mmorpg chart

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Yes, and the scary thing is that now they've been making that much money, they need even more to keep their company "healthy". It's an interesting situations, economically. When interest in WoW starts to wane, as it probably will a few years hence, how do they find successor products? I am a bit pessimistic about their ability to make all the factors contributing to WoW's popularity come about again.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

thats if it does wane.
peeps still play the multiplayer on warcraft games
mainly cuz blizzard are good at updating
for instance the expansion - the highest level will be changed from level 60 to 70.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

why is changing the highest lvl make it better? i would be pissed off if suddenly i had to get another 10 lvls on DAoC on my 50's...
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

pikeh wrote:why is changing the highest lvl make it better? i would be pissed off if suddenly i had to get another 10 lvls on DAoC on my 50's...
I think I agree...adding more levels isnt really good - but adding other things for your char (like masterlevels or the DR stuff) might be better. Unfortunatly adding new things to improve your char will make the game messy :(
Especially for a game like daoc where some people just wanted to ding 50 and then do rvr.

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

pikeh wrote:why is changing the highest lvl make it better? i would be pissed off if suddenly i had to get another 10 lvls on DAoC on my 50's...
oh i agree
having more levels in daoc would be a 100% bad idea
but wow isnt like daoc.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Banana wrote:oh i agree
having more levels in daoc would be a 100% bad idea
but wow isnt like daoc.
Imo its the same with any mmorpg...especially if you put loads of energy into finally ding the final level. Then again, are there any similar things to MLs/DR in wow?

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

well.
Onyxia the dragon is a level 60 instance thingy i think
also lots of other level 60 instances.
afaik when they up the level to 70 they will be adding on other dungeons.
And you get more spending points.
Unsure of new abilities :p tbh the abilities you get are kinda like RR.
you can spec that your bolts get resisted/less intererupts from level 10

Also with daoc - the main problem is templates. With wow i dont think you have the same problem as peeps seem to wear all diff stuff. Think its got something to do with crafting. If your heat resist is low then just buy a potion from an alchemist and so on :)

But this is from a pure PVE side of view.
PvP could be different.

I think theyre also adding on gem crafting :)

im still new at it all so it confuses me alot still :)
I am grouping with friends with my main char (mage) but im taking my druid through solo so i know what to do etc :)

all i know is night elfs are such prima donnas :p
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

<ankh> wrote:Imo its the same with any mmorpg...especially if you put loads of energy into finally ding the final level. Then again, are there any similar things to MLs/DR in wow?

/Ankh

Blizzard just had the bottle to call the extra requirements levels, unlike Mythic who called them Master *levels*.

The net effect is the same, you have to put more effort in to stay at (or get to) the top, whatever form that may take.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:Blizzard just had the bottle to call the extra requirements levels, unlike Mythic who called them Master *levels*.

The net effect is the same, you have to put more effort in to stay at (or get to) the top, whatever form that may take.
Well, if levels in WoW are like levels in DAoC then the net effect isn't the same. A caster with ML0 can still nuke as fast and hard as a caster with ML10, like wise a tank has just the same stats and to-hit as ML0 and ML10. Compare that to the difference between a lvl40 caster and a lvl50 one or a lvl40 tank and a lvl50 tank where there's absolutely 0 chance to compete between the two, whereas there is still a good chance to compete between an ML0 and an ML10 and you can see levels are totally different so having the bottle to call it something that it's not is a pretty silly argument. Levels also tend to break things more too, like all of a sudden monsters that were never designed to be soloable suddenly are. Extra levels simply have no comparison to things like MLs other than the fact that both take time to acheive - the effect, essentialness of them and such are very different things. If Mythic had just added extra levels the required grind and effect on the game would've been far far worse than the effect MLs had as you'd get people being able to solo/duo dragons and stuff no doubt.

In terms of the social aspect I'd wager a bet too that trying to get a group with level 70s at lvl60 is is a big fat no chance, whereas trying to get a group as an ML0 really isn't too bad.

Also unless WoW has changed, it's levelling system is just the same as DAoCs dull old PvE quest/farm grind, that's a billion times less interesting than doing MLs tbh.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Your taste is just different to other people's though and a huge part of wow's playerbase and that's something you are forgetting.

For most people playing wow the quest grind from 1-60 was the most enjoyable thing they ever did. There are literally 20 threads each day saying how much fun this was. Leveling was a great experience for most in wow and they do want to redo it with new content. It was fun for them because a) they could do it solo whenever they wanted which gave them a sense of achievement and b) because if you actually read the quests and were interested in the wow universe it was actually fun. Most people who didn't like it came from other mmo's and either grinded to 60 or paid no attention to the quests, thinking they were just fluff and that something else awaited them at 60. They weren't fluff, they were the content itself at that time.

Also, pvp players are really a minority, the raid and pve crowd is really huge compared to the pvp'ers. There are like 5-6 regular pvp teams in my server (with ~15-20 people each) while there are 30 raid guilds/communities doing the 40 man dungeons (with ~60 members minimum each) and propably a lot more doing 20 man dungeons. In daoc NP was considered a top guild for gaining rp's and being top in pvp, in wow Death and Taxes are the top guild and that's because they have killed the most bosses. Noone even knows any pvp guild, everyone knows D&T. Really few care about the grind, most enjoy and play to do the grind. The whole point of wow is making each grind enjoyable and exciting and not just a timesink that gets you to your actual goal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As for the original topic, finally shows what a flop ddo was in numbers. Other than that, it's more or less what i expected.

As for the prices, they charge whatever they think people will pay and since that works best for them, they are not a charity service to change it :P

And you have to take into account wow has 155 servers in europe only, which is a lot compared to most mmo's.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”