French Classic Sever... Requiel please read

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Norcott
Emerald Rider

Post by Norcott »

Maeloch wrote:She should join the french rugby team.
as the prop.. :D
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

Dallanah
Emerald Rider

Post by Dallanah »

Its normal first day everyone wanna meet people from their server, from their country, or in game friends, so they keep the spam in all languajes. Now imagine u have been played DaoC for 3 years in a english server, but GoA decide make an ubah classic French server, but no english. You there, trying to find people for exping, and u cant talk a single word into french, what would you do?

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

On the US servers you see dozens of languages being spoken every day on public channels without anyone complaining about it.
Racial purity 4 teh lose :p
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Aerendur
Emerald Rider

Post by Aerendur »

I find it silly to complain about other languages, even though I can imagine logging into glaston for the first time and seeing mainly french can be weird.

Spoken to quite a few people last night. And there apparently still are many germans and french people out there that dont properly speak english.

I would say that as far as possible everyone should speak english, just because thats the most universal language on the server. But you cant say they shouldnt speak their own language either.

We will get used to it. Should at least come some 'rules' for bigger raids. Something like english in main BG, if you wanna speak french/german/whatever, make a CG for it.
US Classic (all realms) & Lance/Alb & Limors

clearbrook
Emerald Rider

Post by clearbrook »

Maeloch wrote:
Like in a lot of ways, British people are someway between the US and europe. Despite taking pride in imperial measurements, most Brits don't realise how metrified they are - go to the US. They still use imperial in alot of fields brits have gone metric - science, engineering, etc., as in general use (would challenge most brits under 35 to understand a US weather forcast).
Yes, a pint of beer in the ordinary british pub is normally just the same as a 330cl continental measure, but with a couple inches of froth added on top iirc.

And of course you can still do this good old primary school joke in Britain

"Would you like to be a farmer when you grow up?"
*kicks victim in the nuts*
"Here's a couple of acres to get you started!"

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Maeloch wrote:Like in a lot of ways, British people are someway between the US and europe. Despite taking pride in imperial measurements, most Brits don't realise how metrified they are - go to the US. They still use imperial in alot of fields brits have gone metric - science, engineering, etc., as in general use (would challenge most brits under 35 to understand a US weather forcast).

They don't have "Imperial" measurements in the US... well not strictly speaking. For example, a US Pint is slightly smaller than a British Pint (1 US pint = 0.8327 pint).

Not that I'm arguing against "Imperial" units. I think they are better in many ways than metric. Metric is fine if you are working in integers and multiples of 10, but when you need to work in fractions, Imperial makes more sense.

No matter what age you are, I bet most Brits (even under 35) would still give their height in feet and inches, their weight in Stones and Pounds, distances in miles and their drinks in Pints or Half-Pints.

I think that decimalisation is a "demon" that needs casting out.

Gattling
Emerald Rider

Post by Gattling »

Thing is, there's also germans on Classic, but apart from the occasional question you don't see them type in German. They have their own starterguild channel just as the Fench and the ones that stay either don't say a thing or type English.

I don't mind people using non-English occasional. Sometimes something is said in Dutch in /as and the Dutch reply to it... it happens, and as long as it's just that, an occasion, it's ok. But when the last 40 lines in /gu are French, and it has been going on for the last 4 hours (that I was online) it starts to become a nuisance. I can understand that people might have problems typing English, after all they're nursed into that for the exact same reason that French and German servers exist. But if people don't even TRY and just clutter up an open channel with utter garbage (that's what it looks to me) they need to understand it's a tad annoying.
Gattling - ML10 RR3 ranger <-- easy RPS :ranger:
Phenomenal - 50 ML5 RR2 Druid
Soraellion - 50 Mentalist
Skilless - 3~ Bard

<Tuatha dé Danann>

various Thid toons
various Alb/Excal toons

Gamblor
Emerald Rider

Post by Gamblor »

i posted this on FH , seeing as this is a very similar thread, here ya go ;P

One of the British national daily newspapers is asking readers

"what it means to be British?". Some of the emails are hilarious but

this is one from a chap in Switzerland ...

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for

A Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a

Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch

American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign.
Gamblor Evilneonhammer Lvl 49 Champ :gamblor:
Samos Lvl 50 Animist
Noobynoodle Lvl 50 Warden
Garibaldi Lvl 47 Vamp
Ickleluwibomb Lvl 39 Chanter
Gambino lvl 39 Dr00d D00d

Mid/Glas

Gamblor Lvl 2x Savage
Yamis Lvl x Spirit Master
FinalFlash lvl 4x Warlock
Chereck Shadowblade
Gambet Hunter

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Gandelf wrote:No matter what age you are, I bet most Brits (even under 35) would still give their height in feet and inches, their weight in Stones and Pounds, distances in miles and their drinks in Pints or Half-Pints.

I think that metrication is a "demon" that needs casting out.
Nationality: British
Height: 1.85m
Drinks in bottles of 7.5 dl (You just don't order a pint of Cheval Blanc, it's not the done thing =/)
Weight: none of your business but not the slightest clue about stones & pounds :p
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

OohhoO wrote:Nationality: British
Height: 1.85m
Drinks in bottles of 7.5 dl (You just don't order a pint of Cheval Blanc, it's not the done thing =/)
Weight: none of your business but not the slightest clue about stones & pounds :p
me neither!
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”