/agrees with ankh :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Sharkith wrote:
Finally I also disagree with Satyn on one very important point. Not all guilds should merge. Some of the guilds in this community are unique and remain an important part of the community even if they are less active than they used to be. It would be a crying shame for some of these guilds to disappear and merging is not the best solution in such instances. Not by a long shot.
I think you might have missunderstood me or i might have explained wrong but I agree that merging isnt for everyone. And with merge I dont really mean disband the guild but to take your alts and put it in another guild so if you felt like it you could have the fun from a bigger guild and if you didnt feel like it you could always go to those chars left in your own guild.
For some guilds its impossible to merge with another guild, like a roleplay guild for example.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Ovi wrote:Should only be 1 or 2 GMs imo... too many chief's etc.

Yes, I can see the logic behind that. It makes sense. So, if there are only going to be 1 or 2 GMs, then when a merger does happen, then surely there should be vote amongst the members of the newly merged guild to choose who should be GM/GMs? That would be democratic.

I'm not saying that the following is true in this case, but some players form guilds just so that they can be GMs and nothing will make them give up being GMs. Whether they have the qualities to be GMs, however, is another matter entirely. Again, that comment is not directed towards anyone in particular, but is just something that I think happens.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Satyn wrote:I think you might have missunderstood me or i might have explained wrong but I agree that merging isnt for everyone. And with merge I dont really mean disband the guild but to take your alts and put it in another guild so if you felt like it you could have the fun from a bigger guild and if you didnt feel like it you could always go to those chars left in your own guild.
For some guilds its impossible to merge with another guild, like a roleplay guild for example.
ahh cheers we agree then. :)

I can see what your driving at too Gandelf - makes more sense now and I also agree that some probably just want to be GM's an thats that. I do find it hard to imagine why anyone would want to be but hey each to their own! :)
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Gandelf wrote:Yes, I can see the logic behind that. It makes sense. So, if there are only going to be 1 or 2 GMs, then when a merger does happen, then surely there should be vote amongst the members of the newly merged guild to choose who should be GM/GMs? That would be democratic.

I'm not saying that the following is true in this case, but some players form guilds just so that they can be GMs and nothing will make them give up being GMs. Whether they have the qualities to be GMs, however, is another matter entirely. Again, that comment is not directed towards anyone in particular, but is just something that I think happens.
When a merger between similar size guilds happens there is an issue to be resolved. If one guild is significantly larger than the other in my opinion the smaller guild should get an officer spot and no more.

The existing guild has the GM(s) in place. If they aren't trusted by the smaller guild to run the merged guild effectively then don't merge.

The best guilds I have been in have effectively had 1 and only 1 GM. Everyone has trusted them and they have had support from a small number of trusted officers. The operative word is trusted. If the trust doesn't exist then the merger shouldn't happen anyway.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Ovi wrote:When a merger between similar size guilds happens there is an issue to be resolved. If one guild is significantly larger than the other in my opinion the smaller guild should get an officer spot and no more.
I personally think this should depend on the people on the small guild. There might be some good people at arranging things in the guild even though its small.
Ovi wrote:The best guilds I have been in have effectively had 1 and only 1 GM. Everyone has trusted them and they have had support from a small number of trusted officers. The operative word is trusted. If the trust doesn't exist then the merger shouldn't happen anyway.
If trust exist - there should be no reason to deny the small guilds GM an GM position in the bigger guild. But I do agree on one thing, the best is if there is just ONE guildmaster...and loads of officers :)

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

<ankh> wrote:If trust exist - there should be no reason to deny the small guilds GM an GM position in the bigger guild. But I do agree on one thing, the best is if there is just ONE guildmaster...and loads of officers :)

/Ankh
/disagrees with ankh - ended quick oh well..

reason being...well err GoS..

and appologies if brining that up upsets peeps :/
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Banana wrote:/disagrees with ankh - ended quick oh well..

reason being...well err GoS..

and appologies if brining that up upsets peeps :/
I ment for the practical reason. We had a member in Ashen who had GM status who quit playing and sold his account. All of a sudden an unknown player turned up in our guild and had GM status that we couldn't do anything about at all.

Whats GoS?

I totally prefer to be a grunt still Banana, but if you need a leadership (which you proberbly do) I think having one GM and several officers is much better. Democracy is good but can also lead to endless of meaningless discussions imo. So having loads of officers discussin and then a GM to make the final decision based on the officers thoughts/ideas is imo the best thing. This ofc requires a GM who doesnt act selfish or ignores officers just cos he dislike them. Voting for changes is a good thing :)

Edit: I have to mention that when Ashen Circle was "Shadows Of Light" we ended up in another situation because of having just one GM (Shisou) <does the cross sign>. The GM decided to quit daoc and as apparently the name of the guild was something he used in Counterstrike he refused to let us take over the guild as "we would bring down the name into the dust" (proberbly true - but who the hell are Shadows Of Light anyway? :P). Anyway, this led to us having to ditch the guild and create a whole new guild from scratch. We disliked him so much that the really old ashen members still use the name Shisou <does the cross sign> as a curse :P

/Ankh

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

To me its not only the GM that matter but the officers aswell. FS has a bunch of great officers. FS used to have 4 (i think) GM's and that only brought arguments cos one didnt agree with the other blablabla. Now its me and thand and tho we sometimes dont agree with things we just turn to the officers for advice. Imo officers should have a say in everything otherwise there isnt a point of having them. IMO!
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

Gandelf wrote:After all, they are giving up their own guild for the benefit of the larger guild.
Actually Gand, if a large/r guild merges with another one, and let's say the other guild has 2 active members, i think those 2 members benefit more of the merge than the large guild does. And u can't expect that one or even both of those people become GM of the large guild. It just wouldn't be fair to all other members in the large guild.

But then again, why are we even having this discussion? The thread was made to give people the possibility of merging. It's not as if someone is being forced to. So if a small guild decides to merge with a larger one, they make the decission out of their own free will, and they will know any advantages or disadvantages up front.

In the end it's more fun playing somewhere active and have people to talk to, make new friends etc instead of just logging on every day and being bored.
Thandruil lvl51 Elf Ranger RR6L3 ML10 CL5 :thand:
Thand lvl51 Warden RR6L5 ML10 CL5:wave:
Vanara lvl50 Animist ML10
Extreme lvl50 Blademistress ML10

GM of Fallen Spirits :ranger:

Retired from DAoC now and started BF2142!

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”