Respec costs...

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Complete freedom to respec until 50, then same as.

I'm torn really, with the state of the game at the moment, is there really justification for preventing people to spec how they want, but on the other hand, being able to respec was a special treat - it was a goal in itself. mmm.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:I don't buy that "everyone would be the same spec" line, Wow respecs are much cheaper (50g max, which is a couple of nights serious farming at the most) and still there is a variety of specs.

It's really nice to think right stuff it for a couple of weeks I'm going to respec to something different and enjoy a different aspect of my class before swapping back to the spec suited to my main role.

It also means you can try a variety of spec to find one that is suitable to you, without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Do WoW classes have the same horrible balance issues though where one spec is so much better than another though?

I can think of a more recent example, well recent being from about 8 - 12months ago around the time I stopped playing much. The same situation existed with MLs where there's been so many times we wished we had stormlords to push all the storms away that camping bainshees/animists had left at the bottom of the tower they were camping, yet weren't able to find any because stormlord was pointless in Alb with convoker being a billion times better for Alb casters. This situation has changed slightly now with the brittle guard nerf and Wizards becoming more popular, but prior to that Wizards didn't exist and Theurgists, Cabalists and Sorcerors had no reason to go anything other than Convoker. Basically, the realm absolutely needed stormlords to compete against the Hib tower camp squads with a bunch of storms stacked up downstairs/on the stairs and 3fg campers in the lords room yet they didn't exist because convoker was a million times better, ease of getting the right ML line ensured this.
wrote:Sidenote, can't say I agree with Xest about not all being same spec, all who RvR much will respec if they don't have the best spec, it will just cost abit for them to do so, but they will still do so, so more or less all already have the same spec in RvR. ] That's because respecs are too easy to get now hence my comment pondering why Gandelf is even whining about this anyway because even with the arguments against it, it's pretty irrelevant with the current state of the game where respecs are easy to aquire. Think back to the days with void elds to GTAE and bolt and such, the problem is that people are so used to living without certain specs in todays game where respeccing is easy that they often completely forget the usefulness of some of them.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Sounds like your issue was respeccing MLs rather than class skills.

Actually the point about Wow specs is probably valid. Whilst not all wow specs are useful for certain parts of the game, they do all have their uses. The reason you see the variety is that Raiders do PvP with the raid spec, and vice-versa.

Best Example, for me anyway, is probably Druids, almost all top end PvE guilds insist on a mainly resto spec and yet resto is the worst of the 3 talent trees for PvP or solo. There are plenty of all 3 specs, just not in the top guilds for the particular part of the game.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

I agree with Ovi that respeccing is better in WoW and I do feel it could be made better in DAoC. I think the tier system is all wrong. Respec costs should be set to a price that is going to be affordable to casual players, because it's my guess that there are more casual players than 24/7 players. I think most players of DAoC probably have daytime jobs or go to College or University. Some will have families to look after. 10 plat max.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:Sounds like your issue was respeccing MLs rather than class skills.
No, the ML examples were just good recent examples that came to mind and are an extension of the same issue, the problem is as I say most people are so used to not getting certain specs in groups now that they've had to work round the issue which isn't particularly ideal as it still causes problems, the same issue occurs with classes, specs, RAs and MLs in that some classes/specs/RAs/MLs are never used, in other words, it's not a problem isolated only to respeccing spec lines.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Xest wrote:That's because respecs are too easy to get now hence my comment pondering why Gandelf is even whining about this anyway because even with the arguments against it, it's pretty irrelevant with the current state of the game where respecs are easy to aquire. Think back to the days with void elds to GTAE and bolt and such, the problem is that people are so used to living without certain specs in todays game where respeccing is easy that they often completely forget the usefulness of some of them.

Well as I said, I don't really care that much, there are much bigger issues that I would like see changed tbh, I have never been that bothered with the need to respec my chars, not really that hard to get fedback about how to get ur chars right spec really, depending on what you want to use him for.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Hrymf
Emerald Rider

Post by Hrymf »

I find it quite silly comparing WoW specs to daoc specs o.O
in WoW there is like 4 abilities per class which you will use, and the abilities are all very balanced and have no real chance of making large impacts on pvp. While in daoc the spells, abilities and styles often make the difference for certain tactics. Though comparing pvp in wow to daoc is even more silly, it is really two different games on so many levels....

As for the real topic, respecs are easy to get more or less and the only reason so many people respec often is because of balance issues... If the balance was better i am sure most people would simple stick to 1 spec which they liked and as Mael said, had commited them self to.
Inzo Nightshade 7Lx
Inzak Warden 8lx
Inzork Blademaster 6lx

Dardalion
Emerald Rider

Post by Dardalion »

Wouldnt mind seeing single line respecs given at certain realm ranks (say, 3, 6, 9 etc) that would help toons that want to keep a spec line at 50 modified, guess that only helps stealthers though.

Vamp's should be given special consideration, they should be given a free repsec every week, ive had mine ages, respecced it loads & theres still loads of specs i'd like to try out :D

Off topic, i'm just back from a fishing trip sharkith: , i fell in doh: so i'm sat here in me undercrackers waiting for the sun to come up so i can have a bath without waking everyone in the house up booboo:

Just thought i'd share that with you.
Fighting Enviro-crime irl 8-)

Tuthmes
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuthmes »

Sneaky poo's are teh greatest!
----------------------------
Tuthmes - lvl50 - rr7 - Ranja
Nefertete - lvl50 - rr9 - Bardesse
Neterbaiu - lvl50 - rr8 - Eldrich
Koenoe - lvl50 - rr8 - Dr00d
Achnaton - lvl50 - rr4 - Animist
Ausernefert - lvl50 - rr5 - Mentalist
Horemheb - lvl50 - rr3 Chimp
Soulsistah - lvl50 - rr6 Vampz0r
Nebcheperure - lvl50 - rr6 Valewalker
Mayet - lvl50 - rr7 Hewo

Firbynator
Emerald Rider

Post by Firbynator »

Tuthmes wrote:Sneaky poo's are teh greatest!
fantombæsj
Sagittariuz, Eldritch rr4lx ml7
Rheaven, Warden rr2lx ml3
Firbynator, Blademaster rr5lx ml6
Rhiina, Ranger rr4lx ml0

Arcana, scrollbot Mentalist

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”