Whats coming next in DAOC - lookin nice !

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

It actually wouldn't, it would mean that people would spend 20 more minutes at best searching for the 3/4th druid for the group or whatever support/dps class they need.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Anyone downloaded the video on that page btw?

/Ankh

Cuchuluhain
Emerald Rider

Post by Cuchuluhain »

then you say '10 players' no more than 3 of 1 class, or say 4 naturalists tops.

so warden bard, 2 druids, 3 nukers, 3 tanks......

or

Druid, bard, animist, chanter, bainshee, bainshee, vampiir, chanter, ranger, maeloch..... (whaddya mean thats his normal group?)

bigger group, but cap the max of each 'group' of players, like 4 naturalists, 3 guardians, 3 magicians, 2 foresters, 2 undeads (orwhatever vamps and bains) fall under.

This would stop a 4 healer, 1 skald, 5 warlock group in middie, but would allow the albs to field more 'effective' groups, eg a friar for the resists, a heretic as backup healing for their paladins and clerics.

With tower razing and a return to more 'open' field combat, combined with my concept for mounts (being an HP buffer) to slow down how fast you can butcher an enemy group, tactics and more freeform play could return. Currently the 'elite' can absolutely dominate in rvr and frankly its no goddamn fun to be steamrolled in .00004 of a second by someone who can throw more damage than 2-3 druids spamming their biggest heals can restore in one cast. (minor exaggeration for effect).

How much fun do you think the albs and mids would have if they ran into groups with Usp, Maeloch, Jupiter, Cuch, Puppet, Awarkle, Tanita, Latino all the damn time? (names picked from the back of my head, so f`n sue me). Not a great deal of fun to be on the recieving end, lots of fun to do, lots of fun to see the albs get creamed by em, but it stinks to be on the end of it. So people dont rvr, or they have to megazerg which makes rvr stink overall.

Nukers do too much damn damage now, toa massively overpowered an already powerful class. Tanks got bent over and dry humped without mercy, see many pure tank classes rving these days? Yes? compared to the number of rangers or nukers? Doing anything but manning seige?

Lots of tweaks needed, healing capacity needs upped (some), nuking damage needs toned down, either in the damage it dishes out or the speed at which its dished out.

I would recommend that spell damage is on a sliding scale much like rapid fire is for archers. Now now hear me out. If the spell takes 2 seconds to cast, you hold the spell for 2 seconds and boom, it does its max damage. If your dex is twinked to a level approaching Aran on 5 cans of red bull and half a pound of sugar (ie 375+), and you can sling those spells in 1 second, your spell casts at 1sec but only does 50% of the maximum damage whilst costing exactly the same amount of power. Thus the penalty for slinging spells faster and faster is less damage, think of it in boxing terms, you can throw fast jabs that wear people down, but for the big hitting punches, those take time to setup.

The same can go for healing, and is pretty much already in effect, the small heals are fast to cast, the big high hp heals are slower and not much effected by dex since the healer classes rarely get obscene dex levels (esp bolgies)

Not dying in 2.3 seconds would be SUCH a nice change for most players in rvr, being able to take a few hits and get out of range even nicer.

Now combine the horses adding a hit point buffer / in combat movement boost for tanks, with the fast=less damage change and you have open field combat that goes back to the several minute encounters that used to happen in the first year or so of Daoc.

The horses speed boost would only be say a little better than sprint speed on a char, bards/skalds/mincers riding would be able to improve the horses movement speed out of combat as previously. The mount's abilities would depend on what the rider wanted, they could trade speed for hp. Perhaps a levelling system for the mount itself, feeding off rps/xp made by the rider, different mounts available at different levels/rrs. The mounts themselves could be differentiable by realm AND species.

Picture Paladins riding into battle of blazing white warhorses, against a kobold mounted on a giant wolf, a valewalker riding on the back of a treant taking massive steps. Trolls astride giant boars, an elf enchanter riding a unicorn, an avalonian fire wizard astride a salamander. Vampiirs astride giant bats (not true flight), lurikeen mentalist riding a wolfhound.

Guild saddles, fancy braids, guild banners stuck in poles behind the saddle of the group leader, jousting, getting from a to b quicker when necessary, scaling mounts, or your mount stays with you and levels as you do (akin to pets), The more experienced your mount, the more tricks it gets, like a sprint ability, or the ability to rear up and strike at an enemy (or bite them), or move quietly in a semi stealth mode.

Not possible or plausible? friends, I look back at what theyve added in toa and catacombs, everything is already in there, just in different forms. It would address SO many of the biggest complaints levelled against daoc as it stands.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

dunno if they would get player controlled mounts cuch.
That will be a whole new ball game to introduce that.
Horses to specified areas? yea :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Silverbirch
Emerald Rider

Post by Silverbirch »

Presumably the flying thing is an almost certainty, seeing as they have a Wyvern stable master at Mag Mell?
Now playing...

Midgard Glastonbury

Jemima, 'I see dead people'
Blencathra, pacifier
Helvelyn, Hoooge Twoll

-----
US ACCOUNTS...... Chanter ebayed, Druid Ebayed, Ranger for sale.....

-----
ON ICE... Hibernia Prydwen

Silverbirch Suela - Ranger

Anelille oftheValley - Enchantress

Flyagaric - Animist and mushroom abuser

Boofont Hairstylist - Druid

GM OF THE SYLVAN BLADES

------

PRYDWEN... A LOCAL SERVER FOR LOCAL PEOPLE

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

It's not an April fools have had the new starting towns and newbie quest installed since Thursday. It does look pretty good although I had to report a few bugs with the newbie quest, only minor stuff though like "We need you to support Albion's fight and slay this monster" or something of that sort, even though I was doing the Hibernia quest :p As you walk through the new TNN entrance it definetely feels alot more grand, like you're actually going into some capital city not just some random hole in the side of a hill.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

Cuchuluhain wrote: If your dex is twinked to a level approaching Aran on 5 cans of red bull and half a pound of sugar (ie 375+)
*Bounce*

As ive said before, my solution to this is to make the dex cap for casting 250, like the quickness cap for melee/bow.
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Aran_Thule wrote:*Bounce*

As ive said before, my solution to this is to make the dex cap for casting 250, like the quickness cap for melee/bow.
But then I might not be able to farm all the countless fotm warlocks who suck so bad they can't even press their insta-I-Win button in the time it takes me to two shot them with casted nukes :<
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Banana wrote:balance? nah :)
group of 10 is good.
On the ml raids people try to invite the best peeps to get a good base group but there are alot of peeps left out (VW, ranger, ns etc) who dont get to group with the best base as well..no room.
This would give them a chance to be in a good group :)
I think groupsize don´t matter much in the choices you make for what chars you need in your group, if you gain more by taking say an Enchanter to your group instead of an NS you probably will, because you still want the best base group you can get.

Not saying I don´t think rangers or NS is good, but is worse in groups than other classes ofcourse.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”