Is it Zerg or Bust for the casual player in RvR nowadays?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
ambera
Emerald Rider

Post by ambera »

Sports players may not get new abilities, but they do get cash monneh. Think on...

I agree that the RR system leads to unbalanced gameplay, and it would probably be better if the rewards for RVR were ones that did not give the player such big advantages; fluff like titles, mounts and houses could all be used to reward end-game players as well as abilities that give a *slight* advantage. But it's too late for DaoC to go that way now.
Ambera the Heroine
Avery, Thid NS & Potion Monkey
Ascarii the Warden
Animamba, Verdant Ani
Ahoulin, Luri Screamer

long-tailed nanny-o

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I agree its here and here to stay. It is also the same in Eve - veterans have a massive advantage in terms of skill training over newer players. Its just the way these games tend to be they reward loyality to the product with a better developed character.

Like I said if there is a problem it is with the way people think and construct their time in game.

Anyways I still lub you all ;) I am like that unwanted kid who used to follow you around at school. Always there just in the distance. Watching.

Tuorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuorin »

Tbh its not always the case that higher rr = always win. Its usually how the fight starts and how your team plays that turns the fight. I cant remember really xxxx ra generally turning the fight. The downside to that argument is passive ra wise you cant tell so yes a RR10 sm will do more damage than rr2 one.More often than not fights vs similar standard opponents are turned by position, luck, cb being up, good kiting and faster assist than di3 vs di2. Even as much as your connection can be a difference maker.

I've been playing a lot in pugs recently with my lowbie banshee and with people that arent toaed. RR3/4 with odd high RR. Its hard, but we have beaten RR10/11 mid group and high RR albs at times, mainly through some of the above. Of course like any random group we have been utterly decimated and by probably very similar opposing pugs.

Advice to anyone, stick at it, avoid agramon, hit chokepoints, throw down a speedwarp and kill as many as you can. Rinse repeat and even 20 defeats a night would get you quite quickly 30k or so. Remember how it was in OF? 20 runs to emain = 12-16 hours of gaming and maybe 5k of rps. :) It aint so bad, think about how it was when rvr was 20 minutes+ from death to next fight (apart from the gankers roaming bolg and adding on sight as 2-3fg).
No sig!

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

I usualy jump fg's even tho I only run duo/trio or so, dont realy except to survive but can now and then kill one or two before going down if getting in a nice mezz, always a laugh :)
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Galadra
Emerald Rider

Post by Galadra »

yea i agree with ankh..its much more fun than playing RvR with non-stealther..loved my BM in thid but ranger/ns FG pwens and shouldnt be counted as a zerg...i mostly solo but when i grp its allways fun=)

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Tuorin wrote:Tbh its not always the case that higher rr = always win. Its usually how the fight starts and how your team plays that turns the fight. I cant remember really xxxx ra generally turning the fight. The downside to that argument is passive ra wise you cant tell so yes a RR10 sm will do more damage than rr2 one.More often than not fights vs similar standard opponents are turned by position, luck, cb being up, good kiting and faster assist than di3 vs di2. Even as much as your connection can be a difference maker.
I agree 100% that it would be extremely rare for a single RA to win a battle outside solo play, but the impact of combined RAs on a group battle could win the fight. When you stack MoCs, Dets, Purges, DIs, Charges with the passives against people who have maybe just a couple or even none of those things it makes a huge impact.

I'm not saying it wins a fight on its own. Other factors like artis and how you play affect it, but if you said 2 groups put in the same amount of PvE to get their templates, had similar spec PCs and played at comparable levels the main deciding factors for an 8 v 8 are going to be situational (surprise, recent combat, etc) and RAs. You can take situational out since probabilities will even it out in the long run. That leaves RAs being the deciding factor in fights that would otherwise be completely fair.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Tuorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Tuorin »

Ofc having more ras that others can influence victory more so than not as you say Cryn. The other factors that make things worse are player performance, positioning, experience, teamwork, exceptional luck, los, terrain and of course the actual performance of your groups classes vs the ones you are fighting. I'm sure there's many others that do. An example might be you come across a very high rr group of albs and get perfect stacked mez and you are running 2 chanters. Odds are you will kill 1 or 2 fast enough to make the remaining 8 vs 6 somewhat easier. If you tried that vs mids, odds are you'd get insta mezzed then stunned and ripped up.

The hardest thing is that some people take a lot longer to play to a certain level than others and sometimes a low rr character can make up for that by outperforming his higher rr brethren or opponents, just by doing whatever he does. Sounds like school!
No sig!

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

True, it's more about skills then RA's, but still if you'r fighting people that are equally skilled and your a lower RR you will probably loose, depending on whats up and how much in RR it differs between the player/players.

Still higher RR dosent have to mean that you will win.
some fights will be a combination of luck skill, RR and what groupsetup you encounter.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

I do agree with you, Tourin, and I understand that RAs are not the be all and end all, but even in the example you give
Tuorin wrote:An example might be you come across a very high rr group of albs and get perfect stacked mezz
I think RR could play a big part in the outcome (and it might be my lack of knowledge here, so correct me if I am wrong). Even if you time your mezzes just right to get past CBs and purges, wouldn't SoS, charge and det still make a huge difference to the number of people actually mezzed? A low RR group might have almost none of those RAs where as an RR10 group will typically have all of them.

I'm not trying to pick holes, because I do understand that skill still plays a big part in who wins fights. It just that I've had a lot of frustration in the past getting the drop on someone through using sneaky tactics or just reacting better and then still having our group taken apart because our damage and CC bounced off for the crucial first few seconds of the fight.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Cryn wrote: I think RR could play a big part in the outcome (and it might be my lack of knowledge here, so correct me if I am wrong). Even if you time your mezzes just right to get past CBs and purges, wouldn't SoS, charge and det still make a huge difference to the number of people actually mezzed? A low RR group might have almost none of those RAs where as an RR10 group will typically have all of them.

ofcourse you will have an advantage, and if you havent got any RA's atall more or less, and Encounter a group with more or less only RR10 or something like that, well ofcourse it wont go well, and it shouldent, thats why you will have to try and avoide groups like that if the whole group is really low and go for lower RR groups and such.

I wouldent mind starting over on a new char and even in a new group, is a rather interessting challange, it would be hard at first, but it you have people with you that know how to play then you will advance fast.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”