English as a universal language

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

from wikipedia:

Btw Heta, if its long and pointless in your eyes - don't bother to reply or read it :) its as easy as that ;)

Edit: Actually, I followed a link from Wikipedia..its from this site:
http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

/Ankh
What are the world's most widely spoken languages?

This question is a very interesting one that has a rather complicated answer. Estimates of how many people speak a language are quite general and can vary considerably. For example, English estimates vary from 275 to 450 million, Spanish from 150 to over 300 million, Hindi from 150 to 350 million, and Russian from 150 to 180 million.

To further complicate matters, the definition of “speaker” can be vague. Some surveys of languages give information on native speakers only. Others count both native speakers and secondary speakers (those who use the language regularly or primarily even though it is not their native language).

Lastly, it is important to consider not only the population (number) of language speakers, but also the geographic distribution of these languages. Some languages have relatively large populations of native speakers but are used almost exclusively in a few countries. On the other hand, other languages have relatively small populations of native speakers but are used in many different countries as an official or national language.

The Summer Institute for Linguistics (SIL) Ethnologue Survey (1999) lists the following as the top languages by population:
(number of native speakers in parentheses)

1. Chinese* (937,132,000)
2. Spanish (332,000,000)
3. English (322,000,000)
4. Bengali (189,000,000)
5. Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
6. Arabic* (174,950,000)
7. Portuguese (170,000,000)
8. Russian (170,000,000)
9. Japanese (125,000,000)
10. German (98,000,000)
11. French* (79,572,000)

* The totals given for Chinese, Arabic, and French include more than one SIL variety. See chart for full details.

The following list is from Dr. Bernard Comrie’s article for the Encarta Encyclopedia (1998):

1. Mandarin Chinese (836 million)
2. Hindi (333 million)
3. Spanish (332 million)
4. English (322 million)
5. Bengali (189 million)
6. Arabic (186 million)
7. Russian (170 million)
8. Portuguese (170 million)
9. Japanese (125 million)
10. German (98 million)
11. French (72 million)

The following list is from George Weber’s article “Top Languages: The World’s 10 Most Influential Languages” in Language Today (Vol. 2, Dec 1997):

1. Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion)
2. English (330 million)
3. Spanish (300 million)
4. Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
5. Arabic (200 million)
6. Bengali (185 million)
7. Portuguese (160 million)
8. Russian (160 million)
9. Japanese (125 million)
10. German (100 million)
11. Punjabi (90 million)
12. Javanese (80 million)
13. French (75 million)

However, in terms of secondary speakers, Weber submits the following list:
(number of speakers in parentheses)

1. French (190 million)
2. English (150 million)
3. Russian (125 million)
4. Portuguese (28 million)
5. Arabic (21 million)
6. Spanish (20 million)
7. Chinese (20 million)
8. German (9 million)
9. Japanese (8 million)

Thus, if you add the secondary speaker populations to the primary speaker populations, you get the following (and I believe more accurate) list:
(number of speakers in parentheses)

1. Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
2. English (480 million)
3. Spanish (320 million)
4. Russian (285 million)
5. French (265 million)
6. Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
7. Arabic (221 million)
8. Portuguese (188 million)
9. Bengali (185 million)
10. Japanese (133 million)
11. German (109 million)

The following is a list of these languages in terms of the number of countries where each is spoken. The number that follows is the total number of countries that use that language (from Weber, 1997):

1. English (115)
2. French (35)
3. Arabic (24)
4. Spanish (20)
5. Russian (16)
6. German (9)
7. Mandarin (5)
8. Portuguese (5)
9. Hindi/Urdu (2)
10. Bengali (1)
11. Japanese (1)

The number of countries includes core countries (where the language has full legal or official status), outer core countries (where the language has some legal or official status and is an influential minority language, such as English in India or French in Algeria), and fringe countries (where the language has no legal status, but is an influential minority language in trade, tourism, and the preferred foreign language of the young, such as English in Japan or French in Romania). For a complete breakdown of each and an accompanying chart, click here.

After weighing six factors (number of primary speakers, number of secondary speakers, number and population of countries where used, number of major fields using the language internationally, economic power of countries using the languages, and socio-literary prestige), Weber compiled the following list of the world's ten most influential languages:
(number of points given in parentheses)

1. English (37)
2. French (23)
3. Spanish (20)
4. Russian (16)
5. Arabic (14)
6. Chinese (13)
7. German (12)
8. Japanese (10)
9. Portuguese (10)
10. Hindi/Urdu (9)

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

Shame by its nature is a negative aspect, it can be a factor like any other emotion or feeling.
But to be perfectly honest i find this whole concept of a 'code of shame' to be ludicrious and your argument is biased by your own opinion.
sharkith wrote:Finally, by saying that society is composed of only communications I feel very strongly that in fact we free people up to be what they will. There are no longer the determinst debates that society determines you and you have no free will. All we have are co-evolving systems mutually stimulating each other an a very lively historical and ever more complex process of co-evolution.
Sorry, call me uneducated or ignorant if you want but even after reading that multiple times i cant understand what you are trying to say.
Ive always been one to speak bluntly and find that using 5 sentences to describe things that a few words would have explained just confuses the issue and leaves more up to personal interpretation.
Could you translate it into english for me please? <grin>
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Tuthmes wrote:Ohohoh! Atm the most spoken lingo is spanish, closely followed by the chinese. You're better of in this world with speaking latin then english.
Spanish has never been the most spoken language in the world.

I was just looking for the stats on the amount of speakers and found this:

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

However, I can't help but notice that many of the stats must be completely and utterly wrong. 322 million native English speakers? That's less than the English speaking population of England, the US and Canada together, more so when you start to factor in Australia, New Zealand and all the other English speaking countries in the world.

Further results seem a bit more realistic:

http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/toptens/ ... ages4.html

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0775272.html

It's somewhat interesting because all these links show English as having second place when I have to agree last time I looked at the stats Spanish definitely held second place. After digging a bit deeper the stats putting Spanish in second place seem to be from the late 90's so I can only guess from these newer statistics that English has now firmly taken second place after Mandarin and pushed Spanish back - many of the stats even show Spanish in 4th place now.

One thing I will say however is that English is the most dominant language on the internet, holding 40% of all web content and English is recognised as the international language of Business. Therefore, whilst English isn't the most widely spoken language in the world it's arguably the most important, because whilst you may not be able to converse with some Chinese pig farmer, you will be able to converse with Bill Gates.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

...or you could just check the stats I quoted above which is from ignitus page too ;)

Edit: but I think the other urls you provided sounds more fair tbh.

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Xest wrote:you may not be able to converse with some Chinese pig farmer, you will be able to converse with Bill Gates.
I would prefer the pig farmer in that case.

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Tuthmes wrote:You're better of in this world with speaking latin then english.
Latin? You mean spanish, right?

I personally don't know anyone who speak Latin as their main language (or even second). As far as I know its only the Vatikan who has it as their main language.

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

think he means latin-american?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Banana wrote:think he means latin-american?
Proberbly yeah :D but I still had to ask!

/Ankh

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

[quote="<ankh>"]Btw Heta, if its long and pointless in your eyes - don't bother to reply or read it :) its as easy as that ]

I just don't work that way
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Heta wrote:I just don't work that way
Then you really shouldnt complain.

/Ankh

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”