For ppl not using Irc. (start doing so!)

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Sharkith wrote:yes - I am confused. :satyn1:
lets discuss this further in a more private way ;)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

aegnor
Emerald Rider

Post by aegnor »

i'm shy

:devlin:
Aegnor Istaril
Elvish Barun
retired :<

judas
Emerald Rider

Post by judas »

dident think there should be so much whine. but i guess as there servers are down ppl dont have much to do. if you all had used irc we chould have had this conversation there tho :)
Ultraviolence.
refers to acts of extreme violence
seemingly performed at random,
or with no clear justification

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

judas wrote:dident think there should be so much whine. but i guess as there servers are down ppl dont have much to do. if you all had used irc we chould have had this conversation there tho :)

it wouldnt be a conversation i'm affraid :)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

ok so have we any pros and cons about IRC or do I have to go through all this and try to figure out what they are?

Something like:

Pros
1) great way to keep in touch with friends who have left the game
2) good for organising groups with people who are not online just yet
3) a good place to grow and epeen if you are into that kind of thing

any more?

Cons
1) fair proportion of ignorant assholes
2) you don't get the dude popping out of the box telling you how to use it and there are risks i.e. do not accept files through it.
3) some serious in game hostility from people you practically do not know
4) the fish

it that about it?

Sharkith
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

[quote="Satyn"]lets discuss this further in a more private way ]

cor.... :o
Na Fianna Dragun

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

judas wrote:dident think there should be so much whine. but i guess as there servers are down ppl dont have much to do. if you all had used irc we chould have had this conversation there tho :)
ohhh that was very clever.... I have it but I am too scared to use it. There are bad Albs and Mids on there.
Na Fianna Dragun

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

IRC is a service.
WWW is a service.

Saying you wont surf the web ever again, because you don't like Freddyshouse is dumb. And obviously same goes for IRC.
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Ethild
Emerald Rider

Post by Ethild »

There seems to be a lot of (in my opinion) unwarranted hate toward the chat medium itself. Hate the users, not the tool. Sure IRC can be full of idiots who get hard by banning other users, but if you find yourself in a room of retards, simply do what you would do in real life... leave.

There are plenty of channels, each run by different people, having a different atmosphere, and completely different purpose. If you end up in the 8vs8 RvR channel and fight someone 24vs8, you are obviously going to get aggro. If you want to play like that then sure, but then why are you in an 8vs8 channel? This seems to be the root of most peoples complaints, I suspect mainly because they don't know the purpose of the channels they are in.

I'll list a few below, and then it's for people to make up their own minds which ones they want to be in.

#E&E.
Owner: ?
Usual Operators: Pup (ethealer), Draakje(?), Jerelyn (?), Thorarin (?), + ?
Description: E&E channel to give them an IRC presence. Has been helpful the times I've used it, but I'm not a regular there. Remember to state your problem if someone can help they will. Don't spam it, and don't PM it to every operator. Is more information in the sticky thread on it.
Expect To Not Fit In If: If you constantly say your problem over and over, you are asking for it. They either read it the first time and can't help, ignored you, or simply are not there to read it.

#prydwen.rvr.
Owner: Rami.
Usual Operators: Alobana (Our tree), Bigchief (PEs Pally/Inf), Doed (Becksvart SM), Mani (SB + ?), Rami (Duh), Me (Hi!), Stupeh (Velan BM), Thadi (Hib etc).
Description: 8vs8 RvR Channel. Discussions (& whine) related to FG RvR. Useful for locating regular groups, seeing which enemy groups are out. Rarely, but sometimes for grabbing group members. Channel is less aggressive now Rami has *finally* removed Madition's (Valgair) op status.
Expect To Not Fit In If: If you run more than 1FG together in RvR, run as a "zerg", add on a fight in progress. Each player to their own means, but thats not what the channel is about.

#prydwen.stealthers.
Owner: Aoln.
Usual Operators: Aoln (Alb scout), Bigchief (PEs Pally/Inf), Carp (Alb Minstrel), ev0 (Snorning Mid Hunter), Mani (SB + ?)
Description: General stealther channel, although often frequented by non-stealthers. Used for stealther discussion, random discussion, and of course, whine.
Expect To Not Fit In If: Hmms. Although the channel isn't always about it, the operators of the channel like to promte 'fair' (in their eyes) stealther fights. If you kill one of them 5vs1 with no hope of them fighting back, you may well get banned.

#daoc.prydwen.
Owner: ?.
Usual Operators: Lots, mainly ex DAoC players, including our long lost Piffany.
Description: This used to be the main channel for DAoC discussion about prydwen. It's now pretty dead and full of ex-players. This would be a good place to look if you want to find an old timer, but pretty rubbish for anything DAoC related now.
Expect To Not Fit In If: No reason. The channel is more of a Op's playground now its not DAoC related. Although the operators are often AFK now, so perhaps less of a playground than it was before heh.

Misc Channels.
Other channels that I CBA to write a long description out for as this is taking a while.
#groove.daoc - Groove from Excal's guild channel, which has kinda merged into a general Excal channel.
#celticfist - Like above for CE, but smaller now.

Guild Channels.
Most guilds have their own smaller channels on irc, normally run by the members of the respective guilds. These are often the places least like a playground, smaller well-knit communities. Some examples:
#ascending.dawn
#daoc.tuatha
#jack.herer
#daoc.maelstrom
#daoc.eclipse

This is by no means a complete list, it's just some channels that I use or have used. Hopefully it will provide a better starting ground for users new to IRC if they know more about the channels they are joining. Perhaps this will help dispell some of the myths about the whole thing being childish. Who knows.
<Severance> GM.
Ethilds RR9 Warden
Minikene RR6 Ranger

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

brilliant post - thanks for the info I might pop along and have a look for myself once I figure it all out. :)

Mods should paste it and sticky it somewhere - not sure where 'cos that would take my other brain cell and I am trying to kill it as I speak - slippy wee fecker

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”