French Classic Sever... Requiel please read

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

I'm pretty familiar with the french. Half of my family lives there and i must say i love them to bits but it is a class of its own. Tho i think that a lot of them dont speak english very well (wich is imo really hard to understand cos english is a world language, go somewhere where you dont know the language and speak english and 9/10 they will understand you) but the other part is to stubbern to even try and think that they everyone should learn french.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I agree with the CoC in that I find it rude when people speak a different language in the main channels, and I think all main channel communication should be in the server language.

I do however sympathise with the French subscribers not having their own language server.

@Awarkle: As an E&E, you may not like what the community is saying, but it is still your "job" to feed it back to Goa. Afterall if Goa aren't aware of the feeling they can't address them. The server may be here to stay, but that doesn't mean a French server is out of the question.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Kesxex wrote:There is only ONE solution for it: Make an Esperanto server !!!

The other solution, which would make more sense, is for English to become the official language of Europe, since probably more people speak English in Europe (by country, not population) than any other language.

Also, English is an international language too, thus making it easier for the rest of the world to communicate with us and vice versa.

Maybe the European Parliament could pass a law, making the speaking and teaching of any other language other than English illegal? ;)

I know what the rest of Europe would say to that! Which is the same reason why Esperanto would never be accepted... indeed has never been accepted.

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

[quote="Gandelf"]The other solution, which would make more sense, is for English to become the official language of Europe, since probably more people speak English in Europe (by country, not population) than any other language.

Also, English is an international language too, thus making it easier for the rest of the world to communicate with us and vice versa.

Maybe the European Parliament could pass a law, making the speaking and teaching of any other language other than English illegal? ]

Suppose u want us to learn the words to Rule Britannia as well? Hell, i've seen Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish spoken on Prydwen loads of times & i didnt see u complaining. Get off the political soap box its the year 2005 & as much as u lot h8 it ur european as well..... plus by my count french & french dialects (4 iirc) are official languages in more countries in europe than english (2 iirc)
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not: nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.......

El Grapplo RR10+ ML10 Warden :sheepskip
Silken RR3 Chanter :banghead:
Toothless

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

A rather narrow minded attitude if I may say Gandelf.

Whilst I am sure that you would love to see the europeans adopt English as the common tongue... I am sure that the French would like to see French as the european tongue... the Germans... German... the Dutch... Dutch.. etc etc etc.

Learn tollerance of foreign cultures, languages and beliefs before putting your own desires for others to conform to your ways first.

Now having said that... I believe in the statement I quoted from the CoC. People are made aware of the language of the server and make the choice to join that community. The same as when people move to another country... and IMHO they should learn to fit into the language and culture of the land they live in.

When in Rome.... and all that.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Jupi wrote:Suppose u want us to learn the words to Rule Britannia as well? Hell, i've seen Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish spoken on Prydwen loads of times & i didnt see u complaining. Get off the political soap box its the year 2005 & as much as u lot h8 it ur european as well..... plus by my count french & french dialects (5 iirc) is official language in more countries in europe than english (2 iirc)
Some of US, don't agree with Gandelf, but English i believe is the international business language and the $ is the currency :o i blame the yanks :p
look, no hands!

Now retired

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

Mojo wrote:Some of US, don't agree with Gandelf, but English i believe is the international business language and the $ is the currency :o i blame the yanks :p
damn, I knew those Polish lessons were a waste of moneh
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not: nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.......

Toothless

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

[quote="Gandelf"]The other solution, which would make more sense, is for English to become the official language of Europe, since probably more people speak English in Europe (by country, not population) than any other language.

Maybe the European Parliament could pass a law, making the speaking and teaching of any other language other than English illegal? ]
maybe a better idea is that all the english natives in their greatness move their butts and start learning other languages too?
ofc english is already quasi-official in business,etc but ffs such selfcentrism is just eye-hurting...
seriously, speaking foreign languages and being able to communicate with ppl in their own language is a fantastic thing, so just expecting others to adapt for ur lazy butt is hurting urself
no specifically a go on you Gandelf, but at the attitude as such ;)
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

Jupi wrote:damn, I knew those Polish lessons were a waste of moneh
wrong , wrong :D
you should go to Poland and see how fantastic girls we have
i have yet to meet sb among my foreign pals/friends who's jaw would not fall down seeing them :)
same goes for Slovakia, Czech Rep in the same area.
So bit of polish won't hurt you :)
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

ShiShi wrote:wrong , wrong :D
you should go to Poland and see how fantastic girls we have
i have yet to meet sb among my foreign pals/friends who's jaw would not fall down seeing them :)
same goes for Slovakia, Czech Rep in the same area.
So bit of polish won't hurt you :)
yep my gf is Polish, she trying to teach me the language atm ;)

Toothless

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”