DAOC Status

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Tammuz
Emerald Rider

Post by Tammuz »

hehe although i like the vague ideas you put forward sharkith theres no way in hell you could ever actually make a game like it, its to personal, you would have to have ppl set specifically for you/and the ppl your with, basically thats a single player game, mmorpgs have to be to a reasonable degree static simply because it is arranged around a larger basis of people and you would have to hire hugh numbers of people to implement each thing, it would be like having events on permentantly for just the one player which would be nice ofc :cheers:

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

well tbh guys ive sort of shelved awarkle for a while now, ive canceled my second account for the simple fact is i cant see the point in having a buff bot.

Its not that pryd peeps are all scum or anything but every time i logged on less and less people i knew were online and yes i do miss people but from since i started playing noone is left.

Most people i know have gone off to WoW and tbh the lag and lds that ive had on excal have made me nearly cancel on several occasions.

But the good news is WoW didnt take me :) instead i went to city of heros for a lag free / bug free/ fun new game that im enjoying even if there is no PVP option i like the pve.

Ill be logging on awarkle soon to transfer all my money onto my consignment merchant load it up with the contents of my vault and take one last screen shot of him outside of house and inside for a momento and then im calling an end to hibby pryd.

Even catacombs wont save me tbh GOA cant seem to understand that to get new players they actually have to sell the game, sort out the problems with OPEN transit IE fire them and get a ISP provider who isnt shit, btw dont care that they cant do anything about open transit its surprising how WoW (based in france) doesnt seem to be having the probelms we are (and i dont know where the city of heros servers are based either but no problems there either).

They arnt prepared to fix the problem and frankly they have had 6 months to pull the finger out and sort it, i think for all the problems we had 1 free day well goa will still be getting my moneys but ill be playing on excal.

Anyways ill be on Midgard excal most mondays fridays and sundays all other times ill be on city of heros. A much more enjoyable game at the moment im sorry to say that catacombs wont be bought here lik Dark says Why buy and expansion for an empty realm. We will see if cat's brings in hundreds of new players to the game instead of like 10 like im expecting i may return but until goa sort out the network access then i cant see me staying for long.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

hmm

am i the only one who is generally looking forward to catacombs? :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

Awarkle nailed the point down.
Why play a game where network issues affect the enjoyment when there are alternatives?
Catacombs will not bring old players back and with the current marketing no new players will come to revitalise the game. TOA has seen to that.

I recently had a discussion with someone looking for a nice MMORPG. After we checked through the points between DAOC and WOW he decided to go WOW. At least he doesn't have to spend 40 game days play to achieve to be semi on par with established players.

In a way I am looking forward to Catacombs to have some new areas to explore and find something new in the game.
I really hope that Catacombs will bring in new players - unless Mythic finds a miracle in coding that allows encounters to be tweaked according to the numbers of people that attempt it certain ML encounters will be impossible without the help of the whole realm.

Then again I can see new players (who don't have the affection for the game) to check more objectively on issues like population, lag and game content - and to be honest I cannot recommend starting DAOC now with WOW being out.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Tammuz wrote:hehe although i like the vague ideas you put forward sharkith theres no way in hell you could ever actually make a game like it, its to personal, you would have to have ppl set specifically for you/and the ppl your with, basically thats a single player game, mmorpgs have to be to a reasonable degree static simply because it is arranged around a larger basis of people and you would have to hire hugh numbers of people to implement each thing, it would be like having events on permentantly for just the one player which would be nice ofc :cheers:

well it would be nice - I know it would be difficult but many of the RTS games now match people against each other and have reasonable engines to do so - so the group matching and person matching thing could be done. Where I think it is most tricky is granting exceptions to go across realms. In addition the details of the quests and what they would involve might also be difficult.

The biggest problem to overcome would be the time lines because not all opponents would be on at the same time and so if you committed to one of these 'quests' you would have to be sure that the quest was only active when both groups or individuals were online at the same time. Unless the timer could be used to see who completed their quest first. That would all be quite difficult to achieve because the game is currently based on the player as the primary unit. Sure we have groups and BG's but they are still composed of inviduals for the purpose of the game mechanics.

Here is another one. How about being able to 'bind' in RvR to your team mates and to gain defensive bonuses for doing so? Into formations.

Then we could have Fernglade directing units of troops rather than the usual helter skelter.....

;)

Sharkith

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Banana wrote:hmm

am i the only one who is generally looking forward to catacombs? :)
I am looking forward to the new experience and it is on pre-order. I haven't been around as long as these old fogeys so I am still lovin' it.

Last nights RvR in the frontier was as level a playing field as I have seen in an awful long time.

Sharkith

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

This thread doesn't fill me with confidence that GoA can/want to market the game sufficiently in the UK...

http://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=52019

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Ovi wrote:This thread doesn't fill me with confidence that GoA can/want to market the game sufficiently in the UK...

http://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=52019
I went to the cinema on friday and i picked up a copy of one of those free magazines and shock horror it had a full page add for daoc/catacombs.

(Flight of the Pheonix has been given 3 star mojo rating) FYI!!!
look, no hands!

Now retired

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

awarkle wrote:Even catacombs wont save me tbh GOA cant seem to understand that to get new players they actually have to sell the game, sort out the problems with OPEN transit IE fire them and get a ISP provider who isnt shit, btw dont care that they cant do anything about open transit its surprising how WoW (based in france) doesnt seem to be having the probelms we are (and i dont know where the city of heros servers are based either but no problems there either).

They arnt prepared to fix the problem and frankly they have had 6 months to pull the finger out and sort it, i think for all the problems we had 1 free day well goa will still be getting my moneys but ill be playing on excal.
Just a couple of things regarding those points. Even if Opentransit were not our hosting providers, you would still have to route through OT hubs to reach our servers. Opentransit own most of the commercial internet infrastructure in France and a good deal in other countries as well. Some of the recent problems have been with OT hubs in Rotterdam, Birmingham and London. WoW are based in France but their servers are in Copenhagen and Amsterdam hosted by Telia. As far as I know CoH servers are in London.

The problems that were ongoing were outside our remit to fix, all we could reasonably do was pass on the information we were getting and pressure the companies involved (Opentransit and Spiritlink) to fix it - which eventually they did. When our own equipment failed resulting in two days of exceptionally bad network performance, we credited everyone with two days of free play to compensate for circumstances that were within our sphere of responsibility.

More generally, and back to the original point of the thread, we are keeping an eye on the server populations and there are several schemes and plans scheduled to attract new players and bolster the community across the board.

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Requiel wrote: More generally, and back to the original point of the thread, we are keeping an eye on the server populations and there are several schemes and plans scheduled to attract new players and bolster the community across the board.
Can you give us an insight in what these plans are when/how they will be executed. I heared this alot of times 'That you have plans for PR' but hardly anything noticable happened.

A little coverage in some magazines but hardly groundbreaking. Get that new commercial agency you have in the UK show some results. Furthermore maybe try to convince Wanadoo to run a commercial in the netherlands where they go more in to DAOC (They had trolls and kobbies doing a wave in 1 commercial but wasnt shown it was called DAOC).

Catacombs release could be an ideal release to get some good publicity
finland:
holland:

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”