How long will DAoC survive?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster

How long will DAoC survive on the European servers?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:18 pm

More than 20 years
91%
More than 20 years
6%
More than 20 years
No votes
More than 20 years
2%
More than 20 years
2%

Total votes: 53

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I hope the next big RvR game relies more on tactics again (like OLD RvR) than IWIN! buttons (like NF PvP).
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:I hope the next big RvR game relies more on tactics again (like OLD RvR) than IWIN! buttons (like NF PvP).
Tactics like group purge you mean :p ?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:Tactics like group purge you mean :p ?
shhhh :p

you're spoiling my delve into nostalgia :|
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Kesxex wrote:It will go for a long while. Most likely when the commercial version is downed we will see a couple of freeshard servers that take over for the hardcore players.

freeshard daoc already exists in many forms ;)
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Group purge...I loved daoc with all my heart, but the farther away I get from the game, the more I think whoever was in charge of class balance really sucked at his job.

Mythic's design of class system and balance was totally out of place and imo one of the biggest reasons the game lost its playerbase so rapidly past one point.

Of course there were buffbots too, which we thought was something normal really, until companies released games you didn't need one and it backfired so hard on Mythic.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything you can do for daoc anymore sadly. Beyond all I have said above, there are a lot of 'newbie' problems that will put people off. Like old graphics, ridiculous downtime when solo'ing, etc etc.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

tbh this is a silly poll, although a sincere one. Games die, but they also live on. I remember many games that i liked to play and spamming forums where i said this game will die and that, and generally they take a major whack in population. However, most of them live on because of nostalgia. Take for example a game named Rune, nice game, online play absolutely blows due to bad net code but still, after seven years people still play. DAOC will be the same as all the others - peeps will want the game to die but it never will as a hardcore bunch of peeps will always want to play the game ( you can prolly include me in there although i have left but still i wanna play damned irl bills :E) So basically just be prepared to take a major slap in the population and leave it be till you want to play again or keep playing :)
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I think it will survive for atleast another 38 minutes. Atleast.

/Ankh

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

OohhoO wrote:I hope the next big RvR game relies more on tactics again (like OLD RvR) than IWIN! buttons (like NF PvP).
I heartily agree, although I think the old game had limited tactics but the slightly slower pace of combat gave more time for non-button-mashing components of the fight (like manouvring and coordinating with others).

Would be great to see a game where items, RAs, and other cumulative benefits had a much smaller part to play and the mechanics allowed for more variety of battle. Getting those mechanics right so that players don't just gravitate to a narrow range of classes, abilities and tactics is the real challenge to PvP design, I think. I can't think of a game that's managed it yet.

On topic - I would give the commerical DAoC servers of pryd/excal 2 years tops. Could be a lot less. Freeware it might exist for decades, but if only a tiny number of people play it, it won't be existing in the form we all loved best - busy and alive.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I think the conan mmorpg might be that kind of game - as you need to actually use your weapons instead of just pressing a button for a specific style.

/Ankh

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

As English is most likely the dominant language in Europe, as far as separate countries are concerned, do you think GOA might decide to change some of the non-English servers to English so that they could cluster even more servers together? I.e. make some of the less populated French and German servers English, then cluster them with Excal and Pryd? Or would that more than likely cause non-English players to quit playing?

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”