Are you planning a long vacation?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gandelf

Are you planning a long vacation?

Post by Gandelf »

Here's a nice little tip for those players (with houses) who are unable or don't want to play DAoC for a very long time, but are worried about losing their house. Apologies to those who knew this already, but there may be some new players (or even veteran players) who are not aware of this:-

Firstly, as you know, your lockbox can store a total of four weeks' rent. If your lockbox runs out of rent, your house will be be repossessed and will dissapear. I've always suspected, personally, that this was a marketing ploy by Mythic to encourage players to renew their monthly subscription. In other words, if you cancel your subcription, then you have to renew it within a month if you want to keep your house—very devious! Of course, there are ways around it, such as giving a friend several months' rent and asking him to keep your lockbox full—but if your friend forgets, or stops playing himself, then you'll still lose your house.

The tip is based upon this piece of information from the Housing Manual:-
Camelot Herald wrote:If there is not enough money in your lockbox to pay your rent, the game will check your consignment merchant's funds and deduct the rent from that money. Lockbox and consignment monies will combine to pay a house's rent if neither alone has enough, but their combined sum is.

Basically, all you have to do is put an item for sale on your Consignment Merchant to the value of the rental for the period you wish to be away from the game. For example, if you have a cottage (20g rental per week) and you wish to stop playing for 1 year, then you place an item (any item will do) on your CM with the value of 960g (with additional rental coming from your lockbox).
Next, you give a friend (or a bot from another account) 960g and ask him to buy the item from your CM. You then leave that 960g on your CM and allow your DAoC subscription to lapse. When the rental from your lockbox runs out, your rental will then be deducted from your CM.
Remember to leave a note in your diary, to renew your subscription in a year so that you can continue to pay your rent. If you're not sure if you're ever coming back, then just use all the money available and sell the item on the CM for this amount. If you come back, all well and good, if not, then you've probably had enough of DAoC anyway.

Disclaimer: The above is just a tip. If you decide to do the above, you do it at YOUR OWN RISK! I, Gandelf (and all the characters associated with my DAoC account) accept no liability for any losses experienced as a result of someone using the above tip.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

I just don't see why they don't allow you to leave money on your own CM so that you could just pay your rent annually and ofc leave money in the lock box for the 4 weekly period. So much easier imo than having to go and beg a friend to help ur arse when most cba :(

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

depends how long your vacation is but

20gp a week = 1040 gold a year aka 1 plat 40 gold

one more reason for a bot account you dont need the third party :P
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

you can leave cash on your consignment merchant tho warkle :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

awarkle wrote:depends how long your vacation is but

20gp a week = 1040 gold a year aka 1 plat 40 gold

one more reason for a bot account you dont need the third party :P
Hehe, my house on MLF/Hib has 128 plat on it from selling respec stones I got from when it was easy to animist farm the dragon, I've not checked it in a year, that house will be there for all eternity with that much on the CM ;)
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

loaded my CM with cash before I left for New Zealand. I came back home about 9 months ago, but haven't logged in since I left for NZ :p House is probably gone now :(

Downy
Emerald Rider

Post by Downy »

Bit over 5 plats on CM,so my house staying there for 5 years :knockout:

Hope i will be back by then :p
Downy-SW/BW/SM on War

Craft
Emerald Rider

Post by Craft »

Another tip:

If you wish to transfer funds from one account to another then you can use your house to hold items, Go into your store menu in house buy whatever value you want of stuff, say 1p so buy 4 marble thrones @ 250g each, place them in your house, make sure the other account has rights and bam, pick the thrones up with other account and sell them for no money loss.

!!BEWARE!! This is not the same for hookpoint purchases, they sell back for 3/4 of the price! 1p lathe and youll get 750g Back..
Xest wrote:What's wrong with worms, have you ever tried to kill one? every time you try and cut it in half it becomes twice as hard to kill and over and over until you have an army of partial worms.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Would be far simpler if they just allowed you to do it in the way I mentioned though.

Tammuz
Emerald Rider

Post by Tammuz »

My CM had well over a plat of cash before i left last time and my house didnt exist when i went back as i recently renewed so unless this is a new thing (and by new i mean under 8-9 months) then it doesnt work.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”