It may have been mentioned before....

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Kari
Emerald Rider

Post by Kari »

Tare wrote:Good work on missing the facts by the way Pheas :p GoA couldn't restore cos there was no way of telling exactly when the corruption started.
Amazing people defend this company over not backing up a database - when their entire remit revolves around maintaining databases and the characters & equipment stored therein.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Kari wrote:Amazing people defend this company over not backing up a database - when their entire remit revolves around maintaining databases and the characters & equipment stored therein.

i think its more of a case of 'been there moaned at that' when this all first happened.
Seriously this whole forum and Freddys house gave goa and (unfortunatly) requiel hell when it first happened and still are in regards to the mess up.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Kari wrote:Amazing people defend this company over not backing up a database - when their entire remit revolves around maintaining databases and the characters & equipment stored therein.
The problem was that the database was corrupted, so the backup was worthless. Having said that, making sure anything that had the potential to corrupt the database was not installed without due care would seem like a good idea :).
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Luinmir wrote:Ok if you had 66.000 Picture on your computer that ppl had sent to you to do Cd of or something and get a viruz ... Can you then tell wich pic is for who later on ?

Cant be easy to find who lost what ?!?.

But i didnt lost a item at all .. and i was in sleep mode from May till 3 weeks ago.
Those that have been sleeping more than 3 month should be ok i think.
Thats what I thought, my 2 main accounts wer untouched and I hadn't played for a while so i thought all was well, but I found out last week that my 3rd acount was missing everything.
look, no hands!

Now retired

rautio
Emerald Rider

Post by rautio »

it is a companies responsibility to maintain backups of there databases, at work we have backups for every day, including incremental backups taken during the day, thats a total of 11 tapes a day, which are kept for a year before being wiped over, and some of them are never wiped over so we have old data going back years.
So we can restore from say yesterday or last wednesday with no problems, GOA did not have this option by the sounds of it, this I was stunned by when I read the reply as it is a daily thing to me.

I am still impressed by the way they worked through solving the issues even if it was self inflicted they could of still done it the swg way and said boo to you and maybe just gave everyone the same compensation regardless of what they lost, but they did not and from an IT perspective I appreciate the hard work the staff have put in for restoring the items they can. This is not defending GOA, who as a company I think do not perform well, but for the IT staff who have worked on the problem.
Thanks

Rautio

:immediate

Blight
Emerald Rider

Post by Blight »

As I understood it, it also had something to do with that they changed how the database stores stuff, to make it compatible with clustering, obviously, they had to add new fields for character names and such as they now have to display what server they are from. And there's prolly more, and the backup they had wasn't compatible with the new database structure or something. Well, that's how I understood it.
Blight eld ml 10
Blaeght mana eld ml 10
Mrbond shade ml 10
Maryan ment lgm tailor ml 2 (house 3259)
Laraev hero ml 5
Nina chanter ml 10
Lukkoye bard ml 8
Shroomss animist
Lokan bm ml 10
Buffysvamp bb and legendary armorer
http://gimpchimp.etilader.com/s.php?u=Leetl

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

Blight wrote:As I understood it, it also had something to do with that they changed how the database stores stuff, to make it compatible with clustering, obviously, they had to add new fields for character names and such as they now have to display what server they are from. And there's prolly more, and the backup they had wasn't compatible with the new database structure or something. Well, that's how I understood it.
It is just their excuse imo - they made main database changes without proper backuping and checks. And they did something utterly, because they got corrupted item IDs and such, which is nearly impossible in a RDBMS.
Togusa the Mentalist

Erce

Post by Erce »

I got my items etc sorted...and i was 481 from the 6th september.

Kallima

Post by Kallima »

Erce wrote:I got my items etc sorted...and i was 481 from the 6th september.
<cheers> Glad to hear you are sorted out now

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

I'm not defending GoA because of that, I'm defending GoA because people keep making up their own facts about the incident. GoA did have backups and they said it it had been possible, they would ofc have used them.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”