One reason why casters are disadvantaged...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Zil
Emerald Rider

Post by Zil »

maybe its just me, but playing a tank aswell as caster i have never had any problems targeting people. even at range. guess its how you are with the mouse maybe? maybe playing cs helps you :p
Currently Playing Giaz - Skald on Camlann
Maddi 50 Enchantress
Middi 50 Nightshade
Liva 50 Druid
Theia 50 Hero
+ 20 other lvl 50's across Europe
"The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

Dunno, i see some points, targeting in daoc is crap as is, at least if you compare it to other mmorpgs, on mouse and key wise as well. Overlapping mobs, etc. And yes, it is annoying, b/c we all know it, fast targeting is advantage in rvr.
But yes, the mousing target is got even worsen. Imo it affects every class (players).
Togusa the Mentalist

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Quinlan wrote:So basically your saying that since _you_ are lousy at targeting with a mouse it should be made easier.

Right

And fyi the targetting got harder (select on release not on click) last EU patch. Will be easier again next patch

Thanks for that. That has at least made me feel as if things will be moving in the right direction, which sort of only goes to show that there was some truth in what I said.

Of course, not everyone has the best mouse in the world, or perhaps suffers from some kind of physical disability, so the ability to target successfully is also down to personal circumstances.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

My main is a ranger and im affected by this too I guess. But tbh Im glad its not too easy to target as I wouldnt actually survive more than 30 sec in a tower/keep if it was easier. Im suffering from having same situation when I try to target them too ofc but thats part of the game. I mean, once you got them targetted its quite easy..

Anyway, point is that I dont want it to be easier to target for casters OR for any other class that has range as their primary attack - Especially not as range is what counts in NF.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Gandelf wrote:Thanks for that. That has at least made me feel as if things will be moving in the right direction, which sort of only goes to show that there was some truth in what I said.

Of course, not everyone has the best mouse in the world, or perhaps suffers from some kind of physical disability, so the ability to target successfully is also down to personal circumstances.
Which is why it has absolutely nothing to do with game balance and game balance shouldn't be built around the fact someone can't target properly whilst everyone else can.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Nored
Emerald Rider

Post by Nored »

Gandalf, I play a tank myself and I feel the different.

As soon as I come into nuke range of enemy casters, I'm hit, so or it is just you having difficulties with targeting, or I have bad luck.

Tank can run in and fress F8 and stick - which costs time to walk towards your target, you - as caster - do not have that problem - and attack.

But with easy to get MoC and maybe assisting casters, I cannot kill any casters. even though I can insta intercept and hit them in Melee ...

I see no point of saying that casters are disadvantaged.

All classes have advantages, and disadvantaged. But there is no reason to post that here. As that's what is called "Balance"

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Xest wrote:Which is why it has absolutely nothing to do with game balance and game balance shouldn't be built around the fact someone can't target properly whilst everyone else can.

OK, I can appreciate your point, but let me throw something else in to see what people think...

Consider Windows 95/98/ME/XP (in fact most versions). With most versions, in the Control Panel you can select "Accessibility Options" to configure Windows according to personal needs. If you suffer from sort of visual impairment, for example, you can change the settings so that you can make the mouse pointer bigger, change the Windows colours to high contrast, make selecting with a mouse easier, etc. etc.

Do you think that such features should be available in DAoC? Should there be options for players with impairments?

I'm not certain it would be entirely possible, because there would be some players without an impairment who might abuse such features, but if such options are left out because of this, then isn't that a form of discrimination against those with impairments, who might long for such settings?

What do you think?

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Gandelf wrote: I'm not certain it would be entirely possible, because there would be some players without an impairment who might abuse such features, but if such options are left out because of this, then isn't that a form of discrimination against those with impairments, who might long for such settings?

What do you think?
I don't agree that everything should be designed to suit everybody, i think it is unreasonable to expect people to accomodate every secenario and every type of person. i am sure there are games out there which can be played by the physically impared, take solitare for example, so there you go, you have a game that can be played on windows and one that is goverened by settings in the windows accesability options.

Less daoc, more solitare!!
look, no hands!

Now retired

Jupiler
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupiler »

gandelf they made the mob cons +++ and --- so colorblinds could see what level their target is.
&quot wrote:After playing zupiler and repeatedly getting beat by him (bastard)

Moley:)
Emerald Rider
Location: A connection of Tunnels in UK . Ready to take over the world with my mole-brethren!

Post by Moley:) »

Except because of Buff bots casters can cast 5 so fast the tank already dead so u can run right up to some1 and kill em beofre they interrupt you , lose the buff bots , then i would agree that casters disadvantaged.

:moley:
Loktah level 50 Blade Master RR2 l7 :mwahaha:
Moleymoleymoley level 50 Mentalist RR4L5! :stir: *Magical Gesture*moley:
Darksaga level 50 Ranger RR7!! :ranger:

Mid/Glast
Haduken WL level 50 RR3 l7 bunny:
Necronomicon BD RR2l6 Level 39
Darksaga Hunter rr1 l4 Bane of Albion 5670 kills! :mwahaha: level 24

Retired and Retarded

spam: Master Of Spamming spam:

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”