Maybe we should send a message to GOA?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

The thing what bothered me most tbh is the fact that we were kept in the dark for so long.

"A problem has occured, but we can't tell u what atm."

Imo we should be kept updated as much as possible, and not have to wait several days to find out what's happening. People say GoA owns the accounts, and we're just using them. I say that's crap, we're the ones paying for em every month, and we're the ones with all the played days and effort put in our characters.

For the items we might have lost, and let's be reasonable, 66.000 items isn't peanuts, so most of us here will prolly have lost something, i think it's not fair we have to check our chars, vaults, CM's and whatever to find out what we've lost. I'm pretty sure i might have lost something and only find out in a month or even longer just cause i don't need it atm and therefor don't think about it. But the thing i don't get is, if GoA checks all our accounts and deletes items, don't they know what they deleted then? If yes, why can't they just restore it then after deleting it?

I already know people now who told me once their subs run out they aren't renewing anymore. Those people have friends in game who will miss them, i know for sure i will miss the people who told me they would quit. And not saying i'm going to quit DAoC, but if i lost items i can't get back, plus the fact that some of my good friends are leaving, then i'm not sure if there is still a reason to play. Time will tell.

About the 10 days compensation, i don't really care tbh. I know what i lost by not being able to play those days, and know i won't be able to get in the next 10 "free" days we get. After all u can't really call it 10 free days, since it are 10 days we already paid for and we haven't been able to play. Yes, we could play other servers, and yes i have spend some time on Camlann instead, but the point is, not everyone is happy they have to or can play another server. If Pryd was up i would never have gone Camlann just cause i wanna play Pryd, and once it's up, i will most likely not play Camlann again. <It's frustrating over there, especially if ur pissed off already ;)>

To Peat, i can understand where u come from, and i don't disagree with u. If it was real life, we could all just go on a strike till we get better terms or compensation. But now we're talking about a game and most people will just be happy they are able to play Pryd again. I know i will, maybe won't be anymore when i found out what items lost, and have to wait days/weeks to get them back.

We'll c.

Oh and btw give free lvl50 ML10 char as compensation imo ;)
Thandruil lvl51 Elf Ranger RR6L3 ML10 CL5 :thand:
Thand lvl51 Warden RR6L5 ML10 CL5:wave:
Vanara lvl50 Animist ML10
Extreme lvl50 Blademistress ML10

GM of Fallen Spirits :ranger:

Retired from DAoC now and started BF2142!

Sehanine
Emerald Rider

Post by Sehanine »

[quote="Thandruil"]The thing what bothered me most tbh is the fact that we were kept in the dark for so long.

"A problem has occured, but we can't tell u what atm."

Imo we should be kept updated as much as possible, and not have to wait several days to find out what's happening. People say GoA owns the accounts, and we're just using them. I say that's crap, we're the ones paying for em every month, and we're the ones with all the played days and effort put in our characters.

For the items we might have lost, and let's be reasonable, 66.000 items isn't peanuts, so most of us here will prolly have lost something, i think it's not fair we have to check our chars, vaults, CM's and whatever to find out what we've lost. I'm pretty sure i might have lost something and only find out in a month or even longer just cause i don't need it atm and therefor don't think about it. But the thing i don't get is, if GoA checks all our accounts and deletes items, don't they know what they deleted then? If yes, why can't they just restore it then after deleting it?

I already know people now who told me once their subs run out they aren't renewing anymore. Those people have friends in game who will miss them, i know for sure i will miss the people who told me they would quit. And not saying i'm going to quit DAoC, but if i lost items i can't get back, plus the fact that some of my good friends are leaving, then i'm not sure if there is still a reason to play. Time will tell.

About the 10 days compensation, i don't really care tbh. I know what i lost by not being able to play those days, and know i won't be able to get in the next 10 "free" days we get. After all u can't really call it 10 free days, since it are 10 days we already paid for and we haven't been able to play. Yes, we could play other servers, and yes i have spend some time on Camlann instead, but the point is, not everyone is happy they have to or can play another server. If Pryd was up i would never have gone Camlann just cause i wanna play Pryd, and once it's up, i will most likely not play Camlann again. <It's frustrating over there, especially if ur pissed off already ]

Well said Thand, i totally agree with you. :)
Sehanine - Nightshade RR7L0
ML7
Fallen Spirits
Plus other unimportant toons.

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Thandruil wrote:For the items we might have lost, and let's be reasonable, 66.000 items isn't peanuts, so most of us here will prolly have lost something, i think it's not fair we have to check our chars, vaults, CM's and whatever to find out what we've lost. I'm pretty sure i might have lost something and only find out in a month or even longer just cause i don't need it atm and therefor don't think about it. But the thing i don't get is, if GoA checks all our accounts and deletes items, don't they know what they deleted then? If yes, why can't they just restore it then after deleting it?
I've said it already but I'll say it again. the items that were deleted were entirely corrupted and it wasn't possible to tell what the slot held originally. Some things were salvageable and they were cleaned up and restored. Other things weren't.

Imagine you see this in the big list of inventory slots for a character.

Slot 1 Guard of Valor
Slot 2 chunk of marble
Slot 3 4p9bma96u
Slot 4 battered pewter cup
etc..

We have no way of knowing what the thing in slot 3 was originally. It may have been an empty slot that got filled with gibberish, it may have been a useful item that got corrupted. So anything that wasn't a valid entry and couldn't be cleaned got deleted. If the slot was corrupted but it was still possible to tell what the thing was originally then the item did get restored.

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Requiel wrote:I've said it already but I'll say it again. the items that were deleted were entirely corrupted and it wasn't possible to tell what the slot held originally. Some things were salvageable and they were cleaned up and restored. Other things weren't.

Imagine you see this in the big list of inventory slots for a character.

Slot 1 Guard of Valor
Slot 2 chunk of marble
Slot 3 4p9bma96u
Slot 4 battered pewter cup
etc..

We have no way of knowing what the thing in slot 3 was originally. It may have been an empty slot that got filled with gibberish, it may have been a useful item that got corrupted. So anything that wasn't a valid entry and couldn't be cleaned got deleted. If the slot was corrupted but it was still possible to tell what the thing was originally then the item did get restored.
The one in slot 3 looks like the password of an account, is it yours? ;)

Nah j/k, but knowing this, don't u think people might just make up stuff then they "had" but didn't have just to get it? Cause by what u just explained, there was no way to find out what the item was, otherwise it would have been restored.

I just think this might tempt some people tbh :(

EDIT: actually nvm, just thought of it u can prolly check in logs if someone did ever receive the item they claim they lost.

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

Thandruil wrote:I just think this might tempt some people tbh :(
Let me rephrase it : It will tempt some ppl for sure.
Togusa the Mentalist

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

[quote="Thandruil"]The one in slot 3 looks like the password of an account, is it yours? ]

my dear: ->f you notice the disappearance of any non-tradeable object you won through a quest or an item needed to continue a quest, please contact our technical support so that they can restore it after checking that you had it before. Equally for artifacts, if one is missing, contact us and it will be restored at level 10, whatever its initial level. Finally, for those who lost objects other from the kind of objects described above, the character concerned will be given money to compensate.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Satyn wrote:my dear: ->f you notice the disappearance of any non-tradeable object you won through a quest or an item needed to continue a quest, please contact our technical support so that they can restore it after checking that you had it before. Equally for artifacts, if one is missing, contact us and it will be restored at level 10, whatever its initial level. Finally, for those who lost objects other from the kind of objects described above, the character concerned will be given money to compensate.
I know, I know ;) <edited my post earlier :)>

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

[quote="Thandruil"]I know, I know ]

thats what you get if you dont listen to me more often :p
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Ovi wrote:I have even avoided replying to most of your discussion points as I know anything I say will get a response from you, purely on the principle of trying to put me down.
Hoho, not exactly the most honest assessment of the situation. The truth is you've avoided discussing the issues at hand in favour of making sniping little quips. My replies to you are asking you to stop doing that. And yes, every time you do it, I ask you to stop.
&quot wrote:We could have made a small rollback on Wednesday evening and not suffered any downtime but without finding and fixing the initial cause we would have basically been hoping that whatever caused the problem in the first place had gone away by itself. I don't know if you think that's a good idea but we certainly didn't. As it happened, when the scale of the issue became apparent, our decision was vindicated fully.
Was the data trawling that took so long part of the fix then? If so, isn't it a bit worrying that you cannot predict who the affected characters are?
&quot wrote:To Peat, i can understand where u come from, and i don't disagree with u. If it was real life, we could all just go on a strike till we get better terms or compensation. But now we're talking about a game and most people will just be happy they are able to play Pryd again. I know i will, maybe won't be anymore when i found out what items lost, and have to wait days/weeks to get them back.
Well ... bear in mind that it IS real life, in that DAoC is just another service provided to us all like our broadband or telephone.

The sort of action I am talking about it not unheard of. In England we call it a "boycott" and it's been used at various times over the years for similar reasons.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

None of the issues you described are a result of any kind of database corruption.
Which exactly? The level 100 troll? It was GOA themselves that stated this was database corruption, are you now going back on this? If so what did cause the level 100 troll. I've also seen GOA state on many occasions, albeit rarely that character corruption does happen. As for this latest incident, how can you contradict yourself so blatantly? Only a few minutes later you posted this:
I've said it already but I'll say it again. the items that were deleted were entirely corrupted and it wasn't possible to tell what the slot held originally.
So just run this by me again, if some of the issues I mentioned weren't the fault of corruption why did GOA lie and say they were? Don't accuse me of being misinformed when I'm going off information provided by GOA themselves, if I'm misinformed about GOA issues then it's GOA who's doing the misinforming.
There were backup procedures in place but for reasons I really can't go into here, those backups were also corrupted.
Backup procedures may well have been in place but were they followed? The fact is, if your backups were also corrupted then you have a horribly flawed backup procedure. Good practice is to ensure offsite backups such that even if the GOA server room burnt down you'd STILL have a good backup. On top of that you should be performing data integrity checks on your data such that there can't be corrupted backups. A good backup scheme would roll across at least 4 weeks.
As Mythic are the developers and thus are the only people who can deal with code problems they had to be involved heavily in the fix.
Ah yes, the blame Mythic cause, this'll be exactly why the problem has never arisen on the US, Italian or Japanese servers then. Oh wait no I forgot, GOA has a special version of DAoC and instead of using perfectly working code and sharing it across versions from US to EU Mythic wrote the EU version of DAoC from scratch inserting lots of added bugs and flaws. They even added in some code that lets a player hack into GOAs servers and also a bit of code that makes people working on Right now take days/weeks to respond as well as an extra little hack that makes GOA's 3rd party billing company charge cancelled accounts, yes that must be it.
How you come by your conclusion that this was caused by our incompetance I really don't know. Unless, as I suspect you are merely guessing and jumping to assumptions that benefit your anti-Goa bias.
Again, I work on information you provide, if you provide contradictory or flawed information then it's a problem of your own making, not mine. Perhaps you should stop spreading misinformation, of course, that's if it IS misinformation and you're not just trying to change your mind as the situation suits.
We could have made a small rollback on Wednesday evening and not suffered any downtime but without finding and fixing the initial cause we would have basically been hoping that whatever caused the problem in the first place had gone away by itself. I don't know if you think that's a good idea but we certainly didn't. As it happened, when the scale of the issue became apparent, our decision was vindicated fully.
Doesn't matter how you put it - 10 days is far, far too long for a fix, for any company. If for example, an internet hosting firm had their servers go down for 10 days they'd be out of business.

You can debate the details of my comments all you want but you can't debate that GOA is an obscenely poorly run and unprofessional company. That's a fact no matter how you try and put it, and GOA remind their customers and everyone else of this on an almost monthly basis. If you don't want to take the flak then it's upto you to make sure your management deal with the problem by putting more time, effort and money to offering a higher quality, much more professional service. Don't however come here and try and pretend the issues don't exist or are always the fault of someone else, after all, even if it is, it's upto you to sort that supplier out, and if you can't then change supplier - sure you're tied to Mythic for the game itself, but that doesn't excuse your connectivity/billing/support/hardware/advertising/distribution problems.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”