Catacombs release

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Tammuz
Emerald Rider

Post by Tammuz »

Requiel wrote:Because Mythic wanted to break into the European market with localised servers to maximise the potential players but didn't have the resources to do it themselves. So they looked for a European licensee as it's much cheaper to get French and German people to translate English than it is to get Americans to translate into French and German. Also fat licensing fees help a new company more than looking for investment to set up a European server/CS centre.
So basically they did it to cut costs (which invariably leads to a inferior service), didnt have the resources means they werent willing to pay the money, fat licensing fees to help a new company means making money at the cost of the consumer.

Am i the only one who reads requiels posts and see alot more sinicism (Think thats not the right spelling) ?

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

absoloutly :)

cheer up tammuz :) 5 days left :D :D :D :D :D :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Tammuz wrote:So basically they did it to cut costs (which invariably leads to a inferior service), didnt have the resources means they werent willing to pay the money, fat licensing fees to help a new company means making money at the cost of the consumer.

Am i the only one who reads requiels posts and see alot more sinicism (Think thats not the right spelling) ?
Not really, obviously Goa would not be given the game to host for free. If Mythic did that, then Goa could sell the game for less than Mythic as they don't have to pay for dev costs. Think of the licensing as Goa paying their share of the cost to develop the game. The problem is that as English speakers, we don't actually benefit from the added value that Goa provide. The main benefit of Goa's service is that you get to play it in your own national language. This comes for free if you play the Mythic servers (and speak English). We get a cost of slow patching without the benefit of having the game in our native language (as Goa don't do any translating for the English servers).

Also, a new company generally has a hard time convincing banks/lenders to give them more money. They may have wanted to spend the money but just couldnt afford it. Giving out licensing is like pre-selling the game. They let Goa worry about convincing a bank to give them money for the Euro release while at the same time generating capital for Mythic. This is basically a new company spreading the risk and recognising that French and German people are much more likely to do a good job of translating as translating into your own language is going to be better quality no matter how you look at it. Reducing costs can just mean reducing costs, if you get someone who is more efficient to do the job then everyone benefits.

Btw, I think in retrospect, Goa should probably not have been given the English servers. They do not add value to those servers. On the other hand, as some people have pointed out, having a patch delayed can be of benefit.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

i like the events goa do :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Banana wrote:i like the events goa do :)
Ok, we benefit from some of the value added :)
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

anyone checked that Game are stocking catacombs? dont really wanna preorder - would just like to pop into shop and buy it instead...
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Haarewin

Post by Haarewin »

pikeh wrote:anyone checked that Game are stocking catacombs? dont really wanna preorder - would just like to pop into shop and buy it instead...
GAME will not be selling it until the 1st of april. i think thats what it means from Requiels post.
edit: just pre-ordered 'our' 2 copies from play. will see what happens.
i don't have a sig.

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Requiel wrote:The reason there is a delay is because we licence the game from Mythic rather than being an offshoot of Mythic. Blizzard run WoW US and WoW europe themselves and all development is done inhouse in parallel. Both Euro and US players are their customers and so they have a vested interest in keeping both sets of players happy.

<SNIP>

Thanks Requiel for this answer which, as usual, is very informative and helpful. Pretty much answered all my questions so here endeth my moan.

:)

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Monk wrote:power to the russians! :)
(was just surprised, not many ppl know of the rouble :) )

I had a clue or two that one of our regular players was based in Russia, so it seemed only fair to include the rouble in my post :)

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Requiel wrote:Because Mythic wanted to break into the European market with localised servers to maximise the potential players but didn't have the resources to do it themselves. So they looked for a European licensee as it's much cheaper to get French and German people to translate English than it is to get Americans to translate into French and German. Also fat licensing fees help a new company more than looking for investment to set up a European server/CS centre.

You mean Americans KNOW French or German? Blimey, I didn't they knew English let alone any other language.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”