The Plus and Minus points of clustering.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Elrandhir wrote:Damn you Pikeh, seems Im just to slooow -_-
hah, pikeh wins again! :cowgif:
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

pikeh wrote:whats the point in playing on so many servers? you dont get anywhere really, why not just stick to one server and try and progress further on that? a lot of people dont want to start new servers facing the fact they will have to PvE to 50, get ML10, make new friends, get a TOA template etc. Sure, having a quick change to say, a thid alt on excalibur may be fun in the short term, but it soons loses its appeal as you realise youve levelled out of thid and now you face another 25 level's, getting ML10, getting good equip so you can even start thinking about PvP at 50, getting good friends, a good guild to help you, having a decent amount of money, its all too much hassle for most players. You said yourself you work 10 hours a day, so why not just stick to one char instead of chopping and changing. None of them get really high rr so that char dosent really progress at all. all seems a bit wasted, but hey, its your account (s).
Tbh sometimes if you get frustrated on the game/server it does help to swap server and play other realm..not that I do it myself, but I can understand the traitors :arti: who do :)

/Ankh

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Elrandhir wrote:Bleh, why the need to play that many servers =P played for rather long time myself, even though it´s not as long as some.. never felt I needed nother server then Hib/prydwen really.

Ok this would probably been different if my IRL mates would have moved ofc.

Simple answer: choice.

More complex answer: moods. When I log onto DAoC I am sometimes in the mood for a bit of soloing, sometimes a bit of RvR, sometimes a bit of questing, sometimes to do something a bit different. Sometimes I want to play my high level hibs (highest being 50 and 46 atm), on other times I just like pottering around in a lowbie alt to do a few quick dings. Also when cata was released in the US I wanted to try all the new classes to see which i liked best, and currently the heretic and vampiir are ahead. I do also like exploring all three realms because that gives me a feel for the full extent of the game - I'm a bit of an anorak.

So mood swings, and having a choice on what to do when the mood grabs me, are important to my enjoyment of the game. Hence my concerns at the result of, effectively, one English server in Europe.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Bah, need to stop now, I started to say I dident want the Clustering and now Im going towards yes just because it was fun arguing, dunno what I want soon =P

Still I guess the later because I think it will probably be needed, and that it probably will happen whatever I think ^^
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Elrandhir wrote:Bah, need to stop now, I started to say I dident want the Clustering and now Im going towards yes just because it was fun arguing, dunno what I want soon =P

Still I guess the later because I think it will probably be needed, and that it probably will happen whatever I think ^^

i think clustering will be needed, im just thinking of the death of solo rvr.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

pikeh wrote:i think clustering will be needed, im just thinking of the death of solo rvr.
But it doesnt have to be the death of it..it's just that the area's that you usually hang out might get abit too hard from it :)

/Ankh

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

pikeh wrote:whats the point in playing on so many servers? you dont get anywhere really, why not just stick to one server and try and progress further on that? a lot of people dont want to start new servers facing the fact they will have to PvE to 50, get ML10, make new friends, get a TOA template etc. Sure, having a quick change to say, a thid alt on excalibur may be fun in the short term, but it soons loses its appeal as you realise youve levelled out of thid and now you face another 25 level's, getting ML10, getting good equip so you can even start thinking about PvP at 50, getting good friends, a good guild to help you, having a decent amount of money, its all too much hassle for most players. You said yourself you work 10 hours a day, so why not just stick to one char instead of chopping and changing. None of them get really high rr so that char dosent really progress at all. all seems a bit wasted, but hey, its your account (s).

Kind of got me there Pikeh :) It took me 18 months to get my first level 50. It's only taken me half that time to get another 2 50s and have 2 more alts homing in on the magic number. And you're right in your assessment of what happens with other alts, they don't move as fast as my hib mains, the guild does get small in both numbers and numbers of friends, but atm they are only alternative game options for when I fancy a break.

There have been times recently where there have been some right plonkers hovering around hib and spoiling ML raids with spam and indiscipline. Instead of yelling abuse at those people I go and play on a different server/realm where they are not present and where I can be anonymous, which is a good release sometimes.

On a more serious point, I would recommend to anyone who might be interested in seeing what the future of the game looks like to get an account on the US servers and play some alts over there. I've tried to share my experience on clustering over there in these forums, which is why I'm coming at this from a very specific viewpoint. I like the US servers because you do get the chance to compare and contrast with the international version that GOA produce and sometimes the differences can be quite stark.
Briannon
------------
Badvicar EvilIdiot: level 3x heretic - Anywhere/Gaheris
Bardsimpson Botoxxbuddy: level 50 bard - Hibernia/Gawaine
Botoxx Injections: level 50 animist - Hibernia/Gawaine
Bowlina Botoxxbuddy: tiny ranger - Hibernia/Gawaine
Briannon Silverblades: level 50 nightshade - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)
Draccula TheCount: level 46 vampiir - Hibernia/Gawaine
Playmate Ofthemonth: level 50 enchantress - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Ankh Morpork wrote:Correct me if Im wrong, but you won't get forced to limit you chars to 1 realm if clustering. The way I understod it all you would still be able to have like chars on exc-mid and chars on pry-hib only they all share the same frontier... I could be wrong ofc. (while if you had chars on exc-hib and pry-hib they wont not only have the same frontier but the same homeland too..)

But perhaps you got Hibernain chars on both Excalibur and Prydwen and want to seperate them?

/Ankh

No ankh, the key thing is the cross-realming prevention measures. Under clustering, if I log onto my hib/pryd characters I could not then log onto my alb/excal characters for X hours afterwards. I set my alts up this way so I could enjoy both hib and alb without cross realming.

Also, if I was to buy a new account for my kid to play along with me they would only be able to create alts on one realm. So if I wanted my kid to play with me on my hib and alb characters I would have to buy two accounts - one for alb alts and one for hib alts.
Briannon
------------
Badvicar EvilIdiot: level 3x heretic - Anywhere/Gaheris
Bardsimpson Botoxxbuddy: level 50 bard - Hibernia/Gawaine
Botoxx Injections: level 50 animist - Hibernia/Gawaine
Bowlina Botoxxbuddy: tiny ranger - Hibernia/Gawaine
Briannon Silverblades: level 50 nightshade - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)
Draccula TheCount: level 46 vampiir - Hibernia/Gawaine
Playmate Ofthemonth: level 50 enchantress - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Ankh Morpork wrote:But it doesnt have to be the death of it..it's just that the area's that you usually hang out might get abit too hard from it :)

/Ankh
its dead already, and a fresh influx of alb / mid duo's or stealther zergs will be thinking exactly the same thing. "Ok, so occasus bridge or edda island may be busy, lets go and hunt some in a less crowded area". fun. :bandit:
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Briannon wrote:No ankh, the key thing is the cross-realming prevention measures. Under clustering, if I log onto my hib/pryd characters I could not then log onto my alb/excal characters for X hours afterwards.

Also, if I was to buy a new account for my kid to play along with me they would only be able to create alts on one realm. So if I wanted my kid to play with me on my hib and alb characters I would have to buy two accounts - one for alb alts and one for hib alts.
...unless you just wait for those X hours :) Tbh, thats a pretty fair deal imo. But then its not a matter of not being able to log on with your mid/alb chars...its just a matter of you not being able to wait for abit :P

/Ankh

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”