pry.net=dead?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Banana wrote:k that was a tad harsh gandelf.
Please calm down.

I apologise. Sorry Xest.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Banana wrote:no need for that...
<shrugs> live by the sword, die by the sword.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Cromcruaich wrote:Thats pretty poor Gand. Please specifically say which points are propoganda put about by anti Bush sentimentlists? Im sick of sweeping statements with no substance.

What I meant to say is that it's all very well for someone to say something like, "65% of the British public prefer to travel by train than by bus", when that person hasn't conducted their own poll to support such a statement.

The Internet is probably the greatest source of propganda the world has ever known. A lot of the stuff is quite probably fiction. How can we be sure that what we read is the truth? In my opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think we are in error when we state an opinion as if it's the absolute truth, in cases where we've not actually conducted first-hand impirical research.

Again, I apologise to Xest. I admit I was a little bit harsh.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Gandelf wrote:What I meant to say is that it's all very well for someone to say something like, "65% of the British public prefer to travel by train than by bus", when that person hasn't conducted their own poll to support such a statement.

The Internet is probably the greatest source of propganda the world has ever known. A lot of the stuff is quite probably fiction. How can we be sure that what we read is the truth? In my opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think we are in error when we state an opinion as if it's the absolute truth, in cases where we've not actually conducted first-hand impirical research.

Again, I apologise to Xest. I admit I was a little bit harsh.
I reapeat the question, in Xests reply what do you consider to be propaganda?
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I voted for Xest
Down with Gandy!!!1!
:D

<pulls up comfortable chair>
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Cromcruaich wrote:I reapeat the question, in Xests reply what do you consider to be propaganda?

Simple, it's all propaganda. Propaganda can be both false and true. Everything that anyone says is propaganda. Propaganda is just a metaphor for a stick, which one uses to bash people into submission with. False propaganda is when someone bashes you over the head and says, "Believe my point of view or else!" Truthful propaganda is when someone bashes you over the head and says, "See, I told you I was right, now comply with the truth or else!"

Bush and Blair are a pair of nutters, but we forget that we voted them in and that most of the USA and UK were for the War on Iraq immediately after 9/11. We all share a portion of the blame and the deaths of innocent people and soldiers are on all our hands! The sooner the troops are withdrawn the better.

It's all propaganda. Polly wants a cracker, Polly wants a cracker! ;)

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Gandelf wrote:Simple, it's all propaganda. Propaganda can be both false and true. Everything that anyone says is propaganda
Stopped reading there cause you clearly dont understand the word propaganda:

information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

So, nope not everything anyones says is propoganda

prop-uh-gan-duh
finland:
holland:

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

it also means

information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause

which is the meaning i think gandelf was aiming for.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Propaganda

however..
i personally believe since the troops are there they should stay there.
You cannot start something and then not finish it. It makes the situation alot worse.
Also I agreed with the begining of the war simply cuz Tony Blair had agreed to do it and it would have been dishonerable for the the UK to have backed out after we had given our word. (i blame star trek for enforcing darn klingon ideals!)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Gandelf wrote:Simple, it's all propaganda. Propaganda can be both false and true. Everything that anyone says is propaganda. Propaganda is just a metaphor for a stick, which one uses to bash people into submission with. False propaganda is when someone bashes you over the head and says, "Believe my point of view or else!" Truthful propaganda is when someone bashes you over the head and says, "See, I told you I was right, now comply with the truth or else!"
You are a tad off with that one.

Truthful propaganda would be when in the Wars - only good things are reported and no casulties. (highlighted in 'Good Morning Vietnam' - When Robin Williams the DJ was unable to read about the bombings and casulties - that would have been classed as truthful propaganda)

False propaganda would be when in the wars - the enemy would send a plane over and dump lots of literature saying the war was going badly for their opposing factor and such (as highlighted in M*A*S*H and other Japan/Vietnam Vs US things)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Banana wrote: Also I agreed with the begining of the war simply cuz Tony Blair had agreed to do it and it would have been dishonerable for the the UK to have backed out after we had given our word. (i blame star trek for enforcing darn klingon ideals!)
No, cos it was a war started on lies and because of that there is nothing dishonerable with withdrawing. I also don't agree with..
Long Yellow Fruit wrote:i personally believe since the troops are there they should stay there.
You cannot start something and then not finish it. It makes the situation alot worse.
..because the longer they stay the more aggressive will the iraqi's become. They dont want them there and they sure as hell wont want them more just cos they stay longer. There is no reason for british/american soldiers die fighting for something when the ones they fight for dont want their help or wont show any gratitude.

/Ankh

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”