Guilds and Alliances

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Drahminn
Emerald Rider

Guilds and Alliances

Post by Drahminn »

This has probably been mentioned somewhere along the line in small print in a patch note somewhere so please dont hurt me for asking this, in my zombied state reading through 8 full patchnotes im still unsure of why we cant recruit people from excal and likewise recruit from prydwen if guilds are from excal but we can group with them? This also affects the fact they cant be in the same alliance - somewhat hindering the communication cross-realm.

Does anyone have an acceptable reason as to why this is? Also, are there still limits on the amount of guilds in an alliance?

Signed,

Curious DAoC'er

P.S anyone know of any other silly things like this that havent been addressed or likewise anything like this that HAS been addressed in past few patches?

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

The theory is that it makes a de-clustering much easier. Imagine if in a year daoc was really popular again and the cluster was becomming crowded, so they de-clustered, any pryd players in excal guilds would be booted from their new found guild. Also, even if the total numer of players changes, it allows easier re-arranging of the clusters. In fact, alot of people would probably quit if that happened and they really liked their new guild. Not allowing cross server alliances is probably for the same reason, though less justified. There is probably also a technical reason. They would have to re-do all guild and char id tags and re-write alot of the database access code to handle the fact that now they need an extra "server" field in alot of tables.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

from GoA's Erivoss over at Freddyshouse:
Without going into too many details, this isn't possible (at the moment) because guilds are controlled by 2 fields - the guild ID and the server ID and that your character must match both of those fields to be in any given guild. As the server ID of your character doesn't change (it's the ID of the server where the character "lives") it means you cannot join a guild from another server.

This could maybe be changed but it would require modifying the game code which is way out of our control. If you'd really like to see this in game though, I suggest you send your ideas to Mythic via the feedback form they have on their official homepage.

Hope that's answered your question.
:satyn1:

Trez
Emerald Rider

Post by Trez »

Put this in the surgestion thread on FH that Requiel linked to in one of the sticky threads.

Gattling
Emerald Rider

Post by Gattling »

Has nothing to do with Mythic/GOA caring for who is guilded with who and what happens when they would decluster. It's a nice marketing explanation but nothing more.

The actual problem is their database, it simply does not have room for another variable like who belongs to what guild or server. Players and guilds have a database number and per server they start at the same number, so they simply can not merge them because one would overwrite the other. They would have to add a few more variables and anyone who has ever tried programming database arrays will know that there's some things you really don't want to try, because you just KNOW things will go wrong.

It's a technical limitation, has nothing to do with them caring for our friends-to-be.
Gattling - ML10 RR3 ranger <-- easy RPS :ranger:
Phenomenal - 50 ML5 RR2 Druid
Soraellion - 50 Mentalist
Skilless - 3~ Bard

<Tuatha dé Danann>

various Thid toons
various Alb/Excal toons

Drahminn
Emerald Rider

Post by Drahminn »

So translated (not to slag you guys off because i love you but...) another badly designed system which is very rigid with no room for future development. Im sure people will come back for the cluster but find it stagnant as they did when they left thinking "i wish i could guild with them cool guys from Excal, rather than these tards from prydwen" so the arguement about people leaving if they de-cluster (...ahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaaa.....ye, right.) is null and void as they are as many pros as cons. They COULD disclaim that they can join a guild but if a decluster was to occur they would then be disbanded from that guild.

My head now hurts as i tried for 40 mins to think of the words i wanted to use to describe things in this post.

Its what frustrates me with the game as they brought it out with no intention of growth at all, how many people you think would love to guild with other realms etc, yes it may make people quit if they de-cluster but seriously how on earth can you justfy clustering and then de-clustering as a likely scenario?

Can only use the "working as intended megameights!" card a few times before people get wise :P

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

would you rather have cluster, with the problem of not being able to guild with excal players or would you prefer no cluster and..well you still can't guild with excal players then? :D

Drahminn
Emerald Rider

Post by Drahminn »

Sorry if that was a bit harsh :(

Hard day at work...

Ofc im happy merge is here, but tbh there should be room to add these things, thats what patches are for :(

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

I cant really understand mythic - they should make server merge instead cluster. The hope about future's higher daoc player numbers is a joke, every game has its lifespam and time, daoc is over its noon.
So, we cant make alliance/guild from the other server players, so we are still separated in guilds, but not in zones or bgs. I find NO logic in that.
Togusa the Mentalist

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”