Interesting comment on new server types.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Briannon
Emerald Rider

Interesting comment on new server types.

Post by Briannon »

Was reading this on Mythic's web-site - I've highlighted the bits I found particularly thought-provoking.

This server is just an attempt to meet the needs of a niche group of players. What the heck, right? What do we have to lose by trying it out? It doesn't cost us anything to try, and some people might really like it. Maybe it'll end up being a small and dedicated group like Mordred or Gaheris. Maybe it'll be hugely popular. Maybe it'll be popular at first and then droop like a basset hound. We just don't know until we give it a shot. Better to take risks and work at something than to wait until afterwards and claim to have known all along. Really, I don't see why the industry as a whole doesn't just try off-the-beaten-path stuff more often. This isn't brain surgery or experimental atom splitting. No one dies if we guess wrong. But, I'm going to stop now; I'm digressing from the grab bag into cranky ol' Sanya land.

Maybe GOA could be as bold and try some alternative English-language server type. You know, to give more choice than a single cluster of two servers?

Off beat whacky idea?

Maybe.

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

here we go again .
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

whoever wrote this crap

so its completely free to buy a new server and put the man-hours into configurating and getting daoc to run on it and then maintain it?

sign me up ffs I want a server at home!
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Dorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Dorin »

Luz wrote:whoever wrote this crap

so its completely free to buy a new server and put the man-hours into configurating and getting daoc to run on it and then maintain it?

sign me up ffs I want a server at home!
send some here too :f :cowgif:

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

It doesn't cost them anything? Mythic programmers and IT staff are volunteer workers and their machines are donated by charities then :p ?

Again it just reiterates the problem, the server choice poll was given to all active subscribers and then they just outright ignore the poll and "meet the needs of a niche group of players". How very thoughtful of them :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ixu
Emerald Rider

Post by Ixu »

it doesn't cost cause soon one of english servers will just shut down unspeakable way and there will be this one :p then we gonna roll the clustering with the other !

Flippant Desires
Emerald Rider

Post by Flippant Desires »

Xest wrote:... the server choice poll was given to all active subscribers and then they just outright ignore the poll and "meet the needs of a niche group of players". How very thoughtful of them :p

They had two polls up, one for those with a game login and one for those without.

Would have been more interesting to see what that breakdown was.

Already said too, the new server isn't 'meant' for current players. Very short-term thinking to say it is, as Mythic have said - it's all a bit of a gamble to see if they an get new players into the game.

Don't think using the word 'niche' is very clever either, if the server only attracts a niche following [implication here of small numbers], then it will fail anyway.
Trying out
RIFT, Guild Wars 2 & DAoC (again...)

WoW [retired]

Flippant, Margo, Szleynix, & Plumduff
PvP: Stormreaver {Alliance}, RP: Argent Dawn {Alliance}

DAoC [retired]
Flippant |Szleynix | Brass Monkey

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Flippant Desires wrote:They had two polls up, one for those with a game login and one for those without.

Would have been more interesting to see what that breakdown was.

Already said too, the new server isn't 'meant' for current players. Very short-term thinking to say it is, as Mythic have said - it's all a bit of a gamble to see if they an get new players into the game.

Don't think using the word 'niche' is very clever either, if the server only attracts a niche following [implication here of small numbers], then it will fail anyway.
Problem is like I say the poll for non-subscribers happened like weeks after the subscriber one, so Mythic do that gave all us subscribers the impression that we were getting a new server for us to play, when they did the poll for non-subscribers a lot of us figured oh that might change things a bit but not a lot, and when we saw the poll results that seemed to confirm that.

Then they announced the new server and it was nothing anyone but a small amount of players wanted, that's what's annoying, it was a really cruel bait and switch by Mythic - why even poll us in the first place if they really didn't give a toss what we wanted. They could have changed their minds about their aim with the new server part way through but that doesn't really wash - that's bad management, customers shouldn't be caught up in their indecision.

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Well this is from what GOA have said so far on the subject:
For the moment, no decision has been taken as for the creation of a similar server in Europe. We will measure the success of the American servers before investigating the possibility as your wishes seemed different when we asked you about this subject.
Interesting. Did GOA publish the results of their poll and have they said what the Euro players "different interests" were?

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Cernos wrote:Well this is from what GOA have said so far on the subject:

Interesting. Did GOA publish the results of their poll and have they said what the Euro players "different interests" were?
Different interests to what is the question tho Cernos ;) The US players have different interests to Mythic so I'm not sure if GOA mean different interests to Mythic too, or different interests to the US playerbase. I'm guessing it's more different interests to Mythic, I'd guess home invasion and no-ToA without the buffbot range crap were the most popular amongst euro players too.

I'm sure Requiel wont mind clarifying although he may not be allowed to give exact stats.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”