Deleted Thread on FH - read here (concerns Synergy)

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Hrymf
Emerald Rider

Post by Hrymf »

Aran_Thule wrote:Thing is that you you dont know how people will view what your saying.
The same word can be read in many differant ways so its more likely that people will take it in the context of your post.
The way someone says a word can be insulting just in the way its implied.
This is a problem with the writen word as you cant see the tone or expressions that would help translate to you the true intention of the word.
This goes for everything then, and seriously, anyone who feel offended by a single word like that should stay inside a dark room all alone rest of his/her life, because im pretty sure where ever you go you will find something that in any way could be more rude and more horrible than a word like adder... Its really up to the person them self to not start crying just because someone say a word, and like i said earlier its simple a discribtion of an action ingame.
Inzo Nightshade 7Lx
Inzak Warden 8lx
Inzork Blademaster 6lx

centurion
Emerald Rider

Post by centurion »

Satyn wrote:Ok, so if I get it right its because you spend a lot of blood sweat and tears in your char and set groups that you dont want ppl adding to your fights?
You rather die to a full grp than get help?
Its about status and becoming well known by mids and albs?
Maybe it is more fun winning because of good play and teamwork instead of just outnumbering the enemy or winning because someone added on the other grp.
Zephina
<Eclipse>

game over

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Aran_Thule wrote:Thing is that you you dont know how people will view what your saying.
The same word can be read in many differant ways so its more likely that people will take it in the context of your post.
The way someone says a word can be insulting just in the way its implied.
This is a problem with the writen word as you cant see the tone or expressions that would help translate to you the true intention of the word.
totally spot on not only that its the same thing with the spoken word. The only answer - to keep talking ! Anything that blocks that is potentially a very bad thing. The rules over there have therefore done some damage the good thing is they are good enough to reflect on it.

This palce has always had a liberal tradition and one of tolerance. FH has had problems because of a tradition of flames and I think its trying to come to terms with that. In point of fact the more constuctive input that is given the better for all.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

I am odd (those of you who know me will probably agree far too quickly).

My sympathies lie with those who feel that adding is acceptable. I take the realm vs realm view. I do not think 1 vs 1 or 8 vs 8 is necessarily fair. A RR10 vs a RR1 is not fair – to use the boxing analogy it is like a heavyweight versus a flyweight. I also take the view that the game mechanics and ethos is for realm versus realm but I accept that I am somewhat trying to read the mind of the designers.

Why am I odd ?

Well I run here and there with NFD2 who have a strict no add and no gank policy. They are quite happy to run to Aggramon (in fact they prefer it) where they try to avoid adders, solers and zergs. They are quite happy to face higher RR groups where they try to learn and improve their game. For them pitting themselves against the best of the rest and trying to win is a challenge and fun.

I respect that and can see where the challenge lies. As a result even if I am not with them I will try not to add or gank unless it is in one of those areas where it really should be expected (keeps, towers, zergs).

I see that as me trying to do my best by everyone. I see that as trying to ensure everyone has a chance to play the game they want to play without being hindered by me.

If a realm mate asks for help – I help. The downside of that is I may be upsetting the enemy who runs a no add policy, but as I cannot ask or know from their point of view then I follow my instincts. I would rather have an upset alb/mid than an upset hibby.

I hope the non-adders appreciate my thoughts and efforts. Yes it takes some effort and thought but I do not see that as a problem. There will be errors and times when I get it wrong but in general I try to do the right thing by everyone. In this way I am not trying to enforce my view on anyone and hopefully they are not trying to enforce their view on me.

As far as the thoughts of some go where they see the non-adders as show off’s or part of the l33t brigade then I have to say from my perspective that at times this may be right, but for the most part this is an utterly misguided and disrespectful point of view.

This game needs us to try to work together (whether you are an adder or not) – annoying other gamers where you may force them to leave is not helpful to any of us in the long run.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Grymligast wrote:so its silly to bash on ppl emptying guild vault, or pulls a mob infront of other ppl or maybe even kill mobs just before a big announced raid is suppossed to kill it? Or like the alb ML9 incident when the BG leader just kept the loot?

Even though u see alot of whine about that when it happens.

And all these things are playermade rules aswell
You know, if your guild vault get cleaned out by some stupid members its your own fault for letting him into the guild or give him permission to use it.
Not everyone reads the forums so you cant expect them t know about every raid that goes on. But its a good thing you mentioned it really, cos there you go - a perfect example of a raid (that I expect had pre-set rules) that was ruined just cos you cant do ANYTHING if they decide to break the rules.
The list over things that can go wrong in daoc is endless, but atm it was a discussion (well, it turned into one atleast) about setting playermade rules on the rvr. You can make endless of examples but I can assure you that even if you had pre-set rules made by the players these things would still happen.

Oh btw - I never ever said that I thought it was silly to get upset when things go wrong...I said that you just cant expect people to follow rules made by other players and not by the GM's as you have no way what so ever to punish them.

/Ankh

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

This has turned into a nice thread to read.

Thank you Ambera for trying to make me understand but your answer confused me. As for Maxis, i'm trying my hardest to understand you guys but if you give me one word answers it really wont make me understand in any way and only leaves me frustrated. If you dont want to get added on you can atleast try and make ppl understand why that is.

I really understand both point of views. Sometimes i'm in a group that add's sometimes i'm in a group that doesnt add.
The idea of making Agramon the 8v8 and 1v1 zone is fine by me tbh. But not so long ago i was in an FS grp running in alb and we added by mistake on a hib vs alb fight. The albs were running from the hibs so we didnt see the hibs till we ran over the hill. Within 5sec someone (wont say any names) yelled: STOP ADDING FFS!!!! .... sorry but that ticks me off. If you dont want to get added on you can always say it in a polite way.
And tbh, I didnt even know till i read this thread that Agramon was a no adding area. So why think that everyone knows or should know that?

Ppl that dont want to get added on are called leet, ppl that add get called rp whores. But does it really matter?

Another thing that pops in mind is, you have Ankh yelling for help while hibs are watching him get killed. They dont help. So they dont help cos they think the alb or mid doesnt want hibs to help their mate? Cos if that is the case its very stupid. I thought we were a community that helped each other out especially if you see a mate ask for help and not start thinking about what the alb or mid would want us to do. Cos you got the answer immediatly. Ofc the alb or mid will want ankh dead you dont need a high IQ to realise that.
My idea is it is still realm versus realm. If you get the chance to kill the enemy then you have to do that. If you get the chance to help your realm mate you have to do that.

Same with ressing and healing ppl out of your grp. Ever since the latest patch i've been called a rp whore cos i heal and ress ppl out of my grp. Bullshit. I healed and ressed ppl outside my grp before the patch and i'm still doing it. To me it doesnt change if i get rps for it or not. If the ress isnt accepted because the player wants to get rebuffed then fine, but it wont stop me from atleast trying to ress them.

As for the modding. Thats a tricky subject. I can only speak for myself but if i come across a situation that i'm biased in then i will ask another mod to step in for me. I think that is the normal thing to do. When i'm modding i wont say: oh he's my friend i'm not gona warn him ... or ... oh I dont know him I can warn him ... it doesnt work that way. I even warned Thand in the past, and Ankh for that matter. So it shouldnt really matter imo.
Eggy closed the thread and then asked another mod his opinion and the thread stayed closed. Was the other mod biased? If not then i dont see much wrong with it besides the fact that Eggy should have first talked to the other mod and asked that mod to step in for him.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Adianna
Emerald Rider

Post by Adianna »

centurion wrote:Maybe it is more fun winning because of good play and teamwork instead of just outnumbering the enemy or winning because someone added on the other grp.
And maybe someone just thinks that this attitude is plain stupid and no I am not saying that I think your attitude is plain stupid. ;)

Everyone has their own point of view and you have to live with the fact that you can't change a person that does not want to be changed.
Adwaenyth - Alathanne - Adianna -=- Face Down / Prydwen-Excalibur

European Time Zones:
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbr ... ezones/eu/
World Clock - Europe:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/c ... ent=europe

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

Hrymf wrote:This goes for everything then, and seriously, anyone who feel offended by a single word like that should stay inside a dark room all alone rest of his/her life, because im pretty sure where ever you go you will find something that in any way could be more rude and more horrible than a word like adder... Its really up to the person them self to not start crying just because someone say a word, and like i said earlier its simple a discribtion of an action ingame.
Yes this is why you will not normally find me jumping into every arguement i find, words can hurt people.
I have seen people leave the game because of what people have said to them even when it was ment as a joke or as a description.
Your last bit you say that its simply a description, maybe but it is just as often used as an insult, how is the person to tell the diferance.
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Satyn wrote:Ofc the alb or mid will want ankh dead you dont need a high IQ to realise that.
Tbh I think the hibs want me dead too :)

Edit: Oh btw, when I said "your guild vault get cleaned out by some stupid members its your own fault for letting him into the guild or give him permission to use it." it did sound abit weird. The thing is that you shouldnt let anyone get access unless you dont trust them fully.

/Ankh

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Hrymf wrote:I can make that some what easier to understand and in fewer words :D

We people who like fg rvr see it more or less like a sport and in sports there is a certain honor and fairplay. 8vs8 is "fair", 1vs1 is "fair", 9000vs9000 is "fair".
Now just like a soccer match or even ping pong, there is different kind of "tactics" and "playstyle" and with tactics and playstyle you win over your enemy in a "fair" fight...

Obviously some players may have better items, abilities and higher ranks to back up their group/zerg/themself, but we all know how the turttle and rabbit story goes, the weak can win simple by outsmarting the stronger :D

I'm neither for, nor against adding, but there is nothing "fair" about RvR anyway. The only "fair" thing about RvR is that you can do unto others as they do to you (and vice versa).

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”