Server Clustering(?) in EU!? GOA please reply.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Luz
Emerald Rider

Server Clustering(?) in EU!? GOA please reply.

Post by Luz »

Hi!

I am just wondering, are there plans or even discussions about Server Clustering in EU?

Considering the insane populationissues nowadays..

Also with new opened servers some people leaving for thoose!
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

ohh goodness. he has actualy talked about this in the 45053429852 million threads that have been posted on the subject. It wont be happening until 1.74 anyways, and they are still looking into it.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

I have been away from the game.

Also not seen any expected releasedate on 1.74?
Bah. Lv50s.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Luz wrote:Considering the insane populationissues nowadays..
It's not that bad imo..there was some weeks with really bad population and ofcourse we are still low, but since raids are working (apart from when certain persons who's name I wont even mention ruins it) its good enough for me atleast :)

/Ankh

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, clustering the English servers in Europe would be a most foolhardy thing to do. The reason is that this would mean that English speaking players would be limited to playing one realm and one realm only because of the cross-realming issues. Let me explain with an example...

Before clustering of the US servers I had hib alts on Gawaine, alb alts on Iseult and mid alts on Palomides. Initially all three of these servers were clustered together so in theory I could have logged on to Gawaine, looked at the status of the bgs and the frontiers, logged out, loaded up either my alb or mid alts and given a spy report on the movement of the hibs. To prevent this from happening Mythic built in an 8 hour delay between logging out of a realm on one of the servers in the cluster and logging onto another realm on another server in the cluster. What I had to do eventually was wait and see the final configuration of the clustered servers and delete my alb and mid alts from Iseult and Palomides and recreat them on two different clusters. I now have hibs on the Gawaine cluster, mids on the Bedevere cluster and albs on the Kay cluster.

Also, because of the cross-realming thing I am now restricted to only creating Hibs on any of the three servers in the Gawaine cluster - that's the potential for 30 hibs alts spread over three servers but I cannot now create an alt on mid or alb on any of the servers in that cluster. Likewise I can only create albs on the Kay cluster and nothing else.

It has been possible to cluster in the US and not restrict players from trying all three realms because of the significantly greater number of English language servers than there are in Europe.

Now, if Prydwen and Excalibur were clustered you would have the same situation that if you have hib alts on pryd and alb alts on excal (which I do), if I logged onto hib, saw none of my m8s were playing and the realm was quiet, I would have to wait 8 hours before I could go play my alb alts instead. In effect, my game session is restricted to playing one realm on both servers.

I cannot stress strongly enough that imho clustering can only be viable where you have sufficient servers so that players can still keep the option of playing different realms on different servers without the 8 hour delay. To only have 2 English normal servers does not give that flexibilty: you are effectively restricted to one realm per account.

If Prydwen and Excalibur are clustered, then my 3 european accounts will be closed and I will do a Xest, permanently relocate to the US servers.

It is interesting to note that GOA have said they are going to move direct from 1.73 to 1.75, which I hope means they will not introduce clustering as that happened in the US 1.74 version.

Clustering in Europe is not the answer to low realm populations

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

You COULD cluster Prydwen and Avalon ?

Even if not both english servers, the NF zone could still be common, letting english people go head to head vs. germans or others etc?

well I dont know.. good points there tho Briannon.
Bah. Lv50s.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Briannon wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again
But why? :D

/Ankh

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Ankh Morpork wrote:But why? :D

/Ankh

Not everyone listens first time around :)

... or is that just cos I bore people?

Tasmin
Emerald Rider

Post by Tasmin »

Never understood why GOA/Mythic didnt make DAOC multilingual. After all its just a bunch of messages, surely some system could have been devised where it looked at some client setting and displayed the relevant msg? Lots of other software does this... Then they could have introduced clustering across all euro servers and actually increased the number of realms people can play in to three as well.

Guess its the shortsightedness of the US Mythic developers.

Tas

Doesnt help now I know :(

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Briannon wrote:Not everyone listens first time around :)

... or is that just cos I bore people?

ahh...well...could be both ]/Ankh[/B]

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”