Prydwen-down (discussion thread NO FLAMES)

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Gandelf wrote:In defence of the workers though, I would argue that there is (in this modern age) too much emphasis on customer satisfaction... as customers, we are often guilty of thinking that we have a divine right to demand instant action when there is a fault. I would say, however, that we should remember that the workers have their own lives to live, with family and friends etc. and why should they have to "suffer" just to make us happy?
I agree with you about modern society. We expect too much, perhaps.

Having said that, "why should they suffer" is because it is part of the job. Even if I was not a customer of GOA, as an IT professional I would be annoyed that while I have to move heaven and earth to get stuff fixed for my clients, GOA can just say "Ah well it's broken but we'll take a couple of days off before we look at it".

In some situation there would be recognition that, if the system is down over a period it would not normally be used much, the fix might be deferred a little. In this situation it seems backwards. The system is down over a bank holiday weekend when it would be used MORE. I can't imagine a single person I've ever worked with in IT who would be happy to say in that situation "Ah well, they can wait. Not gonna interrupt my weekend over it"
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Gahn wrote:So y they need to wait Mythic ppl to wake up? ^^
All i know is: in my firm we got 5 servers, every of each runs some particular services, every other server balanced to deliver additional services of a faulty one (in case), no way that, in any case, would be tolerated a down time of a server for more than 24 hours :s
How should I know? Imo they seem to be doing their best (which could have been more ofc) while they wait for Mythics people.
Look, I dont like the waiting more than You do and I sure as hell dont know more than you do about this matter - but instead of complaining i'll wait and see where it ends before I decide to ditch them or stay with them.
I've never ever seen what kind of programs or data they work with so I can't really say if its much they can do or not if things like this happens, but I know that much of this might have been faster fixed if Mythic had given GOA more options instead of just letting a small part of the game be accessable for GOA's staff.
Let's hope we do get some answers soon or else Im pretty sure many of you who threaten to leave actually will leave. But until then there really arent much we can do.

/Ankh

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

There is something not right here, under no circumstances should it take this long to resolve an IT problem with a supposedly stable codebase and robust backup methodology.

I'd be getting my p45 handed to me on Tuesday morning if any of my core business applications had been down for the length of time this one has been.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Ankh Morpork wrote:How should I know? Imo they seem to be doing their best (which could have been more ofc) while they wait for Mythics people.
Look, I dont like the waiting more than You do and I sure as hell dont know more than you do about this matter - but instead of complaining i'll wait and see where it ends before I decide to ditch them or stay with them.
I've never ever seen what kind of programs or data they work with so I can't really say if its much they can do or not if things like this happens, but I know that much of this might have been faster fixed if Mythic had given GOA more options instead of just letting a small part of the game be accessable for GOA's staff.
Let's hope we do get some answers soon or else Im pretty sure many of you who threaten to leave actually will leave. But until then there really arent much we can do.

/Ankh
I ain't threatening any1 tbh; i already left some time ago cause of boredom and lag. I do like the game and even if, let's say it round and square, GOA drives it in an unprofessional way but manage to not fuck it up badly, i won't think of leaving (every time i think of how much time i put on my char etc it simply sadden me) but there are limits to anything.
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

[quote="Gahn"]I ain't threatening any1 tbh]

Well, I guess I can agree on this. But as I said, they might drive it in an unprofessional way but we don't really know how much they can access due to the limited access Mythic seem to give them to the game.
They did mention a rollback but it seems like they would like to save as much as possible before they decide which imo sounds good. They are proberbly fully aware of the anger and frustration their customers feel atm. I'd rather see them save most of the database to limit the rollback to just a few days instead of perhaps getting a 1-2 week rollback. Then again, Im not sure what database they are working with atm. (proberbly the character base as they could have used other servers database else)

I've been posting several posts now where Im defending GOA, so incase anyone wonders Im just as frustrated as you lot are and im dying to be able to play again (as I just play 1 server).

/Ankh

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

tbh, think GOA's biggest misstake was to get a cut down version of DAOC with not all the tools
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Heta wrote:tbh, think GOA's biggest misstake was to get a cut down version of DAOC with not all the tools
Aye, thats kind of what Im trying to say :P I dunno why mythic doesnt offer everything for GOA tbh...would save incredible amount of time.

/Ankh

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Mythic dont offer it all, cause GOA dosnt wanna pay for it, yet you pay the same fee in EU as on US to play the game
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Heta wrote:Mythic dont offer it all, cause GOA dosnt wanna pay for it, yet you pay the same fee in EU as on US to play the game
I'd rather play on an EU server than a US one anyday :) you sure goa doesnt wanna pay for it? Or is that just a wild guess?

/Ankh

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Heta wrote:Mythic dont offer it all, cause GOA dosnt wanna pay for it, yet you pay the same fee in EU as on US to play the game
Tbh if they manage to fuck up the game in this way WITHOUT the advanced tools, it's better not to give em ... :devlin:
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”