The Plus and Minus points of clustering.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
pikeh
Emerald Rider

The Plus and Minus points of clustering.

Post by pikeh »

As i see it, soloing in DAoC is getting harder than ever. Logged my shade on yesterday, killed a scout but was rapidly jumped by a rr6 paladin. Fair enough, i was out of the fight so he wasnt adding. Come back for a second run and fire off SL, and manage to get an infi down to 30% before an rr6 scout and the same pally added. Log on my vw, fight that rr6 scout and i think we would both agree that it was a nice fight, (i was on about 30% after a few bow shots and he was on 50%) so it could have gone either way, however, surprise surprise i was added on by a friar , who just healed the scout. so i put weapon away and /rude them both, (go me). I logged my vamp for some hardcore PvE, becuase at least i know mobs dont add when your solo.
So this big mess is what led me to start debating the plus and minus points of server clustering.

Plus points :
More action for GG's and FG's
More roaming rvr
More Competition

Minus Points :
Will never get a solo fight
Division of community
General rudeness from excal people (ive played there for a bit longer than i have hib so i know what its like)
Even more area camper's like the Brynja Defence Squad

So, these are the ones i can come up with. What are your views? A good move or Bad?

I imagine lots of stealther whine and people who have a GG to be quite happy with this change.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

becuase at least i know mobs dont add when your solo.
Have you ever tried killing pygmy goblins or dampwood mites ;) ?

Seriously though, I think you'll actually get MORE solo fights with clustering, on Merlin which will roughly be the same size as Excalibur/Prydwen stuck together there's enough population to sustain RvR in every frontier albeit smaller scale RvR in two of the frontiers usually. Fact is, I know if I want solo RvR on Merlin I have 4 possible places to go - Crauchon, Bledmeer, Benowyc, Boldiam and it's VERY rare I can't feasibly solo on my Theurg in at least one of those areas.

I honestly do feel larger servers just give healthier RvR all round because you tend to find everything from zergs, to pickup groups, to high end 8 vs 8 to duos to solos, large servers just seem cater better for everything except artifact encounters ;)
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

My thoughts but all depends how they cluster

Plus:
More people in RvR, should be able to get more things claimed
Possibly able to get more people for PvE raids

Minus:
Communication issues between servers
ToA will be camped more
Breakdown of community and possible infighting
Unfair on thoose that play both Excal/Pryd
Makes any attempt of an unbiased planned relic raid impossible to keep quiet
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Compton
Emerald Rider

Post by Compton »

also teh alb zerg will become vaster and will lag you to death :p

I'd rather have TOA kept for each server on its own, i.e. no excal wankercampers on prydwen. And ml raids are becoming easy enough we dont need excal imo.

Maeloch

Post by Maeloch »

Zergs are always good for soloing as you can always patrol around em and pick off peeps. 8v8 action isn't really as u just get run over alla the time.

Also, solo atm = 1 or mebbe 2 areas. Clustering will open up some more zones for this.

Mael, 50th ment.

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Compton wrote:also teh alb zerg will become vaster and will lag you to death :p

I'd rather have TOA kept for each server on its own, i.e. no excal wankercampers on prydwen. And ml raids are becoming easy enough we dont need excal imo.
This will never happen Compton. Part of the clusering as far as i get it is that if even only the rvr zones are clustered you can always port to the inner realm from the other server via a telelporter. Requiel explained this clearly on FH.

O and pikeh. Stealthers just need to find another place to 'meet' instead of bryna like it is now.
finland:
holland:

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

Quinlan wrote:
O and pikeh. Stealthers just need to find another place to 'meet' instead of bryna like it is now.
semi retiring my shade now and trying to get VW done, stealth rvr just has no, dare i say "morals". there is no honour- when i do get a solo fight they either run away or totally obliterate me. Not what i call fun really, even ebayed rambo has to grp with an rr4 scout now. Had a couple of nice fights on my VW recently, but only by luck where they not added on. on both occasions a couple of small PUG's have run past just as i have finished the fight.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Question: is clustering being considered purely for RvR reasons? If so then it ignores the other side of the game, PvE.

If GOA seriously contemplate going down the clustering route they should also consider giving Europe a Gaheris-style server that would enable peeps to play all classes in all realms, a small but significant step to redressing the problems that clustering would cause for people who like to play on two realms.

I've gotta say that looking at the discussions on clustering it seems the vote may well go in favour of it so I'm already planning the end of my time in the Europe game. Haven't yet decided whether to sell my house but will let peeps know if I do.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Briannon wrote:Question: is clustering being considered purely for RvR reasons? If so then it ignores the other side of the game, PvE.

If GOA seriously contemplate going down the clustering route they should also consider giving Europe a Gaheris-style server that would enable peeps to play all classes in all realms, a small but significant step to redressing the problems that clustering would cause for people who like to play on two realms.

I've gotta say that looking at the discussions on clustering it seems the vote may well go in favour of it so I'm already planning the end of my time in the Europe game. Haven't yet decided whether to sell my house but will let peeps know if I do.
To be able to play all classes from every realm on one server really is to spoil the whole idea of the game imo -_-
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Elrandhir wrote:To be able to play all classes from every realm on one server really is to spoil the whole idea of the game imo -_-

Not really, it's just a different game experience - there's no RvR and its pure PvE. Totally alien environment for RvR addicts but a nice way of exploring everything the game has to offer in PvE. There is also something a bit wierd (nicely wierd) about having a vamp and a heretic team up to go hunting.
Briannon
------------
Badvicar EvilIdiot: level 3x heretic - Anywhere/Gaheris
Bardsimpson Botoxxbuddy: level 50 bard - Hibernia/Gawaine
Botoxx Injections: level 50 animist - Hibernia/Gawaine
Bowlina Botoxxbuddy: tiny ranger - Hibernia/Gawaine
Briannon Silverblades: level 50 nightshade - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)
Draccula TheCount: level 46 vampiir - Hibernia/Gawaine
Playmate Ofthemonth: level 50 enchantress - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”