My Proposal for /level...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Kallima

Post by Kallima »

Gandelf wrote:My proposal for /level is this:-

/level to level 20 should be removed. Instead, players with a level 50 character would level normally from levels 1-40. At level 40, the /level command kicks in if you already have a level 50 character. You then use /level to get to level 50 instantly.
What do you think?

Doesn't work for me, my characters get from 40 to 50 by free levels and doing stuff they would do anyway.

For example one got level 50 yesterday. She got levels 42, 44, 46, and 48 free. The rest she got doing mls, picking up scrolls for her own and other alts templates, and on arti raids. She was also levelling her artifacts along the way. So she arrived at level 50, already ml10, with all her arties, her template done except for running through the epic to get two items (I'd been putting that off because its boring), and her artifacts all levelled except for the last two which are almost there. They would have been levelled if an arti raid hadn't failed so I was later getting credit for those encounters.

I'd rather /level to 20. Can't do anything useful that low level. 40+ is the useful time for me.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Thing is though, if you're a new player you are probably unaware of the 40-50 slog until you get there. This was true for me. I didn't know there were half-levels until I got to 40.5, because nobody told me.

If you're a new player who has been introduced to the game by a friend who plays it, then you might be aware of the slog, but then if you decide to play anyway, then you've accepted it.

As for making money during the 40-50 slog, yes it's true, but if you went straight to level 50, then you'd be in a position sooner where you can do higher level dungeons, where the rewards are higher.

I don't know really what's the best. Not unless the free-level became 3 free levels? So that if you were eligible for a free level at 40, you would go to level 43, at level 44 you'd go to level 47, at 48 level 50. So effectively you'd only be earning xp the hard way for two levels.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Gandelf wrote:Thing is though, if you're a new player you are probably unaware of the 40-50 slog until you get there. This was true for me. I didn't know there were half-levels until I got to 40.5, because nobody told me.

If you're a new player who has been introduced to the game by a friend who plays it, then you might be aware of the slog, but then if you decide to play anyway, then you've accepted it.

As for making money during the 40-50 slog, yes it's true, but if you went straight to level 50, then you'd be in a position sooner where you can do higher level dungeons, where the rewards are higher.

I don't know really what's the best. Not unless the free-level became 3 free levels? So that if you were eligible for a free level at 40, you would go to level 43, at level 44 you'd go to level 47, at 48 level 50. So effectively you'd only be earning xp the hard way for two levels.
Stuff that I posted that doesnt matter.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

There are more important things in the game than bringing alts to level 50's imo. I've had my share of lvl 50's and most of them are done the old skool way of exping. Sure it was nice with the /level 20 and the free level add - but they should put their energy into other game mechanics. (and imo one of them is making new commers feel welcome).

/Ankh

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

<ankh> wrote:There are more important things in the game than bringing alts to level 50's imo. I've had my share of lvl 50's and most of them are done the old skool way of exping. Sure it was nice with the /level 20 and the free level add - but they should put their energy into other game mechanics. (and imo one of them is making new commers feel welcome).

/Ankh

Well I suppose they could offer bonus xp if you have a lvl 50 & if you leveled with someone who hasn't (to both players ofc), with a 5 level + and - from the level 50's. The more of each in the group (so 4 of each) the better the xp bonus. That would encourgage those who had lvl 50's to level properly with newcomers & therefore newcomers feel welcome & get to get into the game.

As it is /level alienates new players & just makes pl'ing alts easier.
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Genedril wrote:Well I suppose they could offer bonus xp if you have a lvl 50 & if you leveled with someone who hasn't (to both players ofc), with a 5 level + and - from the level 50's. The more of each in the group (so 4 of each) the better the xp bonus. That would encourgage those who had lvl 50's to level properly with newcomers & therefore newcomers feel welcome & get to get into the game.

As it is /level alienates new players & just makes pl'ing alts easier.
Thats a pretty good idea tbh.

/Ankh

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Cromcruaich wrote:Stuff that I posted that doesnt matter.

Your input matters greatly m8y :)
I'm just looking at things from a different angle. Casual players who don't have time to level loads of level 50s can get a bit disheartened... I know I do. It can be hard to keep up with those who play for hours every day.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Took me 30 days + to get my first lvl 50 char (ankh) and I still think it was worth the time :) (think I was second or third lvl 50 bard on prydwen or something).

Edit: As Thand just reminded me - at lvl 40+ you can start with ML's anyway so you will get loads of exp while doing them anyway. So the /level 40-50 command would be quite meaningless.

/Ankh

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

The /level command is one of the most significant things for killing off the new player experience because new players are segregated from experienced players and can't benefit from their experience (and the odd bit of twinking by association to help things along). When the game is just launched and new to everyone then the newbie areas are buzzing. But over time this diminishes and new players entering the game are increasingly starved of people to play alongside. The /level command just makes it worse.

I couldn't see this when I was actually playing DAOC, like most I was blinded by the attraction of a shortcut to getting another toon to 50. But having levelled up multiple toons in WoW (where no /level command exists and there's no easy way to powerlevel) I've seen the flipside. It's great fun starting a new toon in WoW as an existing player. Firstly you don't need a second account or player housing to twink the new toon (in game mail system) and secondly the low levels are just plain fun anyway. Low level characters in DAOC feel weak and slow and don't get into their stride until 20x and above. Low level toons in WoW are more well rounded at low levels and so feel strong and dynamic. End result is more mingling of experienced and new players in WoW which is good for all concerned.

The levelling curve in DAOC is all wrong. The players have always known it and Mythic admitted it too when they put in free levels and /level 20 etc. But free levels aren't the solution, rethinking the whole PVE levelling curve is the answer and Mythic could never be bothered to do this. End result, the game is hard for new players to get started in and when the player base is dwindling anyway that's a real problem. Yes DAOC probably still has the best endgame of any MMORPG, even after all this time, but what good is that to new players if they feel bored and isolated when starting?

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

What if there was a compromise?
If you want to use/level to advance to level 20, then you can.
If you don't and you level normally, when you reach level 2, then you lose the /level to 20, but regain it at /level 40. Then those who prefer to go from 40-50 quickly can do so.

As for it making things hard for new players. I personally do see it. If existing players are so keen not to use /level, then it's up to them not to use it. It's called self-control. But, those who want to use it, then that's their choice. Yes, we play the game to help each other out, but also we play for our own enjoyment and benefit. After all, we all pay a subscription; surely it's our right to play the game how we want to? That sounds selfish, but shouldn't we value freedom of choice? Either don't use /level at all, or use it to get to 20 quickly, but I would like the choice to use it at level 40 so that I can to 50 quickly.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”