How long will DAoC survive?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster

How long will DAoC survive on the European servers?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:18 pm

More than 20 years
91%
More than 20 years
6%
More than 20 years
No votes
More than 20 years
2%
More than 20 years
2%

Total votes: 53

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I can see how the new expansion could be a good thing for people who like RvR on a server/cluster with a relatively balanced RvR population, but with Exc/Pry being so Alb dominated I fear it could be the straw which breaks the poor camels back yet again.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

could be like vamps

vamps are major in pve but about normal in rvr?
maulers are melee also (from what i gather) and alot of rvr is aoe/ranged :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Couldn't they make all servers multi-lingual, with built in translation? I mean, depending on which language you prefer to speak in, the game would patch in all the translations for the NPCs, quest logs etc, which would reside client-side, then the whole server would have a translation subroutine solely for translating everything the players say into the language you prefer to see on your screen. Admittedly, there would be problems like syntax, leet speak, mis-spellings etc which would create some errors, but you would probably be able to make sense of it. Then we could have one giant server. :)

Nedo
Emerald Rider

Post by Nedo »

Tried a frenchie freeshard a bit when got nostalgia overflow. Was hilarious...for about 2 hours. Tried another one and tbh....the actual system on that one >>>>>>>> real servers.

Half damage from mobs
Doubble damage from player on mob
20x exp
high lvl regular mobs drop artis and so on.

Like someone allready mentioned if real servers die I think hardcore guys will keep playing shard.

Once youre done youre done though so I did not play shard long.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Gandelf wrote:Couldn't they make all servers multi-lingual, with built in translation? I mean, depending on which language you prefer to speak in, the game would patch in all the translations for the NPCs, quest logs etc, which would reside client-side, then the whole server would have a translation subroutine solely for translating everything the players say into the language you prefer to see on your screen. Admittedly, there would be problems like syntax, leet speak, mis-spellings etc which would create some errors, but you would probably be able to make sense of it. Then we could have one giant server. :)
Realistically all the server should do is send a number to the client which refers to a string in a text file, that string should be localized to the client, so that if you click an NPC and the server sends a message saying "string 6858" or whatever the English client would have string 6858 listed as "Hi I'm Mr NPC", the French would have "Bonjour, je m'appelle NPC" or whatever the French say and the Germans well yeah, you get the idea I'm not even going to try, the extent of my German stops around "Ich habe ein kugelschreiber". This means the server has to send less data (as the full strings are stored client side and hence only the number needs to be sent) and that the server is language neutral.

I'm not sure why DAoC doesn't work like this tbh, it makes much more sense.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Xest wrote:" the extent of my German stops around "Ich habe ein kugelschreiber". .

I didn't know that you liked to share that you kept biro's Xest? xD
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

It's the only thing I remember from German class :p

Never know might come in useful one day, some German might need to like sign their consent to have their life saved and be looking for a pen and I can say that...
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

The only German phrase I can remember is "Hallo Frau, ermöglichen Sie mich, sexuellen Verkehr mit Ihnen zu haben?"

I don't know what it translates as though, it's a long time since I studied German.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Ich habe ein grosse knackwurst in der lederhosen.

/Ankh

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

<ankh> wrote:Ich habe ein grosse knackwurst in der lederhosen.

/Ankh

haha kÃnnen Sie mir etwas Beweis von dem geben bitte?
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”