Virus Alert !

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Norcott
Emerald Rider

Virus Alert !

Post by Norcott »

Apologies to posting in this forum section but best place imo to get people to read it...
I got this message in the epost.

If meltdown@hotmail(dot)com (bummed the addy as it links) adds you to your MSN Contacts, DO NOT add it
because it's a virus.
PLEASE tell everybody on your contacts because if somebody on your list accepts it then you get the virus too (copy and paste this into a new message because some people do not read forwards!)

dunno how true or if your virus/firewall scanner would pick it up but food for thought and awareness.
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

alduan
Emerald Rider

Post by alduan »

roflcopter...
Audible 6l0 Bainshee omg wtf pwnd stripped by goa
Alduan 5l8 Eldy getting his gear updated

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Are there still people who add unknown people to their MSN or open emails from senders they don't know about still??

/Ankh

Amedor
Emerald Rider

Post by Amedor »

I wanted the screen name meltdown tbh :(.
Retired until further notice

Lothandar
Emerald Rider

Post by Lothandar »

Or here's a better one:

STOP USING MSN FFS

Oh I do so much charity I could just hug myself sometimes

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Nothing wrong with msn tbh :) as long as you dont accept files and let everyone add you to their list :)

/Ankh

Bugzy
Emerald Rider

Post by Bugzy »

Adding a contact does not give you a virus because no actual data is sent to your computer just kept on your hotmail account and msn messenger.

That being said, once the contact has been added, anything he attempts to send may contain a virus. Some viruses are sent without the owner knowing also so the best way to query them about it is to ask them directly.

If the file picture is that of a 'windows logo' then it is often a unknown download which has no real file-opener on your computer. Whilst this isn't always the class it is NEARLY always the case.

Look for download sizes too. If someone is sending you a bitmap picture of a girl naked and it is 19kb then something is seriously wrong as bitmaps are normally horribly big sizes.

Last but least, if a contact becomes online and instantly sends you a file then he/she has a virus. Autoword messages that give links to places are also often virus-links and needs the clarifcation of the owner (who won't know about the links/downloads unless his not infected).
Bard - ML 8 - RR4Lx - 33/37/43
Vampiir - ML 1 - RR3Lx - 38/32/43

Cyfr
Emerald Rider

Post by Cyfr »

This same chain message has been going around for years :D

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Lothandar wrote:Or here's a better one:

STOP USING MSN FFS

Oh I do so much charity I could just hug myself sometimes
er whats wrong with msn?
[19:25] Jupiler: in heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here...when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Bugzy wrote:Adding a contact does not give you a virus because no actual data is sent to your computer just kept on your hotmail account and msn messenger.
I know, but point is - stay away from people you cant trust.

/Ankh

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”