WoW is bloody ace!

Home for our World of Warcraft players on prydwen.net
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Hoonius wrote:Quality, exactly how it is
Yet to see any system in a MMORPG that comes close though.

The biggest advantage of the WoW system over DAoC to me is that the WoW system doesn't make the higher ranked characters significantly more powerful.

Pre-MMORPGs I used to play a couple of FPS's, iirc one fo them had a ranking system which was based on 90 minutes of play less the top 30 minutes (to take away the *lucky* minutes). That way as long as you played for 2 hours in the week, you would have exactly the same chance as anyone else.

Don't think that would currently be pratical on a MMORPG, but the idea mgiht be good :)

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Cryn wrote: I've seen people during the last day or so boasting about "600 honourable kills" but been grouped with them in PVP and seen them run about ineffectually with no conception of important things like staying in heal range, using CC, etc.
Problem with Honor system is that you have kill counter, and Blizzard didn't explain well enough that there are contribution points that matter, not kills...
Blizzard wrote: A solo level 60 killing a level 60 enemy: worth approximately 166 points if they're rank 1 (although within a few weeks many level 60s will be rank 3 or higher, in which case the value would be about 190 or more).

A solo level 60 killing a level 48 enemy: worth approximately 20 points.

Obviously, if you were grouped you would get significantly less per kill due to splitting the points.

This is something to consider when planning out your evening PvP excursion...
When people will find out that 500 kills in a zerg means same as one solo kill, they will eventualy give up zerging.
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

Ovi wrote:
The biggest advantage of the WoW system over DAoC to me is that the WoW system doesn't make the higher ranked characters significantly more powerful.

:)
but isnt that a fact, high skilled soldiers can erase alot of unskilled ones, the past showed this, take samurais or elite squad's.

Arkaon / Karak-Norn
and plenty of other chars between 10 and 30

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Alexandrinus wrote:but isnt that a fact, high skilled soldiers can erase alot of unskilled ones, the past showed this, take samurais or elite squad's.

Ofc, But this is a game, and not a war! The losers need to be able to get some fun otherwise they will go and do something else instead...

An organised & skilled full group can still erase more than their number of Pick-ups, even without getting extra uber abilities.

Generally speaking play time will increase skill, practice makes perfect etc, they don't need to be given a further advantage of over-powering realm abilities.

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Tbh i want to see the reaction of many people when they realise the 1000+ kills they made in the zerg at Hillsbrad didn't get them even at the 3rd rank.

The system is new and pvp is new in general, it's quite annoying now but it will get better imo. Already made 2 levels the last days despite the constant ganking.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Argyleyn wrote: Already made 2 levels the last days despite the constant ganking.
XP my end hasn't been that badly affected either to be honest. More of a need to run as a group in many places but that was always handy anyway, even before Honour

I do feel sorry for all the solo people though. WoW always seemed a good game in that you could, if you really wanted to, solo pretty much everything expect instances.This isn't as much the case anymore.

I always thought it was double edged anyway. Un-Groupable people (the rude/illiterate/stupid despite constant reminders) could still complete the level grinding, which makes for a proportion of the level 60s to be of no use to the others, the ones who are group friendly.

Hi Ho, still a rocking game though

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

I actually mostly solo'ed, just avoiding popular spots...You will be surprised at how many people go for the elite panther area at STV and fail to notice anyone 2 m away.

alemain
Emerald Rider

Post by alemain »

southshore on daggerspine is the emain of the server.constant raids going on there, kill 1 horde get 2 free >:) .

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

It's like that on every server i think, amg was nothing compared to the tower between TM and SS. STV has quite some action too, you can xp quietly for 1-2 hours and then suddenly get killed 6 times on a row.

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Tbh STV on Spinebreaker is a nightmare if u are solo, fun as hell if u are grouped.
My warrior rocks btw :P
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Return to “World of Warcraft”