pry.net=dead?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Gandelf wrote:If someone had gone in to assassinate Saddam before the war on Iraq commenced, then things might be completely different now.
...and stalin...and bush...and mussolini...and Genghis Khan...and Mao Tse Tung..and Pol Pot... I think the answer is no - someone else would proberbly have taken their place

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Gandelf wrote:If someone had gone in to assassinate Saddam before the war on Iraq commenced, then things might be completely different now.
Yeah we might have had a million civilians killed by sectarian violence in Iraq by now rather than a mere 650,000, great idea.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Xest wrote:Yeah we might have had a million civilians killed by sectarian violence in Iraq by now rather than a mere 650,000, great idea.

Always the best things said in hindsight........ :>
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

That was almost done untill the CIA backed out. They where a couple of hours away from actually assasinating him.
finland:
holland:

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Quinlan wrote:That was almost done untill the CIA backed out. They where a couple of hours away from actually assasinating him.
Yip, iirc it was under President Clinton's administration. I also remember that he expressed regret at not killing him after September 11 :s
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Arcsalin wrote:Yip, iirc it was under President Clinton's administration. I also remember that he expressed regret at not killing him after September 11 :s
If he did its pure misdirection. I'm totally amazed at how the bush administration planted this seed that Iraq was connected with the trade centre incident, and that over time how the majority of yanks now believe the association without question. Infact, Iraq under Sadaam was strongly anti- Al-Quaeda, still lets just forget that one shall we, after all, we control or have a military presence across all the land over which oil could be piped or transported to Russia and China dont we, i'm sure that never crossed their minds. Still while theyve been fucking around persuing their own self interested agenda, beneath the completely false rallying banner of a war against terror, the whole of the Far East has been destabalised by the development of North Korea's nuclear program, a country who has sworn to invade Japan. Masterful diplomacy. It's a fuckin sick joke, on us, played out by the pursuit of greed and power by a few bad men.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Cromcruaich wrote:Infact, Iraq under Sadaam was strongly anti- Al-Quaeda, still lets just forget that one shall we, after all, we control or have a military presence across all the land over which oil could be piped or transported to Russia and China dont we, i'm sure that never crossed their minds.
Sorry to pick you up on this matey but, Russia's oil and gas supply is just sick atm on their own soil and has been for quite some time - get set for heavy fuel bills this winter if you live in Europe :E
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Camlann

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Cromcruaich wrote:If he did its pure misdirection. I'm totally amazed at how the bush administration planted this seed that Iraq was connected with the trade centre incident, and that over time how the majority of yanks now believe the association without question. Infact, Iraq under Sadaam was strongly anti- Al-Quaeda, still lets just forget that one shall we, after all, we control or have a military presence across all the land over which oil could be piped or transported to Russia and China dont we, i'm sure that never crossed their minds. Still while theyve been fucking around persuing their own self interested agenda, beneath the completely false rallying banner of a war against terror, the whole of the Far East has been destabalised by the development of North Korea's nuclear program, a country who has sworn to invade Japan. Masterful diplomacy. It's a fuckin sick joke, on us, played out by the pursuit of greed and power by a few bad men.
I'm amazed people on this forum actually believe invading Iraq had anything to do with Al Qaeda or 9/11 tbh. The link for any association with Al Qaeda to Saddam is even weaker than the link between Saddam and WMD.

Frankly I'm not even convinced that oil is the prime reason for the invasion (although was a major bonus), more that Bush senior was upset he didn't get Saddam the first time round, many of Bush senior's friends are still in power and many of those people held the same grudge against Saddam that Senior did, with Junior wanting to please Daddy and 9/11 giving an excuse they were all set. Oil alongside the fact that wars in general provide massive profits for any firm willing to aid reconstruction just made it all that much easier, that is to say it's not particularly just oil they were after but reconstruction and investment in Iraq as a whole, I'm sure there's at least as much if not far more money in being able to provide an entire nation's phone, water, gas and electricity infrastructure as well as construction as there is in the oil industry - with these companies also having strong ties to various members of the Bush administration it was all too easy. The only thing I really don't understand is why we (the UK) joined in, are we really so gullable as to believe false intelligence that Iraq did have WMDs? Was it simply to strengthen political ties with the US? or perhaps we're also acquiring some major reconstruction contracts but if we are, news of them isn't widespread - it seems to be the US companies earning all the reconstruction contracts.

It's all to easy to listen to the Bush administration propaganda and believe that Iraq, Al Qaeda, Iran, Afghanistan are all linked and that Pakistan is some US ally but the fact is Iran hated the Taliban, Iraq hated Iran and Al Qaeda, and Pakistan put the Taliban in power in Afghanistan in the first place. The Kurds sit in the middle getting shit on by everyone whilst launching the odd terrorist attack on Iraq/Iran/Turkey once in a while making themselves even more hated.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Maeloch

Post by Maeloch »

Quinlan wrote:That was almost done untill the CIA backed out. They where a couple of hours away from actually assasinating him.
Like newspaper editors digging around in each others trash, isn't there a tacit understanding between goverments that assassinating each others leaders is not the done thing? I mean, what goes around comes around...
Mael, 50th ment.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Arcsalin wrote:Sorry to pick you up on this matey but, Russia's oil and gas supply is just sick atm on their own soil and has been for quite some time - get set for heavy fuel bills this winter if you live in Europe :E
atm
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”