Does anyone know why ?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Banana wrote:hehe

check out the still bugged exit in corus mines then (if its still there) and the quest remover.

thats what i ment by bugs briannon :p
Why is the quest remover doing the lot a bug? It would be the other way around :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

well

the patch notes said they were sposed to only clear tasks from levels 1-15 which the euro servers do.

I agree it makes sence that they should clear them all however its bugged :( and unfortunatly we got the unbugged version
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Genedril wrote: On the downside Euro get's far more lag than US.
There is definitely that going on, and you'd think the US version played from Europe would generate more lag.

the Euro client just seems a lot more Resource Hungry that the US client. Things like auto-complete and browser history take much longer to respond when using the Euro version

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Hoonius wrote:There is definitely that going on, and you'd think the US version played from Europe would generate more lag.

the Euro client just seems a lot more Resource Hungry that the US client. Things like auto-complete and browser history take much longer to respond when using the Euro version
I think that's partly why I had network card issues with the euro version and not the US version, it was an on-board 3Com card that gave me the problems, sticking a PCI netgear card in and it worked fine. Essentially I'd have massive permanent lag and LD after only a minute or so with the onboard NIC. Many would blame the onboard NIC but as the NIC worked fine with no only the US version, but hundreds of other games and applications I can't see that that was the case. I'd been using the onboard NIC ever since for well over a year and without a single issue elsewhere.

Also I remember just before I left, me and a friend would have about 5 seconds of lag each time we changed weapons which was seriously annoying as a ranger switching from bow to melee, it's one of the things that made me quit, the obscure lag that the euro client always seemed to suffer no matter what PC I used or what connection I was using.

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Hoonius wrote:There is definitely that going on, and you'd think the US version played from Europe would generate more lag.
That's mostly due to the way that the internet works here as opposed to the US. If you trace your route from say London to Paris, you'll likely route through a lot of international hubs. You'll go via Helsinki, Amsterdam, Brussels etc. The internet is far more fragmented in Europe. In the US, you'll probably make half the number of actual hops to get to your final destination.
Xest wrote:I think that's partly why I had network card issues with the euro version and not the US version, it was an on-board 3Com card that gave me the problems, sticking a PCI netgear card in and it worked fine. Essentially I'd have massive permanent lag and LD after only a minute or so with the onboard NIC. Many would blame the onboard NIC but as the NIC worked fine with no only the US version, but hundreds of other games and applications I can't see that that was the case. I'd been using the onboard NIC ever since for well over a year and without a single issue elsewhere.
There's an issue with certain network cards - notably 3Com Gigabit cards - in their default configuration. There's a setting called Hardware Checksumming by which the NIC does the checksum calculations on incoming packets rather than the CPU as would normally be the case. For some reason this causes exactly the problems you've described as well as other, apparently illogical problems (unplayable lag on one server, perfectly fine on a different one for example). Disabling the option solves the problem. I'm not a network tech so I can't give you the reason why it causes a problem with Euro DAoC and not the US client. I'd imagine it's likely to do with server configurations.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Requiel wrote:That's mostly due to the way that the internet works here as opposed to the US. If you trace your route from say London to Paris, you'll likely route through a lot of international hubs. You'll go via Helsinki, Amsterdam, Brussels etc. The internet is far more fragmented in Europe. In the US, you'll probably make half the number of actual hops to get to your final destination.

There's an issue with certain network cards - notably 3Com Gigabit cards - in their default configuration. There's a setting called Hardware Checksumming by which the NIC does the checksum calculations on incoming packets rather than the CPU as would normally be the case. For some reason this causes exactly the problems you've described as well as other, apparently illogical problems (unplayable lag on one server, perfectly fine on a different one for example). Disabling the option solves the problem. I'm not a network tech so I can't give you the reason why it causes a problem with Euro DAoC and not the US client. I'd imagine it's likely to do with server configurations.
Cheers Requiel, it's something I'd not looked into since I left euro but nice to know what it's down to at least ;) It is odd that it only effects certain apps/servers indeed.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”