What are you guys reading?

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Taardad
Emerald Rider

Post by Taardad »

Qbic wrote:Gonna try your personal favorite out :D
Always looking for good fantasy books so cheers
Enjoy though I have to warn you, a friend of mine who was reading it was complaining that their was to much selfpitty and stuff in it by the main character (understandable after all the misery he has to put up with ;)) and he quit reading.
Just thought I'd tell you before you spend your money on it :)
Taardad the champion of the Artisans Of Willow

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Forgotten Realms/Dragon Lance are quite good too...
but the Foundations series with Asimov rocks :)

Qbic
Emerald Rider

Post by Qbic »

[quote="Taardad"]Enjoy though I have to warn you, a friend of mine who was reading it was complaining that their was to much selfpitty and stuff in it by the main character (understandable after all the misery he has to put up with ]

Hehe thanks for the warning; I already ordered them though (amazon for the win :o ). I saw that he has a few saga's; did you read them all or just the one you mentioned?

Qbic
Emerald Rider

Post by Qbic »

<ankh> wrote:Forgotten Realms/Dragon Lance are quite good too...
but the Foundations series with Asimov rocks :)
Is foundations series science fiction or fantasy? I am not really the science fiction fan; due to the fact that English isn't my mother tongue I find English science fiction books extremely hard to read. Can't be arses reading them in Dutch though O.o I ordered some Forgotten Realms books last week drunk:

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

Robert Jordans, "Wheel of Time" (I think the series is called in english...)

I am on book 14 or something, but they are split in swedish, its only book 6 or something in original english ones..

Its somewhat "teen" fantasy or whatever its called, but I like it :)
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

[quote="Qbic"]Is foundations series science fiction or fantasy? I am not really the science fiction fan]

Its Scifi - but its the best Scifi there is :D Asimov is God of Scifi :P
(together with Heinlein & Arthur C Clark.)

I also strongly recomend Frans G Bengtsons books. Im 100% sure you can get those in English atleast - great books about vikings (wonderful humour)

/Ankh

Taardad
Emerald Rider

Post by Taardad »

[quote="Qbic"]Hehe thanks for the warning]

I read all the books about Fitz, so that's the Royal assasin and Tawny man series. They make one big story with the liveboat stuff as a seperate story but in the same world.
Taardad the champion of the Artisans Of Willow

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Luz wrote:Robert Jordans, "Wheel of Time" (I think the series is called in english...)

I am on book 14 or something, but they are split in swedish, its only book 6 or something in original english ones..

Its somewhat "teen" fantasy or whatever its called, but I like it :)
actualy there is 10 in the english version and 20 in the swedish as they split them in half, I read the whole 20 this month :( I want the last 4 which aint released yet!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Prydwen.net forums.... plenty of Drama ;)

Surprised no one has mentioned the Drizz't Do'Urden Forgotten Realms books by RA Salvatore. I have only read the first 10, with the next 4 ready and waiting until I get some free time :o

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

Taardad wrote:my personal favorit the 'Royal Assasin' series by Robin Hobb, wich is very character based.
I had a problem which them
[spoiler]it all seemed to be going fine and enjoyable then i started to realise how little of the book was left.
it seemed like all the nice plots, storyline ect were all squeezed together and concluded in one chapter which came across as rushed and i didnt like it.
i put it down to being the first book and read 2 and 3 but found they had a similar style which i found frustrating so stopped reading thier books after that.
just my personal opinion of course[/spoiler]

Oh as another matter one of the best reviews i read was about david eddings books, they explained it in such a way that made me laugh.
was something like:
Imagine someone invented cats eyes, brilliant, and impressive,.
Then a few years later they reveal thier latest invention... green cats eyes still useful but not new or impressive and serves the same function.
then a few years later... red cats eyes.... ect
Now change the cats eyes for the belgariad.. mallorian... ect and you get an idea what the books are like.
Techniqally differant and yet effectively the same. <grin>
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Return to “Off Topic”