The importance of being earnest... er honest

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Puppet
Emerald Rider

Post by Puppet »

Cromcruaich wrote:Was more interested making public info available regarding lag problems, resotration etc as and when its said. Radar abuse etc needs to be handled as a private matter. Anyway it's almost certainly a moot point as I dont imagine it will even be considered, but could you raise it awarkle, i'm sure you could come up with a viable option that would give access to important discussions regarding patching progress, bug fixs status, restoration status etc while hiding away the irrelevant stuff. Or cant you see any point in some of it being made public directly atall?
I see very little reason personally to open the E*E's board for the public. The things the community needs to know, should be published on the GOA-webby. Ofcourse, if that aint happening, that should be fixed, obviously. There's little reason then to open the E*E boards for the rest of the community just for that.

As for patching progress, bug fix status and such: Personally I think its better to not give out that information at all, otherwise people will go 'OMG YOU'RE STILL TRANSLATING?!?!?! HURRY FGS YOU AINT DOING ANYUTHING ELSE ?!'. Because you know that WILL happen, unfortunaly.
[Tuatha Dé Danann]
Puppethealer - Druid Barun ML10
Spinesprout - Ranger Emerald Ridere ML10
Pricklesprout - Nightshade Gilded Spear ML10
Spikesprout - Vampiir Thunderer ML10
Mushshroom - Animist Brehon ML10
Champtastic - Champion Grove Protector ML7
Scythles - Valewalker Raven Ardent ML10

E&E of Hibernia/Prydwen

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ovi wrote:You used the arguement that the E&E forum should be public to suggest Keriwen was right to make this thread. You have now said that some of what is posted should remain private. Can't have it both ways.

I entirely agree that it would be beneficial to have some public communication. There are things in place for public communication: the home page, GM's posting on FH etc. Yes I know that these are not good enough (Not even convinced Goa would suggest that they are...), but that is the problem to be addressed, not making the E&E forum public, and certainly not abusing the priviledge of access to the forums.
I was suggesting a possible middle ground in response to awarkles post, things arnt always black and white, I realise that and wont doggedly stick to a point I may of made for the sake of it.

Peace brother :D
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Puppet wrote:I see very little reason personally to open the E*E's board for the public. The things the community needs to know, should be published on the GOA-webby. Ofcourse, if that aint happening, that should be fixed, obviously. There's little reason then to open the E*E boards for the rest of the community just for that.

As for patching progress, bug fix status and such: Personally I think its better to not give out that information at all, otherwise people will go 'OMG YOU'RE STILL TRANSLATING?!?!?! HURRY FGS YOU AINT DOING ANYUTHING ELSE ?!'. Because you know that WILL happen, unfortunaly.
On the flip side, why do you think it should be completely closed? I also suggested it should be read only.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Puppet
Emerald Rider

Post by Puppet »

Quinlan wrote:It is not private. There is no NDA or anything signed by the E&E to not disclose that information. GOA is good at quoting contracts.. E&E can be good at that too since there is none

Actually, you're wrong regarding that statement, atleast for myselves. I quote a part of Kemor's E-mail to me:
Kemor-email_two_years_ago wrote: Aside from this, there is also a duty of trust, shared by both you and
myself. Being an E&E will give you a more direct access to me, which will
bring you some answers that are not always easy to pass to all players,
especially because it comes from us. This knowledge is sometimes public is
meant to be shared with all players, but most of the time it is private,
only here to help you to help others. By default, when E&E and I discuss
about something, it is confidential. Taking what I answer, without asking
me, can cause more trouble than good, especially if taken out of context.
Hence this pact of trust, not yet broken by any E&E of Prydwen.
and upon receiving the login-details:
Kemor_email_two_years_ago wrote: These forums are considered as private, which means that nothing said on
these forums must go public unless checked with a GM first.
Personally, I will not break my 'promise' with Kemor, eventho Kemor is no longer part of GOA. I also take it, other E&E's gave some sort of similar promise. Therefore it saddens me to see Keriwin/Avernal uses this as some sort of '15 mins of fame' to generate some fuel which only causes more flaming. See for yourselves, this thread is filled with flames and such.

Personally cant see any better reason then to keep those boards private then this current topic on a public forum.
[Tuatha Dé Danann]

E&E of Hibernia/Prydwen

Puppet
Emerald Rider

Post by Puppet »

Cromcruaich wrote:On the flip side, why do you think it should be completely closed? I also suggested it should be read only.

Basically what you want is some sort of read-only part of the forum where GOA can do announcements.

There's no reason to do that on the E&E forums, as it will be only announcements, where you (or anyone else) cant participate in. Basically its a website/page which some Announcements. GOA already has this, in the form of the News on the website http://daoc.goa.com

As for the rest of the E&E forums content, most stuff handles about logins to test-server(s), bugreports on those servers, bugreports (and abuse) on the life-servers, general E&E-business, naming-abuse (a char called Cocksucker for example) and sometimes personal-stuff. This is not for 'the publics eye'.

The things which should be for the public-eye, should be, and in most cases are, published on the website I mentioned earlier
[Tuatha Dé Danann]

E&E of Hibernia/Prydwen

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Duty of Trust and NDA are two distinctly different things.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

the best name i reported was childabuser who got a name nerf to chairabuser.

made me chuckle.

Either way i asked the question if would open the private forums to the general gaming population and the answer was nope.
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

Takitothemacs wrote:Duty of Trust and NDA are two distinctly different things.
So good work to those who showed they're untrustworthy!

Puppet
Emerald Rider

Post by Puppet »

Takitothemacs wrote:Duty of Trust and NDA are two distinctly different things.
From a 'judge in a court' point of view, yes.

My word (to Kemor/GOA) is worth the same then signing an NDA. And if this thread prooves anything, its simply that some people will do literally everything for their 15 mins of fame and bashing when they dont get it their way(s).

Grats to those gaining some virtual ePeen over the backs of people who trusted you (GOA). Thinking (and perhaps being right) that the communication was at times severly lacking is one of the weakest excuses to, on your own behave, releasing information which was given to you in the first place on a confidential bases.
[Tuatha Dé Danann]

E&E of Hibernia/Prydwen

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

awarkle wrote:the best name i reported was childabuser who got a name nerf to chairabuser.
Class.

I take your point puppet. But cant resist a doing this to death a bit more ....

Part of my original reasoning was that it would stop GMs having to make multiple posts to FH and here to keep people informed, but shaking up the E&E forum to have such an area though feasable may be too much of a headache in itself. Ofcourse one advantage would be that it would be a more formal and central communication channel than current FH/Pryd posting. But I accept that it's plugging a hole rather than solving the comms problem.

Puppet wrote:Personally cant see any better reason then to keep those boards private then this current topic on a public forum.
Infact if it was public as read only then this current topic and its flame wouldnt exist.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”