Jesus Camp Trailer

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

What about the freedom of the people that get put in mental institutions that believe they are god?
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Heta wrote:What about the freedom of the people that get put in mental institutions that believe they are god?
Most of them end up in an asylum for a reason. It's mostly not enough to say "hey, im god!". They usually have to be a danger for themself or others first...which ofc one could claim the religious people do too (and tbh - there are quite a few religious people who actually ended up in jail or the nuthouse because of their beliefs and actions due to their beliefs)

Edit: the line betwen insande and religious can sometimes be very thin - however, its important to make sure you don't do the wrong decisions when you decide their future. If they are no threat to society there is really no reason to thrown them into the mental institute. Also, it's dangerous handle religous people as you might upset others from the same religion who perhaps normally doesnt object to things. As I said, the majority of our planet apparently have some kind of religous belief - so one better be careful.

Edit2: I don't belive in god or higher beings - but Im willing let people convince me or prove me wrong. Especially as I cannot prove that they are wrong - but what I can do is put my faith into scientists who atleast TRY to prove their theories rather than people who's proving only go as far as saying things like "I feel it in my heart" or "I had a vision".

/Ankh

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

As long as you believe whatever you want without the belief that you are any better then anyone else its all fine with me.

Problem is that so often (as reflected in this thread) people who believe one thing find it so easy to say, or atleast suggest, that others are "below them".

Its exactly what the fanatics do, its exactly what you do Gandelf when you say stuff like "your eyes are not open enough to see the truth", who are you to say? Yes I am going to say exactly what you assumed I would say, bull****.

We are both human, exactly the same, I am no better then you, nor you better then me. There would be world peace if people would leave eachother alone saying I believe A you believe B, fine no problem, here have a hug.

edit : here have a hug gandelf.
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

I for one believe that if Jesus was ever to return (If I don't have it all wrong he is suppose to do that sometime according to the bible) he would be one to be put in a mental institution.

And on a side note, when I was around Jönköping and had a taxi ride for about 2h I ended up with a deep believer and I was about to step out of the taxi after half the ride from all his damn BS, I mean comon... if you believe it keep it to yourself and don't keep pushing it on others.
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

If they are no threat to society
If something is a threat to society its religion
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Heta wrote: And on a side note, when I was around Jönköping and had a taxi ride for about 2h I ended up with a deep believer and I was about to step out of the taxi after half the ride from all his damn BS, I mean comon... if you believe it keep it to yourself and don't keep pushing it on others.

Yeah well - Jönköping is the swedish version of "the bible belt". Småland is full of christians trying to force their beliefs on others. I've been there a couple of times and every time you go out for a drink - they turn up to convert you.

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Heta wrote:If something is a threat to society its religion
Depends on. Many parts of it is, but some parts are totally harmless. If a guy decide to pray before he eats or when before going to bed - its not really a threat, but if he starts to curse people and tells them they are gonna burn in hell for their sins - its starting to become a threat...even worse is ofc when they raise their kids into fanatics or decide to wear an arabic folk-suit (i.e the bomb belt)...thats when its a major threat.

Edit: And lets not forget, that sometimes having faith in some kind of god seem to be good for people to survive hard times. I guess dreaming away from reality helps sometimes.

/Ankh

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

<ankh> wrote: I guess dreaming away from reality helps sometimes.
/Ankh
Yeh thats the key. Its how I believe it is, which may or not be wrong.

People look for "easy" ways to happiness, ie ways where they feel they get out more then they put in. Believeing in an allmighty God requires you to put in just that, belief. And in return you get harmony and happiness since you can "blame" (which isnt the "right" way to believe?) or explain everything by pointing to that God. You also get a solid community and dont have to be alone, all with a little effort.

It may be hard to accept or even be aware of, since knowing yourself is about the hardest things for many people, but nomatter how much they argue that its not easy to be "a believer" or reborn or whatever it was called the FACT is they get out more of (or equal) of value then they have to invest.

PS. I am not talking money when I say value ofc, but oh guess what, the christian church (the one with the pope) was doing an ENOURMUS amout of surplus (winnings? profit?) last year. And I do mean wtfmuch money. When I saw the figures I went out of the Swedish Church. (In Sweden most people are members by default and give monthly payments in their salary even if they dont want, you have to activly exit it)
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

It was only a matter of time, that pretty much demonstrates that there are Idiots on both side of the fence :/
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Luz wrote: (In Sweden most people are members by default and give monthly payments in their salary even if they dont want, you have to activly exit it)
That is not entirely true, It used to be like that. They changed it a few years back, 6 years maybe or so not sure how long ago. But I guess most people typing here are above the age limit for that and have to do an active choice to exit the church, now a days you only get written into the church when you get baptised. Personally I didn't get the idea of paying 160€ a year to something I don't believe in so I left it.
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Return to “Off Topic”