EA buys into Mythic..

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

The issue with EA isn't intentional destruction of an MMOG though, UO was doing better than DAoC ever has when EA came in and trashed it, the problem being that they try and change the game to appeal to the masses which has in every single case involving EA led to a massive influx of stupid people followed by a massive decline and the death of the MMOG. Earth and Beyond had to close it's doors and shut down it's servers as a result of EA's take over and that WAS their only cash cow so EA isn't afraid to losing the cash cow of the company they take over by making mistakes - it just means they lay off the staff too.

There's always the ethical side of it too, by supporting EA you are supporting slave labour also which some people will be annoyed at.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Hemuli
Emerald Rider

Post by Hemuli »

Daoc 2 incoming! :x Grr what week, only shit have happened and now this.
- murr -

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. :|

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Nored wrote:
And do you thing Mythic would let EA crush them? I don't think so ...
who are you trying to kid? Have you seen what mergers like this can do? One culture clashes with another culture and the bigger of the two always wins. It happens the world over and it always costs jobs.
Xest wrote: There's always the ethical side of it too, by supporting EA you are supporting slave labour also which some people will be annoyed at.
Lets not be too melodramatic Xest. :p
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Cromcruaich wrote: DAOC is now a low risk project. Its is stable as a project, it is profitable, it has a stable user base. Infact when the accountants came in and did all the audits that occur prior to these takeovers, daoc and it's income would of been the main company asset. Profits from DAOC are what will be propping up the WAR development.
This is not the only logic for takeovers all this does is minimise the immediate risk. It is more likely that they saw it as a low risk venture - you buy something stable invest some capital on an upcoming product and boom mega bucks.

They will have done this with the potential of a multiformat MMPORG in the offing. Given that this means the userbase of WAR has to broaden to those very numpteys I tried to escape when I came to MMPORG's I guess this might even mean I have to avoid WAR as well. :(

Perhaps I should start paying more attention to the job :(
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

EA buying Mythic is a lowrisk investment for EA to try and get a big MMORPG out on the market. I dont really think they care one shit about DAoC, they are hoping WAR will be a big success, if its not they can just trash the Mythic department and go on with their lifes as nothing ever happened.

At best I bet they leave DAoC running with support but no development, which is the same as killing it.
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Sharkith wrote:Lets not be too melodramatic Xest. :p
I wouldn't say melodramatic. These horror stories apalled me to be honest. I can remember my first job out of college, eager to please and naive to boot. EA just take advantage of people in this state to the point that they quit the industry altogether. All that lovely talent and all those fresh ideas are wasted :¬(

Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

lets compare DaoC to WoW
Daoc some 20-30 regular player base/day--->not really a cash cow
WOW some million----> cash cow

they want to make money not peanuts,the investor will aske why do we only make xx% profit while we make xxxx% profit with WAR they will close daoc

Arkaon / Karak-Norn
and plenty of other chars between 10 and 30

Trez
Emerald Rider

Post by Trez »

lets compare DaoC to WoW
Daoc some 20-30 regular player base/day--->not really a cash cow
WOW some million----> cash cow

they want to make money not peanuts,the investor will aske why do we only make xx% profit while we make xxxx% profit with WAR they will close daoc
Alex remember that Mythic dont get subs from EU where the numbers are as you say, but from the US subs, and they got a bigger crowd of regular player base/day.

So it is a cash cow for Mythic, maybe not a big one, but still enough to get EA interested.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Sharkith wrote:This is not the only logic for takeovers all this does is minimise the immediate risk. It is more likely that they saw it as a low risk venture - you buy something stable invest some capital on an upcoming product and boom mega bucks.

Thats pretty much what I was getting at. DAOC and it's is what makes the venture low risk.
--

To me WAR is a much bigger threat to DAOC than ever EA is. Frankly I hope war sinks forever as I really havent the time to spend on a new mmorpg, and i've grown very fond of this one ;)
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sharkith wrote:Lets not be too melodramatic Xest. :p
Of course it's not exactly slave labour, but the working practices that EA enforces are illegal and they have been taken to court over it on a few occasions. It's really no better than companies using child labour and such in 3rd world nations - that's not something that should be supported. Note that EA will often push developers to work almost twice as long as the legal maximum European working hour week, are you suggesting that's not something to be bothered or concerned about? Those limits exist for a reason.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”