Daoc is gonna die?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Dallanah
Emerald Rider

Daoc is gonna die?

Post by Dallanah »

First of all that post is for discuss and if we lucky and some GM read it he can take and idea about how is going.
Second my english is so poor but im gonna try it in all case, be patient if u reading it :)
Said that, here we go! :

I remember when daoc was an easy game. Exping from level 1 to level 50, making epic armour , crafting some pieces and running by frontier. We did big meetings, killing Legion, Princess, Dragon, and those epic mobs from Llyng Barfog or similar (at alb)... Then added Islands and ofc we move and zerg Caer Sidi-Galla...
In that moment people stop exping by mainlands zone, much experience at islands and better drops :(

And then arrive ToA. New caps, new bonuses, new master levels, new classes. Crafts useless except for a 2-3 few pieces, old templates useless, old classes useless... And then New Frontiers and Catacombs. Bigger map, less people, and more quests to do (that helps for level ofc, but mostly quest of catas are doable by a solo player or player + bb).

Imagine now a new player that wanna start playing daoc. He dont know people here, has not bb, has not level 20, has no powerlevel char and dont know anything about classes, fotm especs etc... So good luck leveling 50, good luck making template, good luck getting arties, good luck exping arties, and good luck getting realm rank decent enough for move out and kill something. Last Battleground is for lvl 44 realm rank 3L0, so when u get ur 50 u move to frontier and fight versus old school players rr8+.

Atm lot of people is quitting daoc cause:
1- no time enough to make mls, artie hunts or artie exp.
2- they cant go play frontiers solo, and few groups invite peeps go out die and log.
3- class that was ok time ago is crap atm and u dont have spirit enough for start again leveling a toon.

That means few players are gonna join daoc, and when they do it they easy get bored. Then daoc is gonna be played only by peeps that got chars from the old time and have high RR. And when they get rr12 and they see nothing more coming they bored too. So like title says, Daoc is gonna die?

Now ur turn, discuss and dont flame me pls :)

Diddum
Emerald Rider

Post by Diddum »

TOA didn't bring new classes... si and catacombs did that. I don't the other classes are useless Oo. Catacombs was a good expansion which made it a lot easier to lvl without pl'ing.
Prydwen/Hibernia
Diddum - 4L7 - NS
Oriz - 6l0 - Vamp
Gonz - 3L8 - Druid
Rizo - 3l5 - Hero

Excalibur/Midgard
Gonz - 6L0 - SM
Gonzine - 3L4 - Hunter

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Without new people coming all of this is irrelevant I guess but still.

IMO a L45-50 BG is needed with cap RR5.
In addition pep up the RvR-tasks so you can realistically get to RR5 with them if you so prefer.

Reasons:
Getting to L50 is easy.
Getting to RR3 is easy.
From RR5 onwards your chances of getting an RvR group or killing someome in RvR are considerably higher (i.e.having fun in RvR).
There is a gap between RR3 & RR5 which is neither easy or fun to cross, & TBH, I don't think many people can be bothered to any more.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

i dunno

i still visit corus :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

I'm glad they have added all the expansions or else I would have been bored of DAoC ages ago. Sure, it might be 'harder' for a new player but tbh it's not all about new players, it's abit making the ones that play wanna stay too. Some people (HappyG for example) might concider daoc only be about rvr, but I like pve just as much as rvr (infact, atm i prefer pve as rvr is frustrating). Anyway, point is - without adding new things they would have lost the players they already had...BUT I do understand your point about new players. But as Diddum pointed out: Catacombs made it easier to exp without being PL'd.

Edit: Would be nice if they upgraded Shrouded Isles to make it more attractive. Add scrolls or something to it...hey, even add lesser artifact but just add ANYTHING to make more people use it apart from the ones doing the 5-6 highlevel quests..

/Ankh

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Ankh Morpork wrote:I'm glad they have added all the expansions or else I would have been bored of DAoC ages ago.

/Ankh
I've never quite understood this argument TBH.
I don't get bored with my daughter because no expansion packs have been issued for her.
I don't get bored with Pizza because of the lack of a rumpsteak-&-vanilla-icecream expansion pack.
I still play Diablo 1, Dungeon Keepers 1, Panzer General 1 etc because they were great games & much better than any of the follow-ups.
Some things are fine as they are & don't need 'improving'.

Personally I liked the game most of all before SI.
If I'd known that there was going to be an obligatory add-on every year I never would have bought DAoC in the first place TBH.
-
-

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

OohhoO wrote:I've never quite understood this argument TBH.
I don't get bored with my daughter because no expansion packs have been issued for her.
I don't get bored with Pizza because of the lack of a rumpsteak-&-vanilla-icecream expansion pack.
I still play Diablo 1, Dungeon Keepers 1, Panzer General 1 etc because they were great games & much better than any of the follow-ups.
Some things are fine as they are & don't need 'improving'.

Personally I liked the game most of all before SI.
If I'd known that there was going to be an obligatory add-on every year I never would have bought DAoC in the first place TBH.
Then again, everyone isnt like you. Comparing kids with a game is imo quite lame for a start as your daughter does change while she grow up. Comparing with food isnt either a very good compare as you dont eat nonstop 5-6h every day do you? And even if you did eat 5-6h in a row Im pretty sure you wouldnt eat the same thing.
Panzer general is still good, but if you want true strategy you should play Combat Mission ([url]http://www.battlefront.com)[/url]. I want more realism into ww2 strategy games and unfortunatly Panzer General Doesnt give me enough.
Diablo...better than its sequel but that doesnt mean I wouldnt wanna see improvement..it gets pretty boring to run up and down throug the same dungeon every time. And Dunger Keeper has always been ****e ]Edit:[/B] Im pretty sure my mother would say that i've had yearly (even weekly) expansions added to my life since I was born..hey, at one point I even had a speech implant!
Edit: I can assure you that she have seen more bad expansions on me than mythic ever added to DAoC ;)
/Ankh

Craft
Emerald Rider

Post by Craft »

One word: Content
Xest wrote:What's wrong with worms, have you ever tried to kill one? every time you try and cut it in half it becomes twice as hard to kill and over and over until you have an army of partial worms.

Gamblor
Emerald Rider

Post by Gamblor »

While i do "usualy" enjoy the expansions released for Daoc , i didnt' like Toa .

For the simple fact that , all you needed before , was some itamz that some mobs/quest gave ... and some crafting and out you go for some RvR.

However ToA really did kill off what interest i had in RvR , as i prefer to Solo and NOT use a BB ( Hence Frair , Champ , Heretic and Vamp) But getting up a Full Toa'd Toon for someone who just doesn't have as much time as they used to invest in the game is damm hard.

I have to say now , That i have never played a Game that has just swept me away as Daoc has . I've meet some great people over the years and some truely mind blowingly Stupid people ( Mind you i don't read FH any more :P ),
But I'd say i'll be playing Daoc till the day the shut the servers down for good.

As for the new people , I know of 4 people who have only just started playing in the last month , they have really enjoyed it , however they are really ****ed off with only haveing 1 realm to really play on ( Big mistake mythic) But other than that , they are lvl'ing up themselves ( 2 Pallys , 1 merc , 1 friar) and they are enjoying it . So saying that Daoc is dieing is a bit OTT ( D00m D00m we are all d000000med :P ) .

Well i've got to do something now ... ahh that's it .. Work :(
Gamblor Evilneonhammer Lvl 49 Champ :gamblor:
Samos Lvl 50 Animist
Noobynoodle Lvl 50 Warden
Garibaldi Lvl 47 Vamp
Ickleluwibomb Lvl 39 Chanter
Gambino lvl 39 Dr00d D00d

Mid/Glas

Gamblor Lvl 2x Savage
Yamis Lvl x Spirit Master
FinalFlash lvl 4x Warlock
Chereck Shadowblade
Gambet Hunter

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

anyways ...
If I interpret the original posters intent ...
What does DAoC need in order to extend its lifespan & make it more accessible to a wider public?

Personally I don't think the answer is in continually adding new PvE zones which largely only replace the old zones.

Personally I think RvR needs to be made more accessible & fun for a wider section of players. Mythic have tried several ways of doing this, with varying levels of success, but none have been really successful. RvR remains as it always has been - only really fun for an elite few, & nothing more than an occasional pastime for those of the rest with the highest masochism/frustration thresholds.
-
-

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”