Sardine
Emerald Rider

Post by Sardine »

DAoC died on Prydwen the day Xest left :(
gone...

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Quinlan wrote:and imo max 5 arties is enough on most characters...2 extra dex or 20 extra hitpoints that you get with a maxed out template dont make the difference..the player does
damn

no hope for me then :(
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Expansions aren't the problem in themselves, often they add some great new features and zones to MMORPGs. The problem comes if expansions turn the game into too much of a time sink. ToA is a huge time sink, no getting away from it. Yes they've taken steps to alleviate this, but it's still a time sink. In Catacombs there's lots of features to make the PvE process much faster, which is great. Trouble is, DAOC is about RvR and Catacombs is about PvE and many of its items and abilities don't even work in RvR. To RvR competitively you still need to put your characters through ToA for the ML abilities and artifacts etc. End result, ToA = essential, Catacombs = optional, whereas many players wished the reverse was true.

With large time sinks facing new players, casual players and serial alt-ists the best ways to combat a dwindling player base are to greatly speed up the levelling process, greatly speed up ToA (or better still, admit mistakes and fully marginalise this expansion) and to make all current expansions available for free download, so you only have to pay for base DAOC and the new Darkness Rising when it comes out.

Even then, DAOC will decline, as all games must. You can only flog an ageing game engine for so long. So, the only real future is DAOC 2. Perhaps next time round Mythic will realise that the way you retain subscribers is by having a game which is compelling and vital, not by just throwing time sinks in the way of players.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Cernos wrote: So, the only real future is DAOC 2.
Tbh I think warhammer will be the 'daoc 2' and if they do even only a decent job with it - it will still rock as the world of warhammer is THE fantasy world no 1! (according to me atleast)

..but seriously, what point are all the 'daoc is dying' 'daoc is dead' posts? We've seen a couple of them already and it still ends up with people saying the same things..and hey - daoc's still here. Imo you can ofc see toa/ml's/templates as a time sink but atleast I wouldnt have stayed if it was just about getting to level 50 and do rvr for the rest of the time. Atm I think clustering might be what kills the EU english servers really. Why? The PvE cluster rocked big time...the RvR cluster...well, thats something else. There are way to many people out doing rvr now. Perhaps you wont see many if you just run around in the different realms looking for action. But try agramon if you wanna get steam rolled by high RR GG's...or try hitting a tower or two and see what happens. It's not as if you get a couple of angry mids or anoyed albs that runs out to argue with you...it's more like what you would expect if you stick your hand into a bee hive and shake it a couple of times. And that my dear friends, is the only thing that bothers me atm. I can live with the PvE part even tho sometimes boring...but not sure if I can stand being constantly outnumbered.

Edit: ML's, Toa'd or really high RR...not much you can do if you face 5 times more people that your own group (perhaps high RR can help but even a high RR group will have problem against 5fg+)

/Ankh

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

If daoc dies, where will all our characters go and what will happen to Mag Mell and Tir Na Nog? After all those years, it feels as if the place really existed at some point. It's weird to think that one day they will pull the plug and everything will go 'puff' and all the places you visited will no longer be. It would be nice to have a final event if the servers ever closed, even if i doubt this will ever happen.

Btw, is UO still alive or they pulled the plug?

edit: Ok, i found UO is alive but they have made some samurai and ninja expansions, i would rather see a game i play die before it turns from a western europe fantasy setting to double dragon extreme and see ninja elves around me! Why not put zulu warriors next to Lord British as well, doesn't sound too far off, does it?!
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Argyleyn wrote:If daoc dies, where will all our characters go and what will happen to Mag Mell and Tir Na Nog? After all those years, it feels as if the place really existed at some point. It's weird to think that one day they will pull the plug and everything will go 'puff' and all the places you visited will no longer be. It would be nice to have a final event if the servers ever closed, even if i doubt this will ever happen.
hmm

something like the 'last battle' :p

(from chronicles of narnia - the last book where narnia is distroyed..)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Overdue

Post by Overdue »

I predict it has at least another year left:|
Devera the 10th Season Thunderer Blademaster
Gori the 8th Season Silver Hand Bard
Deify the 9th Season Flammen Vakten Spiritmaster

Retired

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Argyleyn wrote:If daoc dies, where will all our characters go and what will happen to Mag Mell and Tir Na Nog?
Well I feel the ghosts of my characters will always be running around the streets of Tir Na Nog and tunnels of Corus even if no-one can see them. Though they're probably naked ghosts thanks to GOA ]After all those years, it feels as if the place really existed at some point. It's weird to think that one day they will pull the plug and everything will go 'puff' and all the places you visited will no longer be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is strange. I think a lot of people have more emotional attachment to DAOC as for many it was their first MMORPG and one of the strong points of the RvR system was how it engendered a strong sense of community. I still remember the genuine and palpable excitement and sense of discovery logging into Mag Mell for the first time. I've never recaptured this with any of the MMORPGs I've played since.
Btw, is UO still alive or they pulled the plug?
UO is still going, as is the original Everquest. DAOC will keep going too no doubt for as long as there's players wanting to play. It might be that EU players have to eventually move to the Mythic servers to keep playing though if GOA find it's not financially viable to keep their franchise going.

I think it all depends on how good DAOC 2 / Warhammer is as to how much of the remaining loyal player base at that time decide to make the switch.

Luon
Emerald Rider

Post by Luon »

the difference with daoc among all other mmorpgs is the "changeble graphs" the game gets upgraded when new game come out. there isint really another game like daoc out on the market, some ppl might say wow is the best mmorpg game out there because it got a 4.5 mill customer world wide,

But think about if a new dood buy daoc today with all the expansions etc and read manuals and stuff to get started it wouldnt take that long for him/her to get involved into "the rvr scene" . I myself find it funny that there even is ppl that havent played old frontier. I myself have played the rvr scene since i started to play daoc was out with my good old warden around lvl 20 and zerged bloods hunters with all the other "high lvl" hibbs at the time :D

Most ppl that play atm started to rvr for real around si release to and spend hours and hours soloing duoing full grping taking keeps taking relics etc etc.

but there is still loads of ppl that myself that started to rvr before si and got rr5+ when there was alot of nice fg vs fg action as it is today and prolly thats why prydwen server are so into fg vs fg action instead as it is on alot of other servers zerg vs zerg 24/7.

and ppl say you cannot solo in rvr anymore i dont really get that statment or you cannot solo without bb anymore. really you can do exactly that not pwning everything you meet but ofc you can.

i myself prefer solo with my shade and bb when i play my shade i dont fancy stealther zergs i dont even fancy duos as loads of my fellow ns and ranja friends know :D and i can say ive done fairly good for myself at the rp cow market. Infact its gone so good i dont even find it funny or challenging anymore to play nightshade with all the current overpowerd abilites they have compare to other assasins.

So i started to gear and fix my good old warden again :D and funny i find daoc more fun the ever for the time being. I think the community is superb so many nice ppl on this server its silleh. even most excal pepps ive meet are nice. ofc there is always some assholes around but majority is great ppl.

So bottom line for a new player i dont really see how hard it can be. Just need to cut down the prices on stuffs on cm´s and get back to the charity handouts to newbie ppl and as quinlan said focus on 2-3 chars max dont need 10 chars rr10 ml10 to enjoy every aspect of this game.

Before i end this liddul essay of daoc is gonna die i just would like to comment more about what a new person would do in daoc .D

Tbh i really dout there is many new ppl that go to a gameshop check out the games and decide they gonna buy daoc. i think the new ppl getting daoc is persons who have watch there friends or husbands/wives/kids played and decides to give it a start.

First of all daoc isint a singleplayer game but will be for thoose ppl that have narrow ways of looking at it. I said to all my old guildmates in ascending dawn loads of times to cut down on gameplay hours or take breaks or just move to other servers and try new stuff instead of just focusing on getting them high rr and become an "elite part of prydwen rvr" thoose ppl that are mention in rvr threads that is :D

A new dood in daoc wouldnt understand what terms like zerg adding qqing is before after investing some time in just learning the launguage so to speak :D

i mean if your friend for example Carl gets daoc and starts to play and get a lvl 50 ranger and goes out to rvr and shoots albs and midds someday this dood will get a tell from a fellow realm mate DONT ADD FFS you F****** C*** he would go jeez daoc have stupid ppl in it :D. so for new ppl in daoc i would say we the old community should be careful of using terms like n00bs and silleh newbies or rpg ppl cause you dont know if its a first timer or something similar so this person will prolly quit after couple of months cause he fail to see the depth of the game.

So basically how i see it is that we the community of daoc have responsibilites then goa have to get new players.

sorry for the long post and the time ive stolen from you :tare:

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Sardine wrote:DAoC died on Prydwen the day Xest left :(
yes :( ;)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”