Is it Zerg or Bust for the casual player in RvR nowadays?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Tuorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuorin »

Cryn wrote:I do agree with you, Tourin, and I understand that RAs are not the be all and end all, but even in the example you give

I think RR could play a big part in the outcome (and it might be my lack of knowledge here, so correct me if I am wrong). Even if you time your mezzes just right to get past CBs and purges, wouldn't SoS, charge and det still make a huge difference to the number of people actually mezzed? A low RR group might have almost none of those RAs where as an RR10 group will typically have all of them.

I'm not trying to pick holes, because I do understand that skill still plays a big part in who wins fights. It just that I've had a lot of frustration in the past getting the drop on someone through using sneaky tactics or just reacting better and then still having our group taken apart because our damage and CC bounced off for the crucial first few seconds of the fight.
The advent of CBs wasnt great.

Yep if high realm rank they could have more access to purge and things like det. Although tbh classes that get Determination usually take that ra first. I recall back pre toa with old det that all my points were spent gaining det 5 first. As a hero you must have Det5 fast as you don't have charge. Purge two can be aquired at 2L5. Now you can have Det 4 at 3L4. Det5 would still mean about 8 seconds mezzed with a castable highest mez, plenty of time to sprint in and drop stuff. I'm thinking really from an experience I had a few weeks ago when something like this happened against some Albs trebbing and the people I was with were all around RR5 average. I wasnt even RR4. Albs also generally run 1 banelord and several classes without access to det, perhaps the 6 of the remaining 7 members of the group.

I do agree that you what say is logically and mostly from experience, the case. Its harder to beat a higher realm rank group for obvious reasons. Its also at times possible to defeat them with that little lady luck sometimes. The sentiment of my post was stick at it, go hit a few chokepoints and try and take a few out and get back there asap. Over a period of time 3 or 4 nights of 25k from that sort of thing = 5 weeks and RR5 from scratch. It doesnt make you uber, but a few of your casters will have some damage enhancing abilities, your BM/Hero/Champ will have cc negation and your support will have twf3, maybe moc on bard for cc and druids with some di/purge.

I totally agree it can be frustrating getting things done like that, but everyone has to start. I'm blessed with high rr on 2 chars as I've played since Feb/Mar 02 and I can say I've gone weeks on end without seemingly gaining anything in similar circumstances that you describe from your experience.
No sig!

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

It's too late for me to stick at it, since I left, but I do agree that if you put enough time in you can raise your RR despite the unequal fights. But two problems with that.

Firstly, I don't like chasing promises. MMORPGs have taught me that playing through hours and hours of boredom/frustration in the hope that it eventually leads to fun gameplay is unwise. I think we've all done it and most of the older hands of us will know that it's the most disappointing way of approaching the game. Much better to only play if you have fun NOW.

Secondly, Wysts initial point was about PuGs (I think) and that complicates things. It may be true that sticking with it will reap definite benefits for solo or fixed group play but in a PuG situation you're almost always gonna have a fair proportion of lower RRs in the group. It's just the way it is, probably because most people like to have a lot of alts. In fact, I was 6L9 before I left the game, so I wasn't exactly lowest RR, but a lot of the people I grouped with with sub RR4 or even 3.

It's easy for me to be negative on this, I suppose. Having moved on, I don't have that inner psychological pressure to find solutions to these problems. If I was still playing I'd have more of a "let's find a way to make it work" attitude. Maybe I should have gone Glastonbury and got some of the old feelings back from the flat RRs it started with.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Tuorin wrote:The sentiment of my post was stick at it, go hit a few chokepoints and try and take a few out and get back there asap. Over a period of time 3 or 4 nights of 25k from that sort of thing = 5 weeks and RR5 from scratch.
I consider myself lucky if I get 2.5k RPs from 4-5 hours of RvR so 25k = 40-50 hours & there ain't that many hours in a night.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Tuorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuorin »

OohhoO wrote:I consider myself lucky if I get 2.5k RPs from 4-5 hours of RvR so 25k = 40-50 hours & there ain't that many hours in a night.
Well I aint bragging about it, if you are only getting that amount of rp every time you play then you arent obviously having fun. I'm not gonna preach whether you are doing right or wrong. I got 27k in an afternoon this week from 2pm until 4.45pm on my hero and banshee playing with a RR3 druid who was buffbot spec, a lvl 49 untoaed bard in si gear and 4 other assorted players. This was just by going Brynja area hitting it and moving fast. No I didnt go cone in the room we never went onto the bridge itself after the first time we died.
No sig!

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Tuorin wrote:Well I aint bragging about it, if you are only getting that amount of rp every time you play then you arent obviously having fun. I'm not gonna preach whether you are doing right or wrong. I got 27k in an afternoon this week from 2pm until 4.45pm on my hero and banshee playing with a RR3 druid who was buffbot spec, a lvl 49 untoaed bard in si gear and 4 other assorted players. This was just by going Brynja area hitting it and moving fast. No I didnt go cone in the room we never went onto the bridge itself after the first time we died.
hehe I must really suck :p
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Nedo
Emerald Rider

Post by Nedo »

Tuorin wrote:Well I aint bragging about it, if you are only getting that amount of rp every time you play then you arent obviously having fun. I'm not gonna preach whether you are doing right or wrong. I got 27k in an afternoon this week from 2pm until 4.45pm on my hero and banshee playing with a RR3 druid who was buffbot spec, a lvl 49 untoaed bard in si gear and 4 other assorted players. This was just by going Brynja area hitting it and moving fast. No I didnt go cone in the room we never went onto the bridge itself after the first time we died.
That kinda playing took my bard to RR5 in no time but then my group got owned by rl just when the fun was about to kick in hehe :P

aegnor
Emerald Rider

Post by aegnor »

Tough choice but i always liked busts the most. :(
Aegnor Istaril
Elvish Barun
retired :<

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”