English as a universal language

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Sharkith

English as a universal language

Post by Sharkith »

yes people really do need to know English sadly thats unavoidable in todays world - for all the wrong reasons (i.e. Empire and imperalism). This however does not mean we should be intolerant. UK peeps are the ones who couldn't be arsed to go learn German, Dutch or French. We know where the weakness is in this whole thing (in the UK) and its better to be honest about that rather than expecting everyone to become little Englanders.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

just communicate by numbers... the universal language of science ;)... or even binary

heard a great one liner the other day...

1101100010110001001010110110011010101111011010011010101101111010110011010101001101010011011010110111

I mean thats hilarious... if just a little in poor taste!
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Sharkith wrote:yes people really do need to know English sadly thats unavoidable in todays world - for all the wrong reasons (i.e. Empire and imperalism). This however does not mean we should be intolerant. UK peeps are the ones who couldn't be arsed to go learn German, Dutch or French. We know where the weakness is in this whole thing (in the UK) and its better to be honest about that rather than expecting everyone to become little Englanders.

I don't really see why it's a problem, Why not English aswell as some other language?

It's wide spread, more or less everything is in English, on the net, Games, Movies, well ofcourse these things can come in other languages also, but being English is most common really.

Ofcourse some other language could have been this wide spread instead under other circiumstances, but I don't really see why it matters ;D

I guess it would be nice if all spoke Swedish, but being so small I guess that aint all to viable =P
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

[quote="Elrandhir"]I don't really see why it's a problem, Why not English aswell as some other language?

It's wide spread, more or less everything is in English, on the net, Games, Movies, well ofcourse these things can come in other languages also, but being English is most common really.

Ofcourse some other language could have been this wide spread instead under other circiumstances, but I don't really see why it matters ]

No point arguing if you don't get what I am driving it. I prefer diversity and prefer to have it preserved wherever possible. Thats the crux of my disagreement here.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

您好吗 8)

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Sharkith wrote:yes people really do need to know English sadly thats unavoidable in todays world - for all the wrong reasons (i.e. Empire and imperalism). This however does not mean we should be intolerant. UK peeps are the ones who couldn't be ****d to go learn German, Dutch or French. We know where the weakness is in this whole thing (in the UK) and its better to be honest about that rather than expecting everyone to become little Englanders.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm merely making a point about the logic of adopting a language (or other system) that is already dominant.
The same could be said about the Metric system of measurement. I believe it was the French who devised the Metric system in the first place (I think it was Napoleon). Metrication has become the dominant system, so it's logical for everyone to adopt it. Indeed, it is now illegal to use the Imperial system of weights and measurements in certain situations in the UK.
No-one is saying that we are trying to turn Europeans into "little Frenchies" by forcing Europe down the road of Metrication. Likewise, we are not trying to turn everyone into little Englanders. It just makes sense that the dominant language should be adopted above all others.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Sharkith wrote:No point arguing if you don't get what I am driving it. I prefer diversity and prefer to have it preserved wherever possible. Thats the crux of my disagreement here.
Elrandhir said "as well as". Which I don't see a problem with. It makes sense in a global world for everyone to have a language in common. However, there is no reason why it should be as a first language everywhere, second language should be fine.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Ovi wrote:Elrandhir said "as well as". Which I don't see a problem with. It makes sense in a global world for everyone to have a language in common. However, there is no reason why it should be as a first language everywhere, second language should be fine.

Yes, I mean as a second language ofcourse, you shouldent have to stop speak you'r main language or have that changed or whatever.

Just haveing it as a second language from a rather young age, all have to learn it here in Sweden, from 1:st grade now, but I think it was 3:rd grade for me.
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

Ovi wrote:&#24744] 8)

Wouldn't be implying that we should all learn Chinese (though which dialect??) as it's used by more people as it's primary language would you?

I'm with Shark - diversity is a beautiful thing. (Just wish I could speak the language of the country I was born in :( ).

As the topic was the merging of servers & there are French & German servers why should they be forced to speak English?? Makes just as much sense as us having to use French or German.

BTW I think the merge is a bad idea, though not for any language reason. It seems that all Europeans take pleasure in bridge camping whatever their native language & I don't think that any bridge on the cluster is currently under-populated.
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Genedril wrote:Wouldn't be implying that we should all learn Chinese (though which dialect??) as it's used by more people as it's primary language would you?

I'm with Shark - diversity is a beautiful thing. (Just wish I could speak the language of the country I was born in :( ).

As the topic was the merging of servers & there are French & German servers why should they be forced to speak English?? Makes just as much sense as us having to use French or German.

BTW I think the merge is a bad idea, though not for any language reason. It seems that all Europeans take pleasure in bridge camping whatever their native language & I don't think that any bridge on the cluster is currently under-populated.

Bah, skip the Chinese comment, saw I missread =P

That Chinese argument was rather weak tbh, because what you said dosent isent really why the English language should be learned, it's because it's so widely spread, and I still don't understand why some have a problem with it being English, as said before, it's not like you have to change language, just learn it as a a second one.

And for the merge thing, noone can really force anyone to speak another language if they don't want to, but for me to want a merge would be that the clustered language should be English, otherwise I don't want the merge to happen either.

people talk their own languages in BG's etc now and again, and that really annoying tbh, ofcourse it can happen by mistake, but if I had the BG and someone keept doing so he would be out fast.

So I can imagine how annoying it would be if to get merged with a none English server.
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”