Maybe we should send a message to GOA?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Mailimber wrote:Maybe like others on this board he finally had all he could take of the shite you talk about.

oh and a apology would be nice for the now edited comment you made, or do you feel the people who read it are undeserving of one?
No my comment still stands, it was edited out by Banana and I respect what she does/doesn't want on the forums, that doesn't however mean that I go back on my comment.

Perhaps you should apologise though for your personal attacks on me? Or do you feel it's okay to be completely hypocritical?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Cyfr
Emerald Rider

Post by Cyfr »

I heard Xest corrupted all the items with haxxor.exe

Mailimber
Emerald Rider

Post by Mailimber »

Xest wrote:So it's okay for you to make personal attacks towards someone you don't even know but not vice-versa?
slighty different mate between your not care if we die comment, and me calling you a tit, if nothing else your comment just proved my point. I would have quoted you properly but nana tidyed up after you to stop the wholesale demand for your resignation as a mod.

**i tell you what lets see officialy.

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Mailimber wrote:I dont really care if GoA closed down completly next week, odds are guild would pick a US server and we would all reroll there and start again. I think people should remember that GoA employees are not there to be critised or abused or hounded constantly and throwing events at them that happened well in the past is pointless.
Fair enough, let's say Requiel doesn't have to hear criticisms about GOA.

Who exactly IS GOA's representative that receives customer feedback?

I'm telling you, as a customer facing person myself, when our system has problems, I fully expect to hear from the users about it. I'm not even in a support role, but customers complain to whoever is put in front of them.

In this current situation Xalin and Requiel are the only points of contact we've been given. As such they get to here what we think of their service levels. There's nothing in it against them. Noone is suggesting their personal lives or their personalities are anything to do with the situation. The commentary given concerns their professional roles and the company they represent. I'm happy to direct my complaints somewhere else, if GOA provide the point of contact.

In fact, when you think about it, I never even had a go at Requiel. He came here and commented. In doing so he put himself in the dialogue, and it's not exactly reasonable to say he can come and do that but we should not talk to him about the issue at hand.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Xest, I didnt meant it to come over as an attack or anything. To me you have been a good mod so I dont see a reason why you shouldnt be one anymore. All i ment with my post was the fact that when you see your chance to 'attack' (might be the wrong word) you seem to do so every time.
What i also see is that you got some ppl that dont like you and that also tend to go out of their way to lure comments out of you.

If someone would attack your family then you would take it personal aswell, I think thats how Requiel prolly sees it, you attack his company and he stands up for it. He has every right to take it personal, i would do the same.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Satyn wrote:Xest, I didnt meant it to come over as an attack or anything. To me you have been a good mod so I dont see a reason why you shouldnt be one anymore. All i ment with my post was the fact that when you see your chance to 'attack' (might be the wrong word) you seem to do so every time.
What i also see is that you got some ppl that dont like you and that also tend to go out of their way to lure comments out of you.

If someone would attack your family then you would take it personal aswell, I think thats how Requiel prolly sees it, you attack his company and he stands up for it. He has every right to take it personal, i would do the same.
But again if my family had done something wrong it'd be justified. You're probably right in that I'd undoubtedly even defend my family even if they were in the wrong like Requiel is with GOA - but that doesn't make it right, and as GOA are being paid to run a service they also have a duty to accept criticism when they fail to provide it.

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Xest wrote:But again if my family had done something wrong it'd be justified. You're probably right in that I'd undoubtedly even defend my family even if they were in the wrong like Requiel is with GOA - but that doesn't make it right, and as GOA are being paid to run a service they also have a duty to accept criticism when they fail to provide it.
Shush already!
finland:
holland:

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Xest wrote:But again if my family had done something wrong it'd be justified. You're probably right in that I'd undoubtedly even defend my family even if they were in the wrong like Requiel is with GOA - but that doesn't make it right, and as GOA are being paid to run a service they also have a duty to accept criticism when they fail to provide it.
XEST dammit you always need the last word!
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Puppet
Emerald Rider

Post by Puppet »

Xest wrote:A statement like that coming from you who's still QQing about years old ranger arguments is ****ing hilarious :p I suppose I should feel honoured that I mean so much to you that you just can't let go thinking about me after like 2 yrs :p
Im not surprised you really think like that. Tell me Xest, do you ever leave the house or is the ego not fitting through the door anymore?
As for your comments about not knowing about GOA's backup system, you've merely proven you know nothing about running an IT based service. There should be systems in place to detect corruption, and then roll back to a time where data was non-corrupted
An intrigueing point. Obviously times available where rollbacks are available from are times when a backup is made. There's no easy feasible way for a system to 'know' if the data is corrupted or not. For a dynamic, continously changing set of data you cannot create hashes or CRC-checksums. The amount of 'AI' required for a system to see if a database is corrupted is very hard to create. Trash would be relatively easy to recognize (tho not even realmtime most likely) but dupes and cross-links on a big database is almost impossible to do.

Backupsystems do nothing but make a 'safe'backup of an existing file. If the integrity of the file is broken, the backupsystem does not know about this.
- the point is non-corrupted data shouldn't date back as far as 4 weeks, it's just a precaution in case the data was irrecoverable, after all what if the problem had got worse and the entire database had been corrupted?
Well 4 weeks was a number you came up with (how far backups of the system should made). I already pointed out 4 weeks is silly - as restoring a 4-week old database is something nobody really wants.
They'd have to write off Prydwen. A proper backup system isn't just about keeping a copy of data - it's about maintaining integrity of the backed up data - if you lose data integrity in your backups then your backup system is flawed.
No, no. There's no way a backupsystem knows IF the data which it is backing up is valid or not.
What a lot of people are failing to understand is that had GOA been slightly more unlucky this problem could've potentially escalated to the point of Prydwen being completely obliterated. 10 day downtime is appalling service, but would you still be coming here saying GOA works fine if GOA hadn't been so lucky? It could have just as easily happened purely because as shown here, GOA don't have systems in place to ensure it doesn't if there's a problem.
Ehmmm.. What makes you think they DONT have a backup of 4 weeks old? More to the point: The current solution offered is considered better by GOA then a (bigger) rollback. In the worst case scenario they could have been forced to rollback to a time where the database wasnt corrupted (yet). Your jumping to conclusions that there is no backup at all available. More likely then not there is, but GOA decided NOT to rollback to that backup. Most likely GOA figured (for example) a rollback of a week would been worse then 66.000 items purged. I dont know the exact details on that decision, and nobody does except GOA-employees. I do know for a fact Im far happier with the current solution then a week-rollback. I could have kissed my new druid-template goodbye and remake it. Including asking guildies to craft MP for me... again !
[Tuatha Dé Danann]
Puppethealer - Druid Barun ML10
Spinesprout - Ranger Emerald Ridere ML10
Pricklesprout - Nightshade Gilded Spear ML10
Spikesprout - Vampiir Thunderer ML10
Mushshroom - Animist Brehon ML10
Champtastic - Champion Grove Protector ML7
Scythles - Valewalker Raven Ardent ML10

E&E of Hibernia/Prydwen

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Im not surprised you really think like that. Tell me Xest, do you ever leave the house or is the ego not fitting through the door anymore?
No, I took my photos of Canada and the US from hacking into a NASA spy satellite. Funny how you comment on me not going out yet you're the one who still holds a grudge against me and can't let go after all this time, if your life is so exciting and busy you'd have forgotten about any problems with me long ago.
An intrigueing point. Obviously times available where rollbacks are available from are times when a backup is made. There's no easy feasible way for a system to 'know' if the data is corrupted or not. For a dynamic, continously changing set of data you cannot create hashes or CRC-checksums. The amount of 'AI' required for a system to see if a database is corrupted is very hard to create. Trash would be relatively easy to recognize (tho not even realmtime most likely) but dupes and cross-links on a big database is almost impossible to do.
This was true around 10 years ago, but modern systems are more than capable of performing error checking and highlighting issues long before 66,000 records become corrupted :p Corruption of a database should be noticed long before that. Do you really beleive all the fortune 500 companies for example have database systems that are equally prone to corrupted backup data that's entirely unrecoverable?
Well 4 weeks was a number you came up with (how far backups of the system should made). I already pointed out 4 weeks is silly - as restoring a 4-week old database is something nobody really wants.
4 weeks old data is a billion times better than no data at all.
Ehmmm.. What makes you think they DONT have a backup of 4 weeks old? More to the point: The current solution offered is considered better by GOA then a (bigger) rollback. In the worst case scenario they could have been forced to rollback to a time where the database wasnt corrupted (yet). Your jumping to conclusions that there is no backup at all available. More likely then not there is, but GOA decided NOT to rollback to that backup. Most likely GOA figured (for example) a rollback of a week would been worse then 66.000 items purged. I dont know the exact details on that decision, and nobody does except GOA-employees. I do know for a fact Im far happier with the current solution then a week-rollback. I could have kissed my new druid-template goodbye and remake it. Including asking guildies to craft MP for me... again !
Fair comments - my point is that either way this is unacceptable, this amount of downtime and data loss isn't possible in a company with proper systems in place to deal with this kind of problem and that's the core issue here - it doesn't matter the details, it's the amount of downtime and data loss that's the real issue and shouldn't be possible.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”