Please post experiences of item loss

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

I have seen GOA GM's complain about mis-information being spread by players who do not know the facts. The thing is as they seem unable to give us the facts then we are going to continue to wonder, summise and guess at what has gone on and how likely it is to happen again.
This is what bothers me somewhat, without meaning to dig it all up again, constantly being told we don't know the facts, whilst at the same time the person telling us this doesn't give us the facts, not only that but he also admits often he doesn't understand the technology himself. It's understandble that a GM can't be expected to be a technician/administrator also, but on that note it's a bit unfair him telling others they're wrong about things (i.e. as others have pointed out such as Cromcruiach and Killder the DB stuff should be entirely possible to restore, this kind of issue just shouldn't arise with a properly run system). You can't claim someone doesn't know the facts without knowing the facts and details yourself, it certainly is speculation, that much is right - but it's educated and informed speculation which gives it a lot of grounds.

If you look at the postmortem for DAoC on gamasutra.com as well as various mailing lists and their respective archives such as the vworlds-tech mailing list you can actually learn an awful lot about not only how MMOGs work, but also specifically how DAoC works, Scott Jennings (works at Mythic as a dev.) amongst one or two others have gone on record in the lists to mention how some of the behind the scenes tech works. Take for example someone who develops radar programs, could anyone at GOA honestly claim they know more about DAoC's client/server protocol, or internal memory structure than someone like that?

Telling us that we don't know how it works is particularly harsh, the chances are some of us - as technicians, administrators or even software engineers actually do know how it works, certainly a lot more so than someone who's basically a PR frontman who might wander over to see the technical team now and again and say "Hey Bob, how's it going with this problem?" only for the technician to give a cut down answer suitable for someone less technically knowledgeable.

There's a lot more information about how DAoC and MMOGs work under the hood out there than many people might imagine, from postmortems and other articles on Gamasutra, MMOG developers joining in technical discussions with the development community, people digging into the code and figuring out how it works - freeshard type projects and cheats etc., to the more underground method of leaked source code or the more honest method of open sourced code. Or just finally and more simply, just the standard documentation surrounding technology used by a lot of these games - i.e. MySQL.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Sharkith wrote:Are you sure about this?
Hope this links works - guy on FH moaning about a Cetus Trophy...

http://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthre ... ge=8&pp=15
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

Cryn wrote:Yup and in fact the third cause of inflation is also present - more currency in circulation. The more they give away, the less each individual coin is worth, and with the same number of people competing for the same range of items, all the extra money does is guarantee a price increase.
yes, forgot that one :) The way GoA is handling this crisis will completely destroy the economy. It's like Kuwait, people are rich so you pay 35 Euros for a cup of coffee.

Now I don't know what the economic situation on Excalibur is, but clustering will give the economy another shock, probably not a good one.

Amedor
Emerald Rider

Post by Amedor »

Tare wrote:yes, forgot that one :) The way GoA is handling this crisis will completely destroy the economy. It's like Kuwait, people are rich so you pay 35 Euros for a cup of coffee.

Now I don't know what the economic situation on Excalibur is, but clustering will give the economy another shock, probably not a good one.
Least after clustering, what GOA have done for prydwen would be minimalised a bit... since the Excaliur economy hasn't been given free money from nowhere.. and haven't had many chars stripped of all their items, reducing the number of items from the server drastically.
Retired until further notice

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

Yes but rare items will still be rare, so the demand for items will increase, possibly increasing the price even more. I'm not sure about it though, will open a thread! :p

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Xest wrote: If you look at the postmortem for DAoC on gamasutra.com as well as various mailing lists and their respective archives such as the vworlds-tech mailing list you can actually learn an awful lot about not only how MMOGs work, but also specifically how DAoC works, Scott Jennings (works at Mythic as a dev.) amongst one or two others have gone on record in the lists to mention how some of the behind the scenes tech works.
nice, i'll take a look.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”