The ethics of dragon raiding -- split from WTS Full respec stone

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

[quote="Mailimber"]tbh with so many people wanting and needing respecs i think its a bit wrong trying to sell them at such a price i am trying to help the community not aid other people in getting rich ]

Whilst I agree with those sentiments, I do have some sympathy for Morph's situation. Being in a situation with no cash, this is an easy way to raise some funds to start off.

I assume from his post he checked CMs, and priced the stone below those prices, probably as much for a quick sale as for being nice, but can't have everything ;)

Given current prices of other items etc I don't think 12p is too unreasonable, and it is also not a fixed price as I am sure he would accept less if it was the only offer. There will always be people who can't attend raids, or prefer to spend the cash to buy a stone rather than attend a raid.

The fact that you are running raids, and have offered to try and include anyone who needs a stone, means the demand for stones will be low, and therefore the prices are low, already much less than the 25p seen not too long ago.

Morphius
Emerald Rider

Post by Morphius »

to quote my first post "Im haggleable" i dont know what the usually low rate is for hibernia but i need enough money to buy a FW and a few other items , im more than hapy to sell for 10p

Also I dont rip people off when on alb stones were selling for 6p i was putting em on merchant for 3p...
Hib/Pryd
Edlina - RR7 Warden - ML0
Edliana - RR6l3 Bard - ML0

Alb/Pryd
Morphius - RR6 Cleric - ML8
Kiaora - RR4 Sorc - ML4
Uara - RR4 Serv.Necro - ML4

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Mailimber wrote:
Sorry to do this in your thread, but i aint giving a evening a week to help people make money i am doing it for the good of the realm.
Just to play devils advocate...

I have been on one raid as I needed one stone (although I may need another soon).

Some of the peeps on your raids have been on 3 or more. Do they need 3 stones ? If not what will they do with the extra's ?

I actually think you started with a really nice aim but unless you can ensure that different people get to attend each week then it is hard to prevent the greedy people gaining stones to sell.

I also sympathise with the newer people (such as I think we have here) who have no cash and are trying to build a template - which may include the spirit resists a dragon raid needs.

I tend to think there are a lot of items over-priced atm including scrolls and arti's - seems to me we do little to help each other by having multiple plat prices - but unless everyone is willing to bring down prices then not sure how we are really going to change it.

Oh btw Malim not a real dig at your raids - just making a point how greedy peeps always seem to get away with it.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Belisar wrote:Just to play devils advocate...

I have been on one raid as I needed one stone (although I may need another soon).

Some of the peeps on your raids have been on 3 or more. Do they need 3 stones ? If not what will they do with the extra's ?

I actually think you started with a really nice aim but unless you can ensure that different people get to attend each week then it is hard to prevent the greedy people gaining stones to sell.

I also sympathise with the newer people (such as I think we have here) who have no cash and are trying to build a template - which may include the spirit resists a dragon raid needs.

I tend to think there are a lot of items over-priced atm including scrolls and arti's - seems to me we do little to help each other by having multiple plat prices - but unless everyone is willing to bring down prices then not sure how we are really going to change it.

Oh btw Malim not a real dig at your raids - just making a point how greedy peeps always seem to get away with it.
Ive Been on two of the raids so far, got 1 stone i needed and why do i need the other one? because if someone else needs one and they have an item i need i can trade for it. Ive already done that tbh and hope to go on anotther raid for another stone for trades. It doesnt make me greedy. If someone has a item i need and i have one they need nothing wrong with trading or even selling if i need the money. What would the definition on greed be? if someone needs the money for items its hardly greed? sure if hes just going to say hes got blah blah money and has 10 respec stones etc that could be seen as greedys but who would actually want to keep getting money when have no use of it?
[19:25] Jupiler: in heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here...when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer

Kias
Emerald Rider

Post by Kias »

Belisar wrote: I have been on one raid as I needed one stone (although I may need another soon).

so you sympathise with the newer people to the realm because they have no money to sort a template but you think people attending multiple dragon raids to gain stones to sell (which are probably some of these new players to the realm trying to get some plat together) are greedy?, makes a lot of sense.

oh and if you want to avoid the realm moral & price crusader crew its a good idea to just put the stone on your cm priced below everyother in housing.
kaisar - einherjar
kiasar - elding fru
kias - silver hand
botabalans - savant :<
kanimist the animist :arti:

Morphius
Emerald Rider

Post by Morphius »

not enough money for a house :O
Hib/Pryd
Edlina - RR7 Warden - ML0
Edliana - RR6l3 Bard - ML0

Alb/Pryd
Morphius - RR6 Cleric - ML8
Kiaora - RR4 Sorc - ML4
Uara - RR4 Serv.Necro - ML4

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Bourkey wrote:Ive Been on two of the raids so far, got 1 stone i needed and why do i need the other one? because if someone else needs one and they have an item i need i can trade for it.
First of all I was playing devils advocate with Malim and had no intention of making it appear that everyone and anyone who did multiple raids were greedy. If I did that I apologise.

There are a number of reasons to go on multiple raids, to help others or to gain something to trade with are honest and legitimate. I guess my point is more that Malim (and anyoine else who runs such raids) relies on people like you who do so because there is no way of tracking who does what with the loot/items that come out of it.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Kias wrote:so you sympathise with the newer people to the realm because they have no money to sort a template but you think people attending multiple dragon raids to gain stones to sell (which are probably some of these new players to the realm trying to get some plat together) are greedy?, makes a lot of sense..
Apologies to you and Bourkey who I have clearly mislead into thinking that my view was everyone who goes on multiple raids is greedy - that was not my intention.

Your comment above is the point I was trying to make (although somewhat badly it seems). The whole point of the thread (which I seem to have successfully hijacked) was someone was selling a stone and a few people feel that the stone is over-priced. Unless everyone drops prices how does a new player to the realm raise cash for the template ? I guess the follow up argument is are they trying to do so too fast bearing in mind most people have had to work for their template but that should be another thread and not this one.
Kias wrote:oh and if you want to avoid the realm moral & price crusader crew its a good idea to just put the stone on your cm priced below everyother in housing.
Nice idea and something I do regularly with scrolls. Did have an incident recently where a rare scroll I sold cheaply was then sold on by for a nice profit (or perhaps they were just lucky and got another quite quickly). But it kind of makes me think that you can try to do the right thing (such as Malim is) but some people (and not everyone) will try and take advantage if they can.

Finolin

Post by Finolin »

Mailimber wrote:5p is enough to try to charge for a stone.
I think there's little point in telling people what they can charge for a stone. It's a market economy, so you can charge whatever you want and if people don't like it, they can shop somewhere else. At the moment, no one has a monopoly on stones.

Also, thanks to you adding 75 of each respec stones to the available supply in recent weeks, there are a lot more places for people to shop. Demand is down because some people who wanted to respec got stones on the raid, and supply is up because some people who didn't want to respec are selling theirs.

So while I applaud what you've done to lower the price of stones with your raids (and have had a fun time on them as well) I don't think it's fair to tell people what they can charge for a stone. Just refuse to pay it.
Finolin, 50th Elven Void Eldritch ML10 Convoker
Felia, 50th Celt Bard ML10 Sojourner
Fert, 50th Sylvan Arboreal Animist ML10 Convoker
Finality, 50th Sylvan Valewalker ML10 Battlemaster
Finoshar, 50th Shar Hero ML10 Battlemaster
Findrid, 50th Celt Druid ML10 Perfector
Fiat, 50th Celt Druid ML10 Perfector
Finesty, 50th Shar Mentalist ML10 Warlord
Fung, 50th Sylvan Verdant Animist ML10 Convoker
Finchant, 50th Elven Mana Enchanter ML10 Convoker

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Belisar-Sorry if my post came out the wrong way to :) i was quite tired at the time and dont think it came out right. In short i didnt take your post offensively, was just trying to put accross the different view that alot of people like myself firstly, enjoy the dragon raids. And secondly it is a nice way to gain items for trading which helps everyone in the end :).

Didnt mean it to come accrross as if i was angry or annoyed or thought you where calling me greedy, like i said was just trying to share the other side.
[19:25] Jupiler: in heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here...when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”