New Server Type for the US Game

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Gribolg
Emerald Rider

Post by Gribolg »

It will never be the same as the old-skool days. This server is nostalgia that will not last. There is just too much that you know now which you didn't know at the start of the game. I don't like ToA either. I was just starting to be fairly competetive in RvR when ToA was introduced, just as I couldn't play for a measely 2 months due to too much work. When I came back I was back to square 1.

When daoc came out I went to emain in my 20s, 30s, and ha dlots of fun. Do you think many people on this new server will do that? hell no. Powergame to 50, then go pwn people who don't. Why? Because you know how.

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Why such a huge fuss about buffs?

In grouped rvr you will anyway have the blue/yellow buffs from your group's buffers so it will only affect solo people alot. We run for ages with those buffs before we got a bb and ok, we didn't win against MM or Maels, but it wasn't due to red buffs exactly. We did pretty well against everyone else, red buffs or no red buffs. Judging the amount of stealther-solo types that existed, their numbers should be decreased (even if ofcourse i must say i don't know what is going on lately), as people playing stealther classes were almost half as many as all others combined. Yeh, vampiirs would be overpowered if there were no buffs at all, but since most people will have some sort of buffs anyway they only have a minor advantage in that they don't have to rebuff every time they or their healer dies. It won't be nice if you can't find a balanced fg, but it was never really nice doing rvr without one.

Only thing i disagree is losing bg, it made a lot of difference, it would be cool if they could give it to some classes at 50 or 50 shield spec or whatever.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Cernos wrote:
1) The current class balance is largely based on buffbots being available. The most obvious example of this is the new Catacombs classes which are beefed up to exist in a buffbot dominated game. Many of the Catacombs classes will be very powerful on the new server type, Vampiirs especially.
More to the point, class balance going forward will be based on the standard ruleset. The pvp and pve servers had problems with changes that made sense for the normal servers only. All your other points stem from this. Basically, the game cannot be made to be balanced on both server types unless they have access to the same stuff.

IMO, they should add TOA bonus as class abilities for the no-TOA server.

A tank might get bodyguard at level 45 or a specific spec. Faultfinder could be a high spec style. A bard might get egg of youth ability at level 40, croc ring ability at level 45 and harp summon at level 50.

Alternatively, require people to pick a ML path and then get the ML ability every 5 levels. You get the ML 1 ability at level 5 and the ML 10 one at level 50.

This removes all the TOA questing while at the same time making it so there is only one ruleset to balance. The problem is that some people hate TOA for the overpowered abilities rather than the required PVE.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Argyleyn wrote:Why such a huge fuss about buffs?

In grouped rvr you will anyway have the blue/yellow buffs from your group's buffers so it will only affect solo people alot. We run for ages with those buffs before we got a bb and ok, we didn't win against MM or Maels, but it wasn't due to red buffs exactly. We did pretty well against everyone else, red buffs or no red buffs. Judging the amount of stealther-solo types that existed, their numbers should be decreased (even if ofcourse i must say i don't know what is going on lately), as people playing stealther classes were almost half as many as all others combined. Yeh, vampiirs would be overpowered if there were no buffs at all, but since most people will have some sort of buffs anyway they only have a minor advantage in that they don't have to rebuff every time they or their healer dies. It won't be nice if you can't find a balanced fg, but it was never really nice doing rvr without one.

Only thing i disagree is losing bg, it made a lot of difference, it would be cool if they could give it to some classes at 50 or 50 shield spec or whatever.
The amount of buffs available to the standard group in each realm is unbalanced for starters, that was never an issue before cos gaps were filled with bots, it will be an issue now.

I don't know when you stopped playing but the game has changed, with ToA/NF nearly every caster is feasible in some kind of setup, unlike certain previous eras in game where only a certain caster in each realm was worth having, the same for tanks really. The game is better for everyone right now, but losing buffs changes that. NF made soloing a lot more feasible, it meant you didn't have to have a group to compete, whereas youmost likely will now as anyone outside a group wont last 5 seconds. The game has changed but tbh losing buffs is a step backwards in the balance game - about 18months backwards to put a time frame on it. The game is balanced entirely on the amount of DPS a caster can churn out - buffed, the amount of damage a tank can take before reaching a caster - buffed, the amount of damage a tank can do in the time a caster can try to quickcast root the tank off - buffed, and on and on, the game is just so balanced around buffs in terms of DPS, attack speeds, survivability and so on now.

Essentially, whilst buffbots have become essential for balance which is a bad thing, they're also a key factor in assuring the game is more balanced than it's ever been which imo is a much better thing.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Sardine
Emerald Rider

Post by Sardine »

This server won't have old frontiers or the RA's we had at begining of the game, I wouldn't want to play in NF without ToA tbh.
gone...

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sardine wrote:This server won't have old frontiers or the RA's we had at begining of the game, I wouldn't want to play in NF without ToA tbh.
No idea why Mythic didn't do home invasion using OF + no ToA, it made far more sense. As I said earlier the votes were:
28% for home invasion server
23% for no ToA server
1% for casual server
5% for no buffbot server
21% current servers are fine
Rest didn't answer poll.

So basically home invasion with OF + no ToA is what everyone wanted, over 4 times more people said no more servers over no buffbot server.

It's clear the playerbase knows no buffbots wont work and only a minority who have no clue about the game nowadays voted it so I have no idea why Mythic fail to realise it wasting dev. time on something their subscribers clearly don't even care about.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

OTOH, implementing the different options would not take the same amount of work.

No TOA -> disable porters to TOA ( problem solved )
buffbot range -> use the end conc buff code ( problem solved )

Hmm, actually, I guess home invasion is just

home invasion -> reduce con of BK guards

However, they probably realised that that wouldn't just work and would require special code to prevent perma invasions, things like timers on the border keep so you can only invade once every week or something. The TOA ban and buffbot range limit are effectively easy.

Also, maybe they realise that alot of people said they left for BB's and the current players are the ones who don't actually care about BB's. The ones who do care are the ones who have already left and so aren't included in the poll.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lairiodd wrote:OTOH, implementing the different options would not take the same amount of work.

No TOA -> disable porters to TOA ( problem solved )
buffbot range -> use the end conc buff code ( problem solved )

Hmm, actually, I guess home invasion is just

home invasion -> reduce con of BK guards

However, they probably realised that that wouldn't just work and would require special code to prevent perma invasions, things like timers on the border keep so you can only invade once every week or something. The TOA ban and buffbot range limit are effectively easy.

Also, maybe they realise that alot of people said they left for BB's and the current players are the ones who don't actually care about BB's. The ones who do care are the ones who have already left and so aren't included in the poll.
Problem is the ones who left but left because of BBs are also the ones who don't understand game balance in it's current form and that's what Mythic has made it's decision around, essentially they're using current subscribers subs to haul in players who left but that will never ever benefit current subscribers because they'll be on a completely different server anyway. Can't say I appreciate my subs being wasted on something no one else active in game currently wanted just so Mythic can haul in a few buffbot cry babies who don't realise that the 5000 range limit on buffs is going to screw the game even worse than where buffbots were commonplace. What's more if they left the game in the first place it shows they're the type to just leave when something like that bothers them so will only leave again anyway when they realise their calls for ranged buffs break the game even more meaning we're stuck with 2 more dead servers rather than 1 new server that everyone really wanted and would play.

Flippant Desires
Emerald Rider

Post by Flippant Desires »

Really talking from your arse there Xest :D

This isn't about your subs, this is about DAoC lasting against the competition. If Mythic can't get more players to pay for the game, then it's one big justification to drop it as soon as they get their other games live.

I like the way to pretend to argue a point by making gross sweaping statements aobut why ppl left the game ;)

Why not go further and say all black people are thieves - because your perception is just as pathetic.

Stick to the real problem facing Mythic and how they are repsonding to it. Stick to the point that the so-called player-base has changed over the last few years. You may be a junkie for a game, but there are many more thousands of players for everyone of you - who do not, and can not play '24/7'. TOA & BB are simply not friendly to casual play - read that as family & social-life friendly.

If Mythic fail to promote the new servers, then it really will be game over. But I'm hoping they will succeed.
Trying out
RIFT, Guild Wars 2 & DAoC (again...)

WoW [retired]

Flippant, Margo, Szleynix, & Plumduff
PvP: Stormreaver {Alliance}, RP: Argent Dawn {Alliance}

DAoC [retired]
Flippant |Szleynix | Brass Monkey

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

[quote="Flippant Desires"]Really talking from your arse there Xest :D

This isn't about your subs, this is about DAoC lasting against the competition. If Mythic can't get more players to pay for the game, then it's one big justification to drop it as soon as they get their other games live.

I like the way to pretend to argue a point by making gross sweaping statements aobut why ppl left the game ]
If you're going to be such a dick, at least provide facts and stats to counter my argument, you'll notice I provided stats for the polls and such to backup my argument.

The playerbase is real stable right now, they gained some with Catacombs again so it's higher than it was before, this new server will temporarily boost the playerbase, however it will only be temporary and the long term effect will be far, far more damaging because of the amount of players that will now leave due to Mythic's ignorance to their paying subscribers.

As to bringing in comments pertaining to race, that's just low, don't be so utterly pathetic, just because you can't bring in a valid, sensible and well thought out argument doesn't mean resorting to that backed by a few insults will strengthen what you say.

Still you're just another of those that blatantly hasn't played DAoC in quite a long time so I wouldn't expect you to have a clue about the current state of the game - particularly on the US servers as you've proven from your comments that you clearly don't.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”