New Server Type for the US Game

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Flippant Desires wrote:I see it now :)

You don't like anti-BB because it was only a fraction of the vote.

What then was the purpse of a new server though? You could have any number of server rule-sets, assuming the player-base would support it. I maintain that no BB option isn't going to be the deciding factor behind ppl's choice to rejoin or start as a new player.

I couldn't really care less about the fraction who are motivated by no-BB option. But it's certainly more appealing to hear that this new server won't have BBs. And whether that new server had BB or not, it would still take-up Dev. time.

Yeah it's going to take-up even more time if the server itself is a success (dual patching seems inevitable...), but what's better? A server that attracts new payments, or one that circulates a existing paying customers?

This week Blizz announced that there are now over 3m paying customers of WoW. OK, you can certainly play with numbers a bit. But the fact remains, Mythic need new and old players to start playing, in far greater numbers than they've had through Catacombs etc.

Things like 'home invasion' sound nice, but only to existing players.

I bet Mythic's HR dept. are working over-time, sorting out those incentive packages to keep lead designers...
As I say though, Mythic will also lose customers from this, possibly more in the long term when people realise how flawed ranged buffs are. I totally agree Mythic have done this to try and pull in new or old cancelled players, the problem is we'll never see them as they're on a server the rest of us really don't care about so essentially Mythic are making a poor attempt at lining their pockets at the expense of their existing playerbase and without any benefits to them and that's what I'm annoyed about. As they're making 2 servers they could at LEAST make 1 without the ranged buffs but they're not even doing that :/
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Sturgis Podmore
Emerald Rider

Post by Sturgis Podmore »

Silverbirch wrote:Yeh, good in a way. Be good that every1 has to start from scratch again.
They'll only have to start from scratch if the new server isn't clustered. If it is, then simply roll a Level 1 character, and take him into the frontier to PL him with another character from the same Realm but on a different server.

That should work :)

Hibernia Prydwen

Sturgis Podmore • Lvl 50 Druid • ML5 Perfecter

Albus Dumbledore • Lvl 50 Enchanter

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

just make buffs 2min duration insta casts to be used while in combat... :<
one healer druid and one buff druid thingy
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Xest wrote:As I say though, Mythic will also lose customers from this, possibly more in the long term when people realise how flawed ranged buffs are. I totally agree Mythic have done this to try and pull in new or old cancelled players, the problem is we'll never see them as they're on a server the rest of us really don't care about so essentially Mythic are making a poor attempt at lining their pockets at the expense of their existing playerbase and without any benefits to them and that's what I'm annoyed about. As they're making 2 servers they could at LEAST make 1 without the ranged buffs but they're not even doing that :/

I don't think they'll lose customers Xest, they'll just go back to one of the other server types. Introducing these servers is not replacing or restricting the choice of other servers, unlike pryd/excal clustering where there will be no alternatives for people who don't like the end result.

I can't help chuckling when I read your mails on this because you so remind me of me and the passion I was feeling over the clustering of prydwen and excalibur. You seem as passionately against this as I am of pryd/excal clustering so I almost feel drawn to you as a soul-buddy :)

kaxen
Emerald Rider

Post by kaxen »

damn that would be fun to have on EN servers.
Prydwen
Tuatha Dé Danann
Kxn - Hero
Nxk - Chanter
Animistic - Animist

Camlann
Guildless
Kxn - Eldritch

Sturgis Podmore
Emerald Rider

Post by Sturgis Podmore »

Briannon wrote:...so I almost feel drawn to you as a soul-buddy :)
Get a room :)

Hibernia Prydwen

Sturgis Podmore • Lvl 50 Druid • ML5 Perfecter

Albus Dumbledore • Lvl 50 Enchanter

Scabs
Emerald Rider

Post by Scabs »

I may come back to camelot and play this new server. Only 19.99 + 14.99. Will wait till pay day and give it ago. Start myself a Nightshade and away we go.

But the question is how do I lay my hands on a new u.s. account as I cant get them shipped here.
WAR! - K8 Peaks

Snozzle - 27 Shaman. drunk:

Guild - Pestis
Alliance - Squig Quo Pro
Members - Heavy Metal, Pestis, Brutal DeLuxe, Nocturnal Dawn, BLONDIIN PINGVIIN, De Gale Trolde fra Nord

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Sturgis Podmore wrote:Get a room :)

Eeuuw

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Briannon wrote:I don't think they'll lose customers Xest, they'll just go back to one of the other server types. Introducing these servers is not replacing or restricting the choice of other servers, unlike pryd/excal clustering where there will be no alternatives for people who don't like the end result.

I can't help chuckling when I read your mails on this because you so remind me of me and the passion I was feeling over the clustering of prydwen and excalibur. You seem as passionately against this as I am of pryd/excal clustering so I almost feel drawn to you as a soul-buddy :)
Well I know a few people who are close to leaving DAoC and Mythic going back to the days of ignoring what their playerbase want is enough to push them to really cancel, I was contemplating it myself until me and bamse duo'd a fg of retard brehons with my minstrel and his infil last night, there's just something so priceless about moments like that :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Luz wrote:just make buffs 2min duration insta casts to be used while in combat... :<
one healer druid and one buff druid thingy
Would be a nightmare to play a buffing class in that situation, knowing every two minutes you have to get in range of everyone and pop a whole series of buffs, and then have to do it all again because someone was miles away chasing some archer or whatever.

One possibility would be to completely remove buffs, balancing the classes without them. But people like buffs and being able to help others.

So a better alternative would be to spread the buffs between a much wider range of classes, so that all the buffs aren't concentrated in one character. This I believe is the fundamental mistake Mythic made, giving 90% of the essential buffs to one class per realm.

For example, in Hib you could give strength/con spec to druid, haste spec to warden, dex spec to bard, int spec to enchanter. Thus to have all these specs you need all these classes present and not just a single bot parked at the frontier portal.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”