Hatsepsut
Emerald Rider

Post by Hatsepsut »

Oh my...I'm so glad I quit.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Pheasant wrote:GOA made no official posts on there website
In this regard Leg is pretty much correct I think. I seem to remember one of the GM's making the comment here or on FH in the early stages of this debacle that their comments on forums were unofficial. This view then changed when people commented on the lack of official posts on the GOA webby to a comment that there was nothing concrete to add and comments were being made by GOA via the various forums.

However I have been pleased to note that comments made here or on FH have been noted by GOA and at times acted upon. The clamour for official recognition that restoration was continuing has at last been met and ofc the comment about the cash replacement for rog not being helpful as rog was in short supply was also dealt with.

So as much as the base problem may have been unpalatable and as much as we can moan about the time taken for restoration, I have taken some positives from it all - the GM's (or whoever) read these sites and can have an influence over what GOA does.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Treeeebeard
Emerald Rider

Post by Treeeebeard »

Pheasant wrote:Anyway, post cluster and i've decieded enough is enough. My last account closed today, and am now subbing up EVE - different game but much better support!
Ive just started playing eve too, Makes a nice change tbh from RPG games. My name on there is Dranzsik btw :P Heard quite a few people from here have been playing Eve.
Hib/Pry
Marsh horde
Treeeebeard Hollowhead <Animist> ML10 RR5 Grandmaster talior

Alb/Exc

TheBigSmurth <Sorceress> 50 RR2

:treeee:

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

GOA had a few options.

Option 1 : Roll back the server 2 weeks and see what happens (the corruption might happen again)
Option 2 : Delete the WHOLE character data base (a lot of anoying customers)
Option 3 : Junk any and all data that might or might not be corrupted (which will involve a percentage of the population loosing equipment)

Those were the options the data corruption was beyond there control and stemmed from a single item which then caused other items to corrupt so instead of trying to find all that information effectivly think about it going through EVERY single character on the prydwen server both inactive and active and find each little bit of data.

Ok so they could have had better disaster managment but from what i heard when goa asked for mythics help the responce was "delete the server" so which would you have prefered a blank server with no data or some corruption that has taken a few months to fix ?

And btw i had all my chars on albion pryd on my primary account stripped of gear although it wasnt a lot of stuff it was still anoying.

although you will probbly find that the time delay is down to people not being clear on what they had on there char.Aparantly replies in leet speak have been hampering efforts with the german/spanish/italian/french gms all helping out and not understand what

GIVF ITEMZ PLZ I R LOST GOV AND I R LOST MS GLOOVES.

so thats where most of the delay has come from.
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

who out there knows what happens when a cpu overheats?

Who out there knows how often or for how long a cpu can be having overheating issues before a corruption becomes apparent?

Many years ago I was looking after a mailserver for a small company.

Everything seemed ok in the office, no data was being lost, every mail seemed to be ok when I got a call from ICL in the UK asking why I had just sent them 73000 emails (copied to 14 people in ICL so 1022000 emails in total) and counting in the space of 10 minutes... (personally I was impressed that either mine or their server could handle a load like that...) and was told that I had single handedly crashed the ICL mailservers. (guess they couldnt handle the load after all) when I investigated the issue our mail server had abended, and on investigating (opening the case) I found that the cpu fan was not working... gave it a little tap and off it went again after spewing the dust out at me that had clogged it to a standstill... off I trundled to get a new fan, replaced it and we were back up and running...

Thing is that to this day I do not know how long the fan had been stopped (well before times of reliable apps running to determine the core temp of the cpu) sometimes its is impossible to know.

What I do know and what has annoyed me the most is that I said to more than one GM in the first minutes after I was told about some corruption that they should get their server techs to check that the cpu's were ok... I was basically told that their techs did not need any help and that they were on the case... after almost 2 months it was posted that the issue was a cpu fan stopping and the cpu overheating causing the data corruption... which allows me a great big:

I TOLD YOU SO:P

That said, whilst I am grateful for the hosting of the game I abhore the **** poor customer service that GOA provide on an ongoing basis, their laughable attempts to "market" the game in the UK and their failure to deliver on promises made time and again... why work on storylines for GOA quests when there are people remaining stripped of their items? Why cluster when they initially said that they would not cluster till everyone had their items restored?

I said to GOA and I will say it here... their management of the situation was and is on an ongoing basis less than acceptable. They lie to us as customers time and again and the main issue is that there is nothing that we can do about it... we have the chance and the opportunity to move to the US servers or another game, but then we lose the community and the time and effort that we have put into getting our characters to the level, rr, ML etc that they have... not something I am prepared to do... so what happens... we whine, we complain we ***** and flame GOA but in the end we stay... and GOA continue to take the **** out of us endlessly.

Which is why I recently handed in my resignation as a member of the E&E team.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Takitothemacs wrote: Who out there knows how often or for how long a cpu can be having overheating issues before a corruption becomes apparent?
Use system managment/monitoring software to advise you of such failures the instant they occur. You can even get SMS alerts to your mobile these days..
look, no hands!

Now retired

Overdue

Post by Overdue »

I wonder who's item it was that corrupted the database :p
Devera the 10th Season Thunderer Blademaster
Gori the 8th Season Silver Hand Bard
Deify the 9th Season Flammen Vakten Spiritmaster

Retired

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

I know that ;)

but back in the early 90's wasnt quite the same as it is today ;)
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

[quote="Takitothemacs"]I know that ]

Didn't think hey had Fans on CPU's then :p
look, no hands!

Now retired

Tare
Emerald Rider

Post by Tare »

Aye back in those days all CPUs were equipped with monkeys with palmleaves.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”