How long will DAoC survive?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster

How long will DAoC survive on the European servers?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:18 pm

More than 20 years
91%
More than 20 years
6%
More than 20 years
No votes
More than 20 years
2%
More than 20 years
2%

Total votes: 53

Gandelf

How long will DAoC survive?

Post by Gandelf »

A simple poll... Going by the number of players who are leaving the game, how long do you think DAoC will continue on the European servers?

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

It will go for a long while. Most likely when the commercial version is downed we will see a couple of freeshard servers that take over for the hardcore players.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

My guess is about another 3 years of official support
& then maybe another couple of years semi-modded on some backwater server before the official servers get turned off
As long as the subs keep the hamsters fed I guess

Then as Kes said there'll still be some freeshards around somewhere for years to come, but I enterpreted the question more in the sence of "how long will there be officially GoA-supported DAoC servers"
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

i think warhammer will be the deathnoll of daoc :(
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

So do you think that a time might come when there are not enough players for a particular realm, that that realm will cease to exist? E.g. if one realm became so underpopulated that it could no longer defend keeps, towers and relics etc? Would Mythic have to lock relics and keeps from being captured because the underpopulated realm was unable to respond?

Inquisitor Raal
Emerald Rider

Post by Inquisitor Raal »

Its at the stage now where there simply isnt sufficient active gulids to claim all towers/keeps in hib and mid - where as albs can claim all theirs plus keeps/towers in enemies realm aswell. - This puts us on the back foot before you even look at the active population of numbers.

Albs took our relic - Do we have enough peeps to back up anyone who looks to try and launch a raid ? I doubt it. Time will tell.
Caylan Raal
-The Inquisitor-
Retired from DAoC...Reforming in WAR!

Asunawa in AoC
-Assassin-

Dardalion
Emerald Rider

Post by Dardalion »

Gandelf wrote:A simple poll... Going by the number of players who are leaving the game, how long do you think DAoC will continue on the European servers?
All European servers? dont know & dont care tbh, Pryd / Excal 12 more months tops if that.
Fighting Enviro-crime irl 8-)

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I think your poll options should have been
1 year
2 years
3 years
4-5 years
more than 5 years

I don't think they'll lock relics/keeps, just the strongest will take them.

My prediction for new year 2007 is:-
Albs have 4-5 relics
Mids have 1-2 relics
Hibs have 0-1 relics
Albs have perma-iRvR in both Hib & Mid
Mids also have perma-iRvR in Hib (where they go to try & escape the RR10+ Alb caster-zerg in Mid)
Hibs struggle to keep 2-3 keeps green
GoA have no clue what to do to remedy the situation.

<huddles under tinfoil hat>
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Wyst
Emerald Rider

Post by Wyst »

Well the downward spiral seems to be gaining momentum from what Ive seen in the last month or so, at least from a pryd/hib perspective

Some of the biggest (members wise) guilds are dwindling to almost nothing, and I certainly include the MH from that perspective.

The last bastion of a big guild as far as I can tell is NFD, and rumours abound on FH today with regards their continued participation on cluster

Virtually all casual players ( I also include casual rvr-ers in this description) have pretty much left the game on Hib Pryd. There are still a few left dotted around, but I would guess that the hib population is now at about 85% Excal 15% pryd, but that is a rough guess.

The numbers are now at that critical stage where there are just not enough people to be able to find a friendly face to group with, interact with or whatever on even a semi regular basis, tho I imagine there are a few set GGs who dont necessarily see this. Beyond NFD GG1, GG2 and GGG I would struggle to name even one other regular guild group/fixed group of hib pryd players.

As I dont generally see the game ruled by a pure desire for fg 8v8 though, I see the decline in other areas as more prominent, and it seems everyday another pillar of our former community or two disappear as they too see the decline having got to the stage where there is no more fun left.

The last remnants who will be here to switch off the lights will almost certainly be some hardcore competitive guild group bragging to no one in particular about how they OWNed everyone else

Xmas could be a very depressing period for the last bastion of Hib Pryd players and it would be hard for even the most optimistic of people to gainsay this situation.

Whilst many are looking ahead to WAR, it seems an awful long way away with the current state of decline.

I have no intentions of going anywhere just yet, rerolling to another server doesnt hold the appeal for me that I can see for the fg brigade, so when it stops being fun I will just have to break the addiction

<with a heavy heart>

Wyst
Wyst Fullthinker 50 Warden ML10 BM RR8+
Vilcleft Cullthinker 50 BM ML10 BL RR5+
Ydrys Bard ML10 Soj RR4+
Hegglion 50 Voidy M10 convoker RR3+
Grusalug Hero, brainless ML8 WL RR3+
Cwmblyss MotherofWyst ML10 Conv RR2+
Ydryst Darkside screamer ML10 RR4+
Arnfiorgrit Valewalker ML8 RR3+
Molarbfloem Druid ML10 Perfector RR6+
Quickflick NS ML5 RR3+
Some others of lesser note on other servers of no consequence

All now asleep and probably forgotton

Mambopoa

Post by Mambopoa »

As a side question...

Has anyone ever seen any advertising for DAoC in the past or now?

I have never seen any and only heard about the game through word of mouth.

I have no intentions to stop playing yet, but with less people around its getting harder and harder to play.

Perhaps it is too late to advertise the game now, even with the new expansion turning up. Since new people would have such a hard time getting started now.

It is nice to see a few old faces returning, but with more stopping than starting, even for them it is not the experience they once had.

However, it would be nice to see a few new players around.
Mambopoa,Awod,Xebecs,Dowa,Bearian.
Some how ended up as a Wild Hunter

Now on the other side of the pond. USA :D

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”