Next expansion.

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

Sharkith wrote:It also continues the tread in other MMPORG's like WOW....

& destroys the realm individuality that's already been eroded by ToA.
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Gandelf wrote:"Overpowered" is a word used too often in DAoC. I don't think there are any overpowered classes in the game, nor will the new Mauler class be overpowered. Mythic can't afford to create a class that will be overpowered, because it would kill the game. Everyone would just create characters of that class and the game would stagnate. Yes, I know there are classes that are better suited to taking out other certain classes, but in general all classes are good in some situations, but weak in others. This is Mythic's way of saying that we should work together in a complementary fashion. Usually, classes that are slightly overpowered get nerfed anyway, so people shouldn't get too hot under the collar, thinking that Maulers will be overpowered. They will be like all other class, good in some situations but not so good in others.
aww sweetie
i take it you dont remember animists before the shroom nerf?
or locks before their nerf?

they DO make overpowered classes
thing is - they will be equally overpowered in all realms so no realm will be moaning :p
cept for the people who are still playing non-mauler classes
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Seanpaul
Emerald Rider

Post by Seanpaul »

i still dont see what the worry is about.

1)new area-

doesnt matter much, but will be benificial to those that will bother to use it. look at catacombs, i'd say 45-50% of people dont know their way around there so why whine about this as it wont effect you?

2) new class-
it'll change the game a tiny bit for sure, but i think it'll be more like a valkyrie/valewalker rather than anything else, a class that people can use and play and possibly enjoy, but wont be deemed as viable for the 'hardcore' who normally are the most vocal whiners. you wont use it. wont affect you much right? less whine.

3)extra CLs-
not a problem, not exactly extra PvE, if they add an extra story then its another nice raid to do. (isnt Co5 the nicest way to xp artifacts/get champ xp for those that can be bothered to go? if you RvR and dont utilise this then boohoo.)

4)new race- 2h weapons in one hand? fine its not a bad idea, no one said anything about duel wielding and obviously people have thought of this. probably just able to use shield as a spec line as well as large weapon. (unlocking celtic spear/mid spear/polearm styles for melee classes as well as being able to use shield wouldnt be a bad idea in my eyes. i'm sure that they'll lower the dps in some way to affect this.)

it'll all be tested and thought out i hope so just wait and see i guess. not writing it off totally yet.
So open your mouth and stick to your guns. You've gotta realise that she's indifferent. Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh what your name? just wont learn, here we go again.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Genedril wrote:& destroys the realm individuality that's already been eroded by ToA.

Individuality means you only get to enjoy a third (In daocs case) of the game, but it doesn't make the game three times as good.

Minkyra
Emerald Rider

Post by Minkyra »

I must say I am looking forward to it, as a casual player I have yet to have any real issues since day one with any of the exapnsions as I am happy with what I can achieve (its taken me best part of 2 years to get one char to ml5 and as someone many under 30 won't remember said..." A man's got to know his limitations") thus more content is always interesting. Yes the levelling can be hard work but I guess you can stop at a no. of stages now depending on what you want from the game. The game must evovle and am pleased to see that happen as well as how such evolutions affect the dynamics of the game, dynamics which I imagine the above indicates I still don't get after playing for years doh:

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

Ovi wrote:Individuality means you only get to enjoy a third (In daocs case) of the game, but it doesn't make the game three times as good.

Well I actually enjoy the fact that all realms are different & the classes & races all offer something slightly different from each other.

It's bad enough as it is with the 'I'm a dual-wielder therefore I have battler & malice & GoV' or 'I'm a mage & therefore I have champ weapon & GoV & foppish sleeves' that ToA has brought us. The is no realm indivduality & this means that half the lore of the game is thrown out of the window. You stick you head out of the front gates & everyone seems to have the same kit as you. I wouldn't mind if they had exactly the same stats and just looked different (different names wouldn't go amiss for lore reasons). I suppose the next logical choice was to give everyone the same race & class if you're going down this road.

If I wanted to play a game where everyone had access to the same classes, races & abilities I'd go & play 'insert fps here'. Either that or in order to access the other 2/3's of the game (if I felt it really neccesary) I'd go & play on those realms (wait I do that already). Giving access to identical race/class across all three realms doesn't mean you get to access the other 2/3's anyway - if you want that you've actually got to go there & experience what it's like in Mid or Alb - all it does is play further havoc with the DAoC lore & continue the morph of all realms into one big amorphous mass.
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

Banana wrote:aww sweetie
i take it you dont remember animists before the shroom nerf?
or locks before their nerf?

they DO make overpowered classes
thing is - they will be equally overpowered in all realms so no realm will be moaning :p
cept for the people who are still playing non-mauler classes

I know what you're saying, but in my post I did say that if they are initially overpowered, then they will eventually nerfed so that they aren't.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Gandelf wrote:I know what you're saying, but in my post I did say that if they are initially overpowered, then they will eventually nerfed so that they aren't.
But eventually might mean months - until then the game could be pretty anoying due to an OP'd class. And they shouldnt make the same mistake again imo.

/Ankh

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Well i read that and that's pretty much decided it for me, i will be quitting for good when lord of the rings online comes out this winter. More stupid ideas with absolutely little or no incentive to play them = me leaving :>
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:Individuality means you only get to enjoy a third (In daocs case) of the game, but it doesn't make the game three times as good.
Only if you restrict yourself to 1/3rd the game and/or only play against 1/3rd the opposing realms...

You don't have to roll every class and cast every spell to get most out the game, at worst by only sticking to one realm you still get to play against the opposing realms classes/abilities and only lose out on the PvE which is mostly fairly similar. That has a lot more longevity in it than just coming up against the same abilities that you've got on your char all the time. Would much rather play a game that's got too much to do than too little, variation means there's always something more you can do if you want to.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”