Easiest & Hardest Class to Play in RvR?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Lothandar
Emerald Rider

Post by Lothandar »

Minstrels rarely get groups nowadays so why take stealth away from them? Not to mention that even with stealth other stealthers find them easily because in its neverending wisdom, mythic, made the minstrel the only stealther class that doesn't have access to mos.

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

Luon wrote:Also challenging classes in that case must be stealther in good grp ive had this idea since release of daoc that archers are grp chars cause its hard to match there dps. thou ive never seen a good ranger in grp looking forward to that.
Wish it were the case but unfortunately if doesnt seem to work that way.
Problem is that in a group rangers are a jack of all trades and the onlything they can do that cant be done better by other classes is the snipe from tower.
Using the bow is like casting in that you can get constantly interupted, i use an immolated bow which packs a mean punch so yes i can do a 1k critshot but to do that the target cant be moving, in combat, have shield, have bladeturn , have brittles ect, on top of that you often find that a blade of grass in the wrong place means you get a 'cant get good shot' error.
Also it takes 4 seconds to draw and fire and another 2 for arrow to reach target, during this time it can move out of range or into cover, die or anything interupting you in effect wasting the 4-6 seconds.
Sojourner and Battlemaster masterlevels are useful but other classes get them which are more use to a group (warden/bard for example)
The archer community has for years been asking for something to help groups but so far no luck. <sighs>
On the positive side (using aran as example) having a ranger in group can allow for:
Rapid door destruction and DoT's with Fools bow
Bodyguard (BM) or water breath, group teleport, PZ (Soj)
Ability to kill a near death out of range target (trueshot)
Rapid interuption with reasonable damage and thrust debuff (immolated bow/thrust arrows and rapid fire)
Arrows bypass bodyguard
Reasonable duel weild melee (blademaster-lite) :p
Critshot of doom (1k+ with immolated 5.8speed bow on some targets)
Volley (nerfed but still has uses)

So if you have a space make a rangers day and invite them into group <grin>
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Winged helm is for panzies!
I'll agree when I'm RR9 or when I can find fights where I get attacked by less than 8 enemy stealthers at once ;)
as for peeps talking about Minstrel i think they should hav stealth taken away from them , Why should albs have 3 classes that can stealth ?
Why should Hib have two stealthers with dual weild? Why should bainshees have higher DPS, higher defence and higher utility than wizards which are meant to be the pure damage dealing caster? Why should animist shrooms be allowed to nuke and insta-kill anyone through walls even if they're only in view of the shrooms for 0.00001 of a second? Not all realms are the same hence it's silly to make suggestions like that.
pff how can you see minstrel is a hard class to play with that argument....
It's because there's a lot of tools to use, but most of them are very restricted for example you can't do much else when using your charm spell (well you can twist to help but good luck twisting whilst trying to fight an opponent too :p), mezzes are fixed 3 sec and 5 sec cast times. It basically means you have to use good positioning, good timing and a good choice of what ability to make use of - more so than nearly all other classes. If you could use every single ability on the minstrel at once without restrictions and with 1.0sec cast times like all other casters then it'd be a different story.
Also challenging classes in that case must be stealther in good grp ive had this idea since release of daoc that archers are grp chars cause its hard to match there dps. thou ive never seen a good ranger in grp looking forward to that.
Have pondered about this too, I wonder how effective a ranger with say, PD4, AoM4 and bodyguard would be as a bodyguard? They'd have nice survivability whilst being able to do at least some damage at range whilst BGing - they can even get det. Also bodyguard doesn't protect against arrows, so they could potentially if the situation arose, interrupt/kill someone who's bodyguarded whilst bodyguarding someone else themselves. That said archery DPS is the lowest DPS attack in game bar 1h melee iirc. Again though, Hib has wardens as BGers who can heal and bring resist buffs so this is more likely to happen to scouts than rangers.
Minstrels rarely get groups nowadays so why take stealth away from them?
Agree, Minstrel is a nice class solo but groupwise it's a lot more lacking nowadays, although with SoS no longer being negated by speedwarp they're slightly more useful again at least. Minstrels core problem in groups is that although they rock at interrupting - I sometimes feel I can interrupt better with minstrel than I can theurg tbh because theurg always gets interrupted himself unless you rely soley on MoC which isn't always up - minstrels don't have the DPS on top. Essentially a minstrel can interrupt but do nowhere near enough DPS to kill something by himself, he can join the train but then he's not really interrupting. As my theurg it's much harder to stay uninterrupted and instead interrupt the enemy, but if I can interrupt the enemy I can also then provide serious DPS with spec DD - something a minstrel can't add. Prior to the latest speedwarp change there was little point having a minstrel, now with light tanks being 100% unstoppable due to new SoS, new det., charge 3 and reduced reuse purge however I'm swaying back towards preferring a minstrel because a) they don't insta-die with no possibility of kiting even (champ snare, skald snare) and b) SoS is real nice again, in fact, when it's up there's no point the enemy group even having a primary CCer. Minstrels aren't gimped by any means, they're a pretty nice class solo but they're in no way essential to a group anymore, you can live without one perfectly easy. That said, with SoS and the return of light tank domination you can even live without a sorc and just fill up with 4 or so mercs, a pally, 2 clerics and a minstrel or so nowadays, strange times indeed :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

[quote="Xest"]I'll agree when I'm RR9 or when I can find fights where I get attacked by less than 8 enemy stealthers at once ]

wow heavy reading
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not: nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.......

El Grapplo RR10+ ML10 Warden :sheepskip
Silken RR3 Chanter :banghead:
Toothless

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sry :<

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

less typing, more pve Xest!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Only if you design my infs SC template.

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

QQ, will make a leet SC for you then!
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Hardest: nightshade
Reason?
Everyone hates them.

Luon
Emerald Rider

Post by Luon »

still dont see why you say minstrel is a hard class to play.....

you can pick fights vs non stealth classes.

you mezz stun charm abla dd´s fz ps and all dem artis. you can get artis that lower damage on you and you gain end/mana you have chain so you dont instant die vs stealthers. and its a hard class to play...

also if you look at the ra list minstrels have its kinda silleh, sos ip am and so on and so on ......

so you basically say its hard to play a class with all thoose abilites cause you have to "time them right" really ^^

im not saying minstrel needs a nerf or anything but imo its silleh to say its a hard class to play,

basically it comes down to use an ability at the right moment.. and minstrels have alot more abilites to use then if you take a bard for example :D

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”