Strength Attribute Idea...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Elrandhir wrote:this is the same really in any RPG, so even though it's sad for those classes with low strenght, it's like it should be really.
Quite a few MMORPGs don't bother with tying carrying capacity to strength or any other attribute. For example in WoW your carrying capacity is limited by the type of bags you are able to equip/afford.

Games need to trade some realism for the sake of gameplay and enjoyability, which is why few MMORPGs force your character to need to eat, drink and sleep to stay alive.

Hrymf
Emerald Rider

Post by Hrymf »

Cernos wrote:Quite a few MMORPGs don't bother with tying carrying capacity to strength or any other attribute. For example in WoW your carrying capacity is limited by the type of bags you are able to equip/afford.

Games need to trade some realism for the sake of gameplay and enjoyability, which is why few MMORPGs force your character to need to eat, drink and sleep to stay alive.
Well, wow lack all the complicated things, which is why it suck, everything in that game is similar to something else, and everyone is similar to someone else, there is nothing unique at all in WoW... As far im concerned, the greatest part in a RPG, where ever its online or singleplayer game, is the many options and the highly complicated way everything you do make you unique.

thats my opinion though, i wont ever call WoW a roleplaying game, its just as much roleplaying game to me as a game of Fifa tbh.
Inzo Nightshade 7Lx
Inzak Warden 8lx
Inzork Blademaster 6lx

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Cernos wrote:Quite a few MMORPGs don't bother with tying carrying capacity to strength or any other attribute. For example in WoW your carrying capacity is limited by the type of bags you are able to equip/afford.

Or go to the toilet. Though I like to think they do it when i'm asleep. Well, maybe 'like to think' is the wrong phrase.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Lasaeonn

Post by Lasaeonn »

They have gone some way to even out the carrying capacity with mounts as when you get to and above Champ level 1 you can have saddlebags on your horse. There is a carry limit of 200 but I am not sure if this is per bag (can have up to 4 when CL5) or per horse. You do have to be mounted to access these bags so it does limit their usefulness.
Lasaeonn Blackstaff the Enchanter GM DarkBlade Mercenaries
Lasander the Bard with no style
Playing also on Gahreis (US Co-Op Server) and in DR Beta

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

I do not agree Gandelf!

In my view of fantasy world, Wizards focus on spiritual sides of their lives, gathering the forces from another dimension to bash their enemies, therefore their physical needs are somehow unimportant.

Barbaric heroes, warriors and a like however find their biggest satisfactions in material joys in life, like raping houses, burning women and looting stuff from dead enemies. Therefore, their physical strenght eventualy becomes bigger, etc :)
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

the whole concept of going to the toilet in a mmorpg is a bit weird i mean how many posts would suddenly appear.

"OMG XXX WENT AND CRAPPED ON MY DEAD BODY"

and

"EWWW WHY IS THE BURNING OIL FULL OF WEE"

i mean it would be so open to abuse with litteral poo flinging that this game would become very twisted indeed and what about sewage issues in housing, you could litterally have burning poos on peoples door steps and play nock and run.

I think there would anarchy in the streets (which would be full of efluent) and then you would have the whole

my luri only does little poos while firbolgs do giant poos its not fair they bury me :(

or luris hiding in poos so the enemy cant target them.

I think ive gone a bit off topic with the whole toilet issue, anyways lets just say that i would say just because a lurikeen is Ittle doesnt mean they arnt strong i mean look at dworfs from midgard :)
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ahh the old luri hiding in the firbolg poo exploit. Such haXX0r.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

HappyG wrote:I do not agree Gandelf!

In my view of fantasy world, Wizards focus on spiritual sides of their lives, gathering the forces from another dimension to bash their enemies, therefore their physical needs are somehow unimportant.

Barbaric heroes, warriors and a like however find their biggest satisfactions in material joys in life, like raping houses, burning women and looting stuff from dead enemies. Therefore, their physical strenght eventualy becomes bigger, etc :)
Your sig is so true and sad ^^
Back on topic, IMHO should give stre as primary attribute to casters too so they can carry more xD
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

I dont want to divert this thread, but the last thing we should do if problems have been sorted out whether its because of the discussion or just coincidence is to rub peoples noses in it (another reason not to have ingame poo), lets just be grateful and move on coz this stuff is giving me a headache now.

Sorry to everyone on the hijack, wont mention again.

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Hrymf wrote:Well, wow lack all the complicated things, which is why it suck
Complicated doesn't necessarily equate to great gameplay. Both over complication and over simplification in a game can cause tedium, it's striking a good balance in the interests of fluid gameplay which matters. WoW has a number of flaws (mainly with PvP) but complexity (or lack of it) isn't the problem.
everything in that game is similar to something else, and everyone is similar to someone else, there is nothing unique at all in WoW...
I know what you mean, with no means to dye/customize gear in WoW it's hard to get a unique look. However, TOA did much the same to DAOC because of artifacts. Pre TOA, equipment for the three realms had their own unique look but now everyone is running around with the same artifacts it's Dark Age Of Clonealot.
As far im concerned, the greatest part in a RPG, where ever its online or singleplayer game, is the many options and the highly complicated way everything you do make you unique.
Couldn't agree more. But how does forcing people to deal with the tedium of inventory juggling or micro managing bodily functions make them unique or make for a fun gameplay experience?
thats my opinion though, i wont ever call WoW a roleplaying game, its just as much roleplaying game to me as a game of Fifa tbh.
DAOC isn't a RPG game either though. It might become one the day people stop fretting about the perfect templates for their characters and how many RPs they need for the next realm rank (i.e. when hell freezes over).

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”