The Plus and Minus points of clustering.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Rami

Post by Rami »

Briannon wrote:Maybe none. But every character reaches a point where it can do no more unless a new expansion comes out.

If you have level 50 ML10 RR12 - what is there after that?

But having said that, a PvE server (or co-operative as Gaheris is more accurately described) is a variation on the main game, not a complete alternative so it will reach a point where development is arrested. It's part of the deal when you sign up to that style of play.
You can keep on RvRing. Unlike PvE no fight in PvP is the same as the last one. Every fight is different, new challenges and new enemies. That's what's after that. And besides, getting lvl 50, ml10 and RR12 takes ~20 times longer than just getting to 50 and ML10.
shotz:

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Kallima wrote:I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that game age and quality is not the only factor in number of players, the actions of those running the game are important too.
hm... well... I have nothing more I want to say now =P think all has been said really, wont get any smarter by this neways :P
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Elrandhir wrote:but it will noone can stop that really on a game that is as old as Daoc, or what do you think?

Although I've been playing for some years now, if clustering of excal and pryd goes ahead I will move permanently to the US servers where I can still exercise a choice over realms and style of play. I currently have hibs on one cluster, mids on another and albs on a third. Also I have all three realm alts on Gaheris (the co-op server). I also have alts on the Role-player server (yes, they have DAoC role-play servers too) and on the large population servers - all with just one account.

With that level of choice available to me, why would I want to stay in the Europe game if all I have is one realm and one style of play (normal servers only)?

Clustering excal and pryd would lose GOA my THREE accounts - would clustering replace me with three new accounts, all of whom would de facto be limited to one realm only?

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Rami wrote:You can keep on RvRing. Unlike PvE no fight in PvP is the same as the last one. Every fight is different, new challenges and new enemies. That's what's after that. And besides, getting lvl 50, ml10 and RR12 takes ~20 times longer than just getting to 50 and ML10.

Got me there m8 :) can't argue with a single point in that post, so I won't :)

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Briannon wrote:Maybe none. But every character reaches a point where it can do no more unless a new expansion comes out.

If you have level 50 ML10 RR12 - what is there after that?

But having said that, a PvE server (or co-operative as Gaheris is more accurately described) is a variation on the main game, not a complete alternative so it will reach a point where development is arrested. It's part of the deal when you sign up to that style of play.
Well, at level 50 ML10 rr12 I think its time for me to quit the game or help others to get rp. The thing is, you can PL your char to 50 in 2-3 days..you can get ML10 in just a few days if your lucky (well, it IS possible if ppl are willing to do it and have time) but RR12 isnt possible to get with PL...
Not sure about you but I personally dont want to cap my char in 1-3 weeks time..
Also, many of the abilities in the game are mainly ment for PvP/RvR so what to do with them if you remove it?

Reason I play this game is I like the whole idea about 3 realms fighting against each other, sure I like PvE alot (the amount of chars ive got is a proof of it) but I wouldnt have stayed this long time if it wasnt for the RvR. RvR is the thing that makes DAoC stand out from the crowd..

Edit: Also, its really nice to take break from PvE to do RvR from time to time...or RvR to PvE.

/Ankh

pikeh
Emerald Rider

to briannon :)

Post by pikeh »

whats the point in playing on so many servers? you dont get anywhere really, why not just stick to one server and try and progress further on that? a lot of people dont want to start new servers facing the fact they will have to PvE to 50, get ML10, make new friends, get a TOA template etc. Sure, having a quick change to say, a thid alt on excalibur may be fun in the short term, but it soons loses its appeal as you realise youve levelled out of thid and now you face another 25 level's, getting ML10, getting good equip so you can even start thinking about PvP at 50, getting good friends, a good guild to help you, having a decent amount of money, its all too much hassle for most players. You said yourself you work 10 hours a day, so why not just stick to one char instead of chopping and changing. None of them get really high rr so that char dosent really progress at all. all seems a bit wasted, but hey, its your account (s).
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Briannon wrote:Although I've been playing for some years now, if clustering of excal and pryd goes ahead I will move permanently to the US servers where I can still exercise a choice over realms and style of play. I currently have hibs on one cluster, mids on another and albs on a third. Also I have all three realm alts on Gaheris (the co-op server). I also have alts on the Role-player server (yes, they have DAoC role-play servers too) and on the large population servers - all with just one account.

With that level of choice available to me, why would I want to stay in the Europe game if all I have is one realm and one style of play (normal servers only)?

Clustering excal and pryd would lose GOA my THREE accounts - would clustering replace me with three new accounts, all of whom would de facto be limited to one realm only?
Bleh, why the need to play that many servers =P played for rather long time myself, even though it´s not as long as some.. never felt I needed nother server then Hib/prydwen really.

Ok this would probably been different if my IRL mates would have moved ofc.
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Damn you Pikeh, seems Im just to slooow -_-
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Briannon wrote:Clustering excal and pryd would lose GOA my THREE accounts - would clustering replace me with three new accounts, all of whom would de facto be limited to one realm only?
Correct me if Im wrong, but you won't get forced to limit you chars to 1 realm if clustering. The way I understod it all you would still be able to have like chars on exc-mid and chars on pry-hib only they all share the same frontier... I could be wrong ofc. (while if you had chars on exc-hib and pry-hib they wont not only have the same frontier but the same homeland too..)

But perhaps you got Hibernain chars on both Excalibur and Prydwen and want to seperate them?

/Ankh

Sardine
Emerald Rider

Post by Sardine »

Plus:
More people out and about
Will be easier getting groups for those solo people ;<<
RvR will be fun again
DH and Eclipse can run as 2 FG's and kill the alb zerg for us <<o/

Minus:
Lots of zergs
More competition between the 2 servers