Think mythic will use this too?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

[quote="Elrandhir"]hm that sounded funneh, if ur from Sweden ]

i know what you swedes also call a mouse, we use it aswell in belgium ;)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Phalanx
Emerald Rider

Post by Phalanx »

Sticking to the topic... I don't think Mythic will use something like this. Having a fair amount of experience in computers and programming them, and observing DAoC and how it performs, I can safely say the Mythic team aren't the most experienced software writers out there, their seemingly trial-and-error way of working wouldn't suffice to implement it. Ofcourse they could hire the experience to get the job done.

Still, I wouldn't worry about any personal or important information ending up in their hands, or actually which is the case, a hash-code of it, from which you in no way can extract the original information. If you worry about Mythic or GOA getting any crucials from you then you probably shouldn't have logged on and paid subscription with your credit card number in the first place. Then again there is the violation of your privacy, which is a different matter, though maybe we all passively agreed to this when skipping over the EULA and clicked "I agree"...
Exc Alb: Phalanx, Huxley, Odysseia, Ygrane, Fortinbrae, Gyudon, Gallaway, Normandie
Pryd Hib: Fortinbrae

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Dear Loth,

Next time you're up in court please feel free to try your "It was the victims fault your honour! If he hadn't been such a &ç*%ing stupid git ..." theories on the judge & see how impressed he/she is.

judas wrote:if it hasent been said. the law's about this kind of "spyware" is much more strict in the Eu compared to the Us. anyone know if Blizzard uses this program on the Eu WoW servers aswell?
This is interesting. Would like to know this too :)
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Lothandar wrote:Not reading past this point, no, storing cc numbers in txt files is not like storing money in a wallet. Even if you lose your wallet you don't lose all your money and id cards. Provided you weren't a dumbnut and didn't put your (eg.) monthly salary+ all your personal ids in it.

Just because we CAN store crucial information on the computer doesn't mean we have to be jackasses with all the trojans out and do it. No way I would store my passwords for important accounts (especially cc related) on my computer which is running windows and I am playing daoc on it.

Incase you didn't get it by now, no, it is not like saying that, they are like totally different, like fire and water, like the ground and the sky, like black and white, like sour and sweet, like hot and cold, like bad and good, like right and wrong.

I dare not imagining the effort made to store your passwords on a piece of paper.

Another fun contradiction in the whiners lines about his point of "oh mi gosh they get 2 much inzfo" : Why do you subject yourself to danger by opening important files while you're PLAYING A STUPID GAME ? Close that crap, plug pc off the cable modem, build a concrete wall around it, then open the (only the almighty knows why is it even there) txt files containing your entire life, in passwords.
Actualy, this problem has a common point with many other ethics problems in real life, you never know where the line is, and some companies can cross em to fast. Perhaps spying after other programs isnt a problem itself, but it is a step into direction we can be concerned of.

Your generalisation of our concerns (which are somehow deeper than "passwords in txt files"), is based on a bad knowledge of computer architecture. Every time, you pay something with your CC, it is written somewhere in your computers memory, every time you put in DAoC password, it can be found on particular memory cell. And once you have a program spying outside memory cells dedicated for his operations, line between "search: hack 4 teh win" and "search: credit card number" is a minor one. Aparently, game company won't look for CC info (after all they have our CCs already :P), but there are many other things their marketing departments are interested into...

Personaly, I am not concerned about that WoW thingie myself, but I think we're moving in wrong direction, once people get used to that kind of stuff, gaming companies will most likely take one step further, and so on, and so on...
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Lothandar
Emerald Rider

Post by Lothandar »

OohhoO wrote:Dear Loth,

Next time you're up in court please feel free to try your "It was the victims fault your honour! If he hadn't been such a &ç*%ing stupid git ..." theories on the judge & see how impressed he/she is.
I'll remember that the next time I'm in court !

Lothandar
Emerald Rider

Post by Lothandar »

HappyG wrote:Your generalisation of our concerns (which are somehow deeper than "passwords in txt files"), is based on a bad knowledge of computer architecture.
All things put aside, I seriously doubt that blizzard will use any gathered information maliciously, thus this discussion isn't going anywhere, I never said spyware programs were to be ignored because "we can just not store anything on the computer" but whining about a cheat detection method which in effect sniffs other data coincidentally is not really in place. I rather have them know that I am running mirc and windows commander than to put up with cheaters. Also if someone is really concerned about spyware, you're not forced to use your credit card for buying things online on a windows platform, you can do the same under linux too from a different computer which is behind you, for example, if you're really that much concerned about spyware.

It is also unlikely that blizzard is using their anticheat software for marketing purposes. Your examples are valid about passwords and cc numbers, but, as you yourself said, a game company is not known for hacking accounts of any sort.

1. I doubt a company that big would risk exploiting the privacy of their users.
2. Like they need it with 4 million wow subscribers.

awarkle
Emerald Rider

Post by awarkle »

they dont have to exploit the information given they just have to go hello mr advertising company "here is all the regular interests of our wow players which is 1.6 million people (or whaterver it is) " thankyou very much for that large chunk of money. next thing you know your gaming sites and stuff advertimsents change to reflect what your interested in.

Spyware in any form is bad ok i can understand why they do it to stop people from cheating but its still spyware. if they had more secure programs to prevent this kind of cheating it would be better anyways but you cant win everyone.
Albion : Arod (tic) Ponies (cleric)
Midgard : Cavewark(sham), Augwark(healer), cursiara(warlock), mistieral(valkyrie)
Hibernia : Bastilia (vamp)
Albion (glast) : Zalasta (sorc) awark(wiz) mincer (minstrel) + others
DAOC E&E find me on any char for assistance.

Cuchuluhain
Emerald Rider

Post by Cuchuluhain »

Dear hibbies, and awarkle the traitorous scumbag alb (hi warky mate !)

1) Read the EULA, you agreed to let them do it
2) you didnt read the eula, tough crap, you agreed, have fun
3) theyre ogling the processes on your pc, thats it
4) theyre not reporting ANYTHING but violations
5) if it cuts down on cheaters, GOOD
6) there are no functioning radar programs for wow, think about it for a bit

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Cuchuluhain wrote: 1) Read the EULA, you agreed to let them do it
EU laws > EULA, and if not, we can still debate about the ethics of such things :P
6) there are no functioning radar programs for wow, think about it for a bit
Why the hell would someone want to use radar in WoW at all? You can see from one part of BG to another anyways, and tbh I never though hunters have that much of advantage because they have built-in radar :P
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

The point that people seem to of missed, is that they are broadcasting potentially private information (dependant on what you have opened) across a public network, from client to their server.

Importantly (if the information given is correct) they do not know what they are broadcasting. This means any idiot using a packet sniffer at any of the routers between your PC and the blizzard server could access your personal information. This is clearly a breach of privacy that i believe cannot be covered by any EULA.

In law an EULA is not the final word, just because you click agree does not make it in itself binding in it's entirety. This is dependant on what the EULA tries to bind you to.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”